Do I have a cooling issue? Solid fan cooler for everyday use?

fprish

Limp Gawd
I am in the process of building a new PC so I'm leaving the old one with my parents. I turned it on after a while of no usage and CPU overheating message appeared. I figured it was time to replace the paste and did (a few times) with little to no success. I could get it to turn on eventually but the temps would be all over the place, eventually landing on at 90 degrees under 20% load. Could the AIO be done at this point? Below are some pics showing some of what I was seeing.

Middle pic to the right shows the pump at ~2000 rpm, which suggests it's working properly? idk.

If it is the cooler, what is a good fan cooler I can replace the AIO with? Is the NH-D15 overkill for everyday usage? My parents will mostly use it for bills etc. I may potentially use it to game during the holidays when I visit.

i6700K
Corsair H115i
Asus Z170 Deluxe
MSI 1080

Attachments

• 61d5b0e3-6782-41d3-b68f-803029ebf321.jpg
    61d5b0e3-6782-41d3-b68f-803029ebf321.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 0
  • c98cab58-90b1-4044-926e-08d75a886f12.JPG
    c98cab58-90b1-4044-926e-08d75a886f12.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 0
  • c0d274cb-86c9-4cce-9b58-43fdd3f3e616.JPG
    c0d274cb-86c9-4cce-9b58-43fdd3f3e616.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 0
make sure whatever header the pump is on is at 100% and make sure its actually spinning. if not and you want an air cooler, id grab a ps/pa120 se and call it a day.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNDTJVPL
https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Peerless-SE-Aluminium-Technology/dp/B09LGY38L4
My mb has a w_pump header and I tried that one, same result so I switched it back to CPU_Fan header. I checked the pump to see what mode it's on and it was on quiet mode. I switched that to performance mode and now the temps are down again. I guess that's what it was.... The pump is now at ~3000 rpms.

Attachments

• 1701540934527.png
    1701540934527.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The first thing you need to do with an AIO that's been sitting around unused for a long time is to shake it around and bit and have it run with the radiator above the pump, preferably with the ports facing downwards so that the air in the system will work its way out of the pump/lines and re-settle in the radiator. This is a lot easier if you remove it first and run it outside the system, but it doesn't really matter how you do it; you can just tip the system over to reach the proper orientation while it runs and works the air bubbles out.

Remember that all AIOs are underfilled on purpose and will have air pockets that take a bit to move around, especially if you don't have it running at max speed. Also, depending on the age of the unit (especially if yours is an original 2018 model), it may have experienced additional fluid loss from line permeation, reducing cooling efficiency + increasing likelihood of the pump pushing air if the radiator is in an unoptimal orientation.

The first thing you need to do with an AIO that's been sitting around unused for a long time is to shake it around and bit and have it run with the radiator above the pump, preferably with the ports facing downwards so that the air in the system will work its way out of the pump/lines and re-settle in the radiator. This is a lot easier if you remove it first and run it outside the system, but it doesn't really matter how you do it; you can just tip the system over to reach the proper orientation while it runs and works the air bubbles out.

Remember that all AIOs are underfilled on purpose and will have air pockets that take a bit to move around, especially if you don't have it running at max speed. Also, depending on the age of the unit (especially if yours is an original 2018 model), it may have experienced additional fluid loss from line permeation, reducing cooling efficiency + increasing likelihood of the pump pushing air if the radiator is in an unoptimal orientation.

Yeah just replace that thing with a $25 air cooler. The 6700k doesn't run hot to begin with an old AIO's are just begging for trouble. If its being left with someone without computer repair abilities, a small air cooler is a way better idea. If its just for internet use, I would pull the 1080 out too and use the integrated GPU. Less to go wrong, less drivers, less heat.

Yeah just replace that thing with a $25 air cooler. The 6700k doesn't run hot to begin with an old AIO's are just begging for trouble. If its being left with someone without computer repair abilities, a small air cooler is a way better idea. If its just for internet use, I would pull the 1080 out too and use the integrated GPU. Less to go wrong, less drivers, less heat.
it’s working better now having the pump in performance mode. ~3000 rpm vs ~2000 rpm in quiet mode. I think I’ll leave it as is until something else happens. When it does then I’ll just buy a fan cooler.

Why doesn’t the pump have a balanced mode like the fans? Are pump settings normally like this?

Not sure what to do with the 1080 if I do pull it out. I feel like it’s too much hassle to pull out and sell for ~$100 vs leaving it in.

When I go home for the holidays I’ll still use the PC to game a bit.

it’s working better now having the pump in performance mode. ~3000 rpm vs ~2000 rpm in quiet mode. I think I’ll leave it as is until something else happens. When it does then I’ll just buy a fan cooler.

I have a bad feeling about that. You shouldn't need to run the pump at 3000 rpm just to cool that CPU for casual use. I think it's on its last legs, probably badly underfilled, and running the pump at max all the time isn't going to help. If I were you I would replace it now, or you're likely to get a call from your parents that the computer is crashing due to overheading, and it will probably happen when they actually need it.

I have a bad feeling about that. You shouldn't need to run the pump at 3000 rpm just to cool that CPU for casual use. I think it's on its last legs, probably badly underfilled, and running the pump at max all the time isn't going to help. If I were you I would replace it now, or you're likely to get a call from your parents that the computer is crashing due to overheading, and it will probably happen when they actually need it.
I hear you. Okay I’ll keep an eye out for a deal on a NH-D15 or the one linked above here. If I find a good deal I’ll just pull the trigger and get it over with.

your aio seems to be working just fine. dont let them talk you into replacing it for no reason. if temps go funny again, or the pump gets noisy then replace it.

your aio seems to be working just fine. dont let them talk you into replacing it for no reason. if temps go funny again, or the pump gets noisy then replace it.
I've been googling to see if there are benchmarks on AIO pump rpm's but can't find anything. Is ~3000 rpm normal? too high? too low? etc but I couldn't find anything concrete. I built this PC back in 2016 so I definitely don't expect things to run as if they were new.

I've been googling to see if there are benchmarks on AIO pump rpm's but can't find anything. Is ~3000 rpm normal? too high? too low? etc but I couldn't find anything concrete. I built this PC back in 2016 so I definitely don't expect things to run as if they were new.
its the normal full speed. the new version of them are about 2000rpm. ive always run my pumps at full.

An AIO works fine until it doesn't. And then you might have to replace the entire PC. Happened to me and I've seen it happen to others. I'd never even bother with an AIO, even a new one. An old one? Trash it. People only buy'em because they're marketed to clueless gamers.

If this was some cheap air cooler in there from the beginning, this thread would never have happened.

An AIO works fine until it doesn't. And then you might have to replace the entire PC. Happened to me and I've seen it happen to others. I'd never even bother with an AIO, even a new one. An old one? Trash it. People only buy'em because they're marketed to clueless gamers.

If this was some cheap air cooler in there from the beginning, this thread would never have happened.
Well this AIO never had any issues until now, and even now idk if it’s an issue. It’s been 7 years since I built this rig.

Well this AIO never had any issues until now, and even now idk if it’s an issue. It’s been 7 years since I built this rig.

7 years is a long time for a sealed unit. Especially something Asetek based. You don’t need a $100 d-15 for that rig, a regular $20 120mm cooler like the thermalright assassin will do the job perfectly.

7 years is a long time for a sealed unit. Especially something Asetek based. You don’t need a $100 d-15 for that rig, a regular $20 120mm cooler like the thermalright assassin will do the job perfectly.
Sweet, thank you. I’ll see how the AIO performs under load when I’m home and will probably get the $20 one. It’s nothing if it helps the PC live a bit longer.

Sweet, thank you. I’ll see how the AIO performs under load when I’m home and will probably get the $20 one. It’s nothing if it helps the PC live a bit longer.

Good luck man, I've just seen way too many clogged/empty AIO's and I've broken down a lot of units. I had a Corsair H100i I took off of a build I did for my buddy years ago (also a 6700k I believe) and when I opened the cooler there was literally like 5 drops of liquid in it. After that I don't use AIO on long-term builds for people, I get the simplest heatsink that will do a good job and put more of the budget towards the parts that really matter. For my own builds I naturally have a 360 RGB bling bling expensive AIO because I can though. Just my .02

Good luck man, I've just seen way too many clogged/empty AIO's and I've broken down a lot of units. I had a Corsair H100i I took off of a build I did for my buddy years ago (also a 6700k I believe) and when I opened the cooler there was literally like 5 drops of liquid in it. After that I don't use AIO on long-term builds for people, I get the simplest heatsink that will do a good job and put more of the budget towards the parts that really matter. For my own builds I naturally have a 360 RGB bling bling expensive AIO because I can though. Just my .02
mmmm given liquid reduces over time, are you able to replace it? DIY etc?

Some coolers allowed for it with a fill port, some don't. Its possible to do but risky as a lot of them the only access is the cold plate and they usually have screws that are run into plastic and may not tighten all the way the second time. I've had a lot of them leak after being opened.

yes you can. ive refurbished a corsair or two that were cooked by FX chips....
besides all this, if temps are back to normal under a load, then i think the only thing "wrong" was the pump speed.

yes you can. ive refurbished a corsair or two that were cooked by FX chips....
besides all this, if temps are back to normal under a load, then i think the only thing "wrong" was the pump speed.

if the pump is running it should not be overheating, period. The 6700k is a tiny heat load compared to current gen chips and the h115i is a 280mm radiator. It’s clearly got something wrong with it, either cavitation, liquid loss, or gunk buildup on the cold plate. Maybe he can pull the cold plate and just take a look, usually if you hold it just right you won’t even lose any liquid.

I am in the process of building a new PC so I'm leaving the old one with my parents. I turned it on after a while of no usage and CPU overheating message appeared. I figured it was time to replace the paste and did (a few times) with little to no success. I could get it to turn on eventually but the temps would be all over the place, eventually landing on at 90 degrees under 20% load. Could the AIO be done at this point? Below are some pics showing some of what I was seeing.

Middle pic to the right shows the pump at ~2000 rpm, which suggests it's working properly? idk.

If it is the cooler, what is a good fan cooler I can replace the AIO with? Is the NH-D15 overkill for everyday usage? My parents will mostly use it for bills etc. I may potentially use it to game during the holidays when I visit.

i6700K
Corsair H115i
Asus Z170 Deluxe
MSI 1080
Noctua U9 performed as.good as.my D15 on a 10700k if you need data point

Back