Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

I encountered something really odd this morning. I was in town and yanking aspects out of some gear I just got. My screen then got garbled for a second and mysteriously my 9 health flasks became 12. The gear I was wearing became the gear I had on yesterday. Stuff I had mostly sold or broken down, too...only it now had better stats. I've restarted my game twice and I still have 12 flasks and that gear that should have been long gone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I encountered something really odd this morning. I was in town and yanking aspects out of some gear I just got. My screen then got garbled for a second and mysteriously my 9 health flasks became 12. The gear I was wearing became the gear I had on yesterday. Stuff I had mostly sold or broken down, too...only it now had better stats. I've restarted my game twice and I still have 12 flasks and that gear that should have been long gone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Screenshot, I need 12 potions :D

Screenshot, I need 12 potions :D
Diablo.jpg

I put at least 35 hours into this and I am only at level 43 with a druid. I have no idea how much time you'd have to sink into this game to complain about lack of content this close the game release.

For reference I still have at least 50% of the map to discover. I have done no side missions. Only have done relevant dungeons with aspects that help me as a druid. You'd either have to be a no lifer gamer with lots of free time or just rushing the game content with guides and specific builds. Then you complain about content? Granted it has only been a few people but man, how much time do you have?

On the topic of time, unless you are keeping track of your time how would you know? There is not in game timer as far as I know and I know the launcher does not do it. So theres that.

Excellent game so far. I don't mind the price of admission. I am taking my time and enjoying it.

No, you're just very slow at leveling. 35 hours and level 43? That's pretty much 1 hour per level. How did you even manage that? AFKing in game?
And you have not even hit the insane grind at lvl 70.

I can see how playing on world 1 and being OCD about doing every single "!" quest, always popping into the little cellar dungeons, selling gear, etc. can waste a lot of time. I started off that way and a friend told me to stop and just move on with the story. I probably spent 25 hours getting to around level 40. The actual story portion of the game isn't all that long or involved, which I found a little disappointing.

This is my first Diablo as I came from more of an EQ background than arpg’s. I like exploring and doing all the side quests. I changed to tier 2 around lvl 15 or so As I started learning to play a bit more. I was less than half way through the 2nd main area and level 40 or so when I looked online more about the main quest and the 50 plus game. I went through the main quest only at that point and didn’t finish till lvl 56 and was dying to get to tier 3 by then as 2 was too easy.

I’m now recently on t3 and enjoying all the new content and challenges. Guess I’ll be starting a new character soon for Season 1.

No, you're just very slow at leveling. 35 hours and level 43? That's pretty much 1 hour per level. How did you even manage that? AFKing in game?
And you have not even hit the insane grind at lvl 70.
35 I suppose may be an overestimation. Regardless I have never been AFK, and have never just grinded mobs randomly. Either way I am rather enjoying the game. I doubt I'd put any grind like hours into this game, let alone any game anymore.

I can see how playing on world 1 and being OCD about doing every single "!" quest, always popping into the little cellar dungeons, selling gear, etc. can waste a lot of time. I started off that way and a friend told me to stop and just move on with the story. I probably spent 25 hours getting to around level 40. The actual story portion of the game isn't all that long or involved, which I found a little disappointing.
And maybe I also did that in the beginning for a few hours I do not remember. And I gave up on the story early on. It was not that good honestly.

In general, I've been a bit disappointed with Diablo 4. The open world nature of the map no longer necessitates multiple playthroughs, but I think I actually liked doing that. It's better than these random "end game activities" and 4-5 dungeon layouts that are as repetitious as Dragon Age 2. I get that some people really love loot grinding and perfectly optimizing their stats and such, but that's not really me. Ditto with mashing out my skills in order in a crowd so big that you can't even see what's happening. I would have preferred the core game to have more substance. I've enjoyed the previous games way more than this one, and I'm talking the pure launch versions, too.

I'm extremely critical of Diablo 4 because it's my most anticipated game in the last 5 years. And I both love and hate it.
It has great core to become a fantastic game. But if they force seasons with minor changes every 3 or so months, it's going to lose 90% of the population. ESPECIALLY now that they had to backtrack with letting us carry the explored map and Lilith statues lol, that's a ton of hours of content removed from each season. Good, let them work instead of being lazy with content.

I have zero interest in repeating the same content just beause a season pass offers some new cosmetics. And I love cosmetics. It's why I still play Fortnite, the game keeps me logging in every day just to check what cool stuff there is in the shop.
When novelty and honeymoon phase is over, you'll feel the same.

...and my 12 potions went back to 9 just as randomly as they appeared in the first place. Never even ran into a situation where they were needed. For the most part, my rogue doesn't require a ton of health potions. I have aspects that are constantly healing me and making me invulnerable. When I die, it's usually one of those situations where something piles on insane damage so quickly that I can't heal in time.

I'm extremely critical of Diablo 4 because it's my most anticipated game in the last 5 years. And I both love and hate it.
It has great core to become a fantastic game. But if they force seasons with minor changes every 3 or so months, it's going to lose 90% of the population.
I don't think the majority of players would stay, no matter what they do. I think the kind of players who spend hundreds of hours on a game are the minority.

...and my 12 potions went back to 9 just as randomly as they appeared in the first place. Never even ran into a situation where they were needed. For the most part, my rogue doesn't require a ton of health potions. I have aspects that are constantly healing me and making me invulnerable. When I die, it's usually one of those situations where something piles on insane damage so quickly that I can't heal in time.
I have pants that rolled +3 potions, out of 4 possible, that brought me up to 12. Used all of them to finally beat the butcher.

I have pants that rolled +3 potions, out of 4 possible, that brought me up to 12. Used all of them to finally beat the butcher.

I figured it was an item that was doing it, but I checked and nothing I had mentioned it. Those potions showed up after a weird glitchy moment where my equipment seem to revert to a previous set, so that's probably related.

I've only encountered the butcher twice. The first time was very early on when I basically had nothing and he was taking 1/2 my life per hit. The last time I was level 50 and it was actually just like most boss fights, though. For all the fear I had, it wasn't that bad and he didn't really drop anything worth a damn 🤷‍♂️

Oddly I have left the game twice in the last few days only to logon and find recent checkpoints unchecked, a stronghold not saved (that was completed prior) and some gear back in my inventory I had sold or broken down. Happened to me twice. So something is up with the server save state system.

And I’ve never seen the butcher. I’m level 44 now and still have no clue when he will appear.

I usually encounter the Butcher 4-5 times a week. OF course I do play quite a bit as I have been grinding for gear etc. Just made the switch to Bone Spear spec. Love getting those 1.8mil+ crit hits lol.

I usually encounter the Butcher 4-5 times a week. OF course I do play quite a bit as I have been grinding for gear etc. Just made the switch to Bone Spear spec. Love getting those 1.8mil+ crit hits lol.
I have a character at 54 and a character at 29. I have yet to see The Butcher in the retail version of the game.

I killed The Butcher once on my rogue when he was lower level. Never at my level or higher. He seems quite hard for a bow rogue to take down.
But my barbarian has taken him down solo at level 10-11 and a couple of times at lvl 50+ with a friend. Dropped his cleaver cosmetic for a mount.

I killed The Butcher once on my rogue when he was lower level. Never at my level or higher. He seems quite hard for a bow rogue to take down.
But my barbarian has taken him down solo at level 10-11 and a couple of times at lvl 50+ with a friend. Dropped his cleaver cosmetic for a mount.
I got the cleaver too. A shame it's so small.

Only looking forward to the new boss and the season pass, the actual gameplay content they included is rather unexciting.
Farming gems... fun.

Next season we'll get some unique aspect farming because neither gems nor aspects require Blizzard to do some actual work - creating new weapons/armor and cosmetics because those will be kept for the store.
You heard it here first.

So, how does this whole season thing work exactly? I've seen some clickbait articles talking about finding all the statues and revealing the whole map, but what exactly happens to my current character? Is there any point to continuing to gain levels/gear right now?

So, how does this whole season thing work exactly? I've seen some clickbait articles talking about finding all the statues and revealing the whole map, but what exactly happens to my current character? Is there any point to continuing to gain levels/gear right now?
It works the same as Diablo II and III.

You will keep your progression on FOW and (SOME) Renown as well as your Lilith Statues. The rest you start from scratch.

Pretty sure a line dev stated that everyone has to start over with their characters. Kinda pisses me off seeing as I have been grinding away to level 85 and the thought to starting a new character just to play in Season 1 really chaps my ass.

Perso I'm not starting over. Once I'm at max level, I'm waiting for the next expansion to continue the story with my current character. There's a limit at how much fun can be extracted from gear hunting and Paragon board progression; can't see myself doing that again from scratch on a new character.

Yesterday I managed to get the Raiment of the Infinite on my Sorc, it's a lot of fun ! Crackling energy is underrated if your ask me. Running a lighting spear build with a focus on stun and cracking energy fully buffed up, I can chain teleport when there's enough mobs around with the passive that reduce cooldown and decimate non stop anything that pops up. Those cursed chest are particularly fun ! Wave after wave just instantly die as they spawn. It's to the point where I barely use lightning spear anymore; crackling energy just kills the zerg. I do die if I don't pay attention to my positioning though, but that's just how Sorc is right now; can't take many hits.

Depends on how long a season is. Pat of Exile, after six weeks I'm over it. Waiting for the new league. Reset makes things new again. Try a new build. New mechanic. New setup. As long as this game switches it up enough, I can see the appeal of a character wipe. But, if its just wiping the character for a new boss or new cosmetics, then pleh. Really only works if the economy is moving along and there's a chunky bit of playstyle change. Path of Exile has that nailed.

I played Diablo 1-3 and apparently never did any of this seasonal stuff. I played the same character from beginning to end in all of them. Entirely solo. I replayed the standard game from beginning to end 4-5 times each (+DLCs) and that was that. From the easiest to the hardest difficulty. After that, I was done. Since this game doesn't have the option to replay the regular game repeatedly with the same character, I don't really know what to do.

I never really got into D3. I think I only played D1&2 for Story and the expansions. Never paid attention to the Paragon stuff and the Seasons. This is my first taste of it.
With these types of games, the journey is the experience, not the end game. That's what seasons are for, to make the journey fresh again.

This is one area Diablo 3 hurt the overall series, because it focused too much on an end game. It's like with Diablo or Diablo 2, you hit the end game fairly early. The same holds true for 4. Really, the game should be over around level 70, and the rest is just optimizing to make you slightly faster or stronger, but don't expect anything new past 90+.

I'm glad people are enjoying it. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just burned out with the genre. Completed campaign and only played a few times since. Still felt it was worth every penny though and loved the production quality.

I've always been more of an FPS/adventure gamer at heart anyway rather than an arpg player. POE was a really enjoyable detour for me for a while though. Kind of insane in retrospect how many hours I put into that game..

Wow this thread died pretty easily. I haven't logged in for almost a week. Guess all the criticism about the game was justified :whistle:

I dunno I'm still playing.... Level 73 Necro in world Tier IV torment. Done almost everything except the nightmare dungeons.

I know I'll end up getting it eventually. Just seems like there needs a little ironing done and the price has to come down a bit.

Wow this thread died pretty easily. I haven't logged in for almost a week. Guess all the criticism about the game was justified :whistle:
I can't believe I took vacation for the game never again. Game has no depth at all if it had depth I would like it.
Can't wait for BG3 to roll out that is game that requires thought.

The only part I liked about Diablo 4 was the starting area everything went downhill from there just the pacing is like 0000010010101 after that.

Back