Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

Noob question. I just finished the campaign on my druid. Picked up enough aspects to run a trampleslide build. So I basically gather up packs of mobs and run through them to burn them down.

Is the damage of all my different skills dependent on my weapon as a baseline? Or do some skills have defined damage values independent of your weapon?

Thanks in advance.

So, I reached WT4 last night at level 71-72. Barely made it through the Capstone but had a level 56 guy to draw aggro a bit and managed to beat the boss even rezing him a few times. When I got to WT4, I was utterly underwhelmed. The volume of drops is not better, it's worse. The legendaries I was getting in WT3 were everywhere and I was under this damn impression that all the good shit was in WT4. I have a rare staff that's doing something like 300 more DPS than my legendaries were. But the Armor isn't much better, the stats on the item drops are junk and I just don't get it. I fought like hell to get here and it's hot garbage. The enemies are utterly brutal to fight at this tier.

I will stick with it a while, but I don't know how I will advance getting my ass kicked as I am in this Tier.

Rebuilt the Sorceror around an almost all Ice Build, kept arc lash due to damage and AoE hits. But none of it matters in WT4, I'm killing enemies but it's a maddening grind fest. Mobs just obliterate me here.

I'm gonna try to get the Sorc up to 100 but, I may never play this damn game again once/if I do. All the joy I had in the beginning has been gradually leached out of me with every nerf they introduced.

So, I reached WT4 last night at level 71-72. Barely made it through the Capstone but had a level 56 guy to draw aggro a bit and managed to beat the boss even rezing him a few times. When I got to WT4, I was utterly underwhelmed. The volume of drops is not better, it's worse. The legendaries I was getting in WT3 were everywhere and I was under this damn impression that all the good shit was in WT4. I have a rare staff that's doing something like 300 more DPS than them legendaries were. But the Armor isn't much better, the stats on the item drops are junk and I just don't get it. I fought like hell to get here and it's hot garbage. The enemies are utterly brutal to fight at this tier.

I will stick with it a while, but I don't know how I will advance getting my ass kicked as I am in this Tier.

Rebuilt the Sorceror around an almost all Ice Build, kept arc lash due to damage and AoE hits. But none of it matters in WT4, I'm killing enemies but it's a maddening grind fest. Mobs just obliterate me here.

I'm gonna try to get the Sorc up to 100 but, I may never play this damn game again once/if I do. All the joy I had in the beginning has been gradually leached out of me with every nerf they introduced.
You need to pivot from glass cannon to armored ballista in WT4 with Sorcerer. Stack damage reduction from distant and close enemies in your armor, put skill points invested into Glass Cannon into a defensive passive like Icy Veil, stick Skulls in your jewelry, etc.

The itemization scaling in WT4 is a known issue. People are farming WT3 for gear, WT4 for XP. Items soft cap at item level 725, which you can get in abundance in WT3. The only advantage to the Ancestral gear you get in WT4 is the increased range of affix bonuses, but the legendary and unique aspects attached to them are not any better than non-Ancestral gear.

OK, that's solid advice. I already have the skulls in all my jewelry. I will drop Glass Cannon as you suggest.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with the game after all the hours I have dumped into it. It's not like other games I've dumped hundreds or thousands of hours into and I walked away satisfied. This one leaves me shaking my head and frustrated.

I guess I got my money's worth, at the very least.

OK, that's solid advice. I already have the skulls in all my jewelry. I will drop Glass Cannon as you suggest.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with the game after all the hours I have dumped into it. It's not like other games I've dumped hundreds or thousands of hours into and I walked away satisfied. This one leaves me shaking my head and frustrated.

I guess I got my money's worth, at the very least.
Another perk of wt4 is if you get a unique drop in nightmare dungeons it's guaranteed to be Ancestral.

I'm confident they'll improve things.

The only Diablo that wasn't a mess at launch was the first one and we're also coming off of Diablo 3's best season ever which likely raised expectations even more.

With all the live metrics they have for D4 the best way to send a message that they're not doing a good job is to just stop playing, for those on the more negative end of the spectrum.

I'm confident they'll improve things.

The only Diablo that wasn't a mess at launch was the first one and we're also coming off of Diablo 3's best season ever which likely raised expectations even more.

With all the live metrics they have for D4 the best way to send a message that they're not doing a good job is to just stop playing, for those on the more negative end of the spectrum.
During the campfire stream it was implied that a huge patch is going to be deployed shortly before season 1 that includes a slew of balance changes. 13 pages of patch notes was said at some point.

I've just about had my fill and everyone that I know personally is in the same boat. Made it to 60 and everything just feels like busy work. Enjoyed it and perhaps will come back in season 1 but im burned out.

I've just about had my fill and everyone that I know personally is in the same boat. Made it to 60 and everything just feels like busy work. Enjoyed it and perhaps will come back in season 1 but im burned out.
I’m at level 72 now and feel the same way. I’ve not seen any decent gear improvements in the last 3-4 levels so I’ve lost the motivation to grind any further. I’m gonna probably take a break till season 1 and then start a different character.

I didn't even make it to 60. My main is at 51 and I simply do not care any more. It was fun at the lower levels but as soon as the campaign is done it feels like absolute work. Plus the game started stuttering/freezing badly all the time a few days ago and its unplayable like that so I log in for a few minute and log right back out now.

Haven't played in a few days because I slept on my right elbow and got ulnar tunnel syndrome. It usually takes a few days for the feeling to come back completely when that happens to me.

I'm not burned out yet. Mostly because I have been taking days off specifically to prevent it, but the itemization is a bit basic.

It is just personal preference, but I hope they go the route of D2 and begin introducing a ton of Unique items. They don't all have to be end game viable, but it would definitely bring some variety and spice to the items.

I have a question. I have been playing on my handheld and I have a issue selling stuff. I am using the built in controller. At a merchant I LB over to sell, after a few seconds it automatically goes back to purchase. I thought it could be the button or something but the main menu, toon menu etc do not automatically move over screens. Has anyone else seen this?

I mean everyone should know once ya beat the campaign it becomes a grind for gear. It's been that way in Diablo for a long long time.

Right but grinding in this one isn't fun.
Funny, I find that im having the most fun grinding the gear. Way better than D2 and D3 imo.

Very easy to get top gear. Grind the Nightmare hellcide (Not Hell) to get around 350 cinders. Swap over to hell and get the Chest of Mysteries. Ususally get between 2-5 legendaries per chest. If you do this on hell you get the higher item level items.

Use this link to find where the chests are. https://diablo4.life/trackers/helltide

If you become fast enough you can get between 3-6 chests per hour depending on the area. Thats at least 8-20 legendaries an hour. 90% of my end game gear has come from those.

I didn't even make it to 60. My main is at 51 and I simply do not care any more. It was fun at the lower levels but as soon as the campaign is done it feels like absolute work. Plus the game started stuttering/freezing badly all the time a few days ago and its unplayable like that so I log in for a few minute and log right back out now.

It started to stutter/lag very badly yesterday, pretty much everywhere except at Dungeons. I thought my wireless keyboard/mouse was the cause, but at this point I am not even sure.

Word. Don’t have any perf issues though.

It started to stutter/lag very badly yesterday, pretty much everywhere except at Dungeons. I thought my wireless keyboard/mouse was the cause, but at this point I am not even sure.

Glad I'm not the only one, I ran around checking my overclocks and software trying to figure out what was happening. I finally ran a different game and it was butter smooth so I knew it was the game itself.

Glad I'm not the only one, I ran around checking my overclocks and software trying to figure out what was happening. I finally ran a different game and it was butter smooth so I knew it was the game itself.
Most likely server issues. Your latency may be fine, but the servers themselves might be having trouble processing data for whatever reason. Recall that the US only has two sites covering the entire country: One in California and the other in Illinois.

Most likely server issues. Your latency may be fine, but the servers themselves might be having trouble processing data for whatever reason. Recall that the US only has two sites covering the entire country: One in California and the other in Illinois.

Yeah maybe, all I know is it kills my already limited interest. I'm not a hardcore player that is rushing to 100, and most builds feel anemic at best. You don't feel powerful at any point except like level 1-5 where you can one shot regular mobs.

I finally got Diablo 4, been playing for few days now, other than HDR looking like crap - no real issues, and it is an enjoyable game. Its obviously well polished but for some reason not having as much fun as I did with Grim Dawn. Granted, I am a noob when it comes to arpgs, so my opinion should not carry much weight, but Grim Dawn just felt more satisfying and old school and builds felt like they were more fun. Really making me wish they would start working on Grim Dawn 2 with upgraded graphics / new settings.

BTW for those struggling with crappy HDR, I found this workaround

As a temporary solution, you can apply a color profile that "fixes" Windows's HDR tone curve:

https://github.com/dylanraga/win11hdr-srgb-to-gamma2.2-icm#icm-dl

The reason SDR currently looks better is that HDR on Windows engages a different tone curve than what is conventional on SDR (gamma 2.2), making SDR-mastered content look flat when viewed in Windows HDR. We can use a color profile to transform the Windows HDR tone curve into the SDR gamma-2.2 curve, which fixes the issue for Diablo IV (as well as any game enhanced with Windows Auto HDR, along with any SDR content viewed within Windows HDR).

A caveat is that this curve mapping will also apply to native HDR content, which doesn't need it, and it will make their shadows darker. You can either disable the color profile when viewing native HDR content, or just live with the slight boost in contrast for the convenience of leaving Windows HDR always on (which is what I do).

Source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/13zezu9/diablo_4_hdr_is_it_still_broken/

Last edited:
Anyone else starting to feel burnt out in WT4? Starting to feel the weight of the grind getting close to 80 and starting to feel pointless with Season 1 around the corner and essentially starting over from scratch. Really hoping they do some QoL things in Seasons that make it fresh and less of a slog. Going to switch over to FFXVI for a while to get a break.

To clarify, your characters will be moved to standard league. They are not reset. They are not deleted. Still can play em too.

Most simply remake them or D3 had rebirth, to refresh your character to be seasonal.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure you'll have to make a new season character to complete battle pass. Which pretty much forces you into resetting your character.

Anyway, now that the honeymoon is over, I think Diablo 4 is a great looking yet shallow game. I have no idea what took them so long to create assets and the game world which your horse gets stuck in every nook and cranny.
Diablo playstyle is outdated, I want more than just grind gear in nightmare dungeon lvl 50 so I can go to lvl 52 and then grind to get to lvl 55 and so on. And I think the old players have evolved or aged and can't spend too much time on a game anymore (like me), not to mention the new kids who don't care for the grind.
I'm probably going to take a break until next season and see what's new and after that decide if I want to continue playing or not.

I finally got Diablo 4, been playing for few days now, other than HDR looking like crap - no real issues, and it is an enjoyable game. Its obviously well polished but for some reason not having as much fun as I did with Grim Dawn. Granted, I am a noob when it comes to arpgs, so my opinion should not carry much weight, but Grim Dawn just felt more satisfying and old school and builds felt like they were more fun. Really making me wish they would start working on Grim Dawn 2 with upgraded graphics / new settings.
Grim Dawn has been around for years and has really had time to perfect it's gameplay loop. Most of Crate Entertainment has been working together for decades, at least since they were the original Iron Lore working on Titan Quest (still one of my favorites) so they've got that magic down. While I think the D4 team is one of the best Blizzard has put together in a long while it'll take some time for D4 to hit that golden spot. D2 and D3 were the same in my opinion.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure you'll have to make a new season character to complete battle pass. Which pretty much forces you into resetting your character.

Anyway, now that the honeymoon is over, I think Diablo 4 is a great looking yet shallow game. I have no idea what took them so long to create assets and the game world which your horse gets stuck in every nook and cranny.
Diablo playstyle is outdated, I want more than just grind gear in nightmare dungeon lvl 50 so I can go to lvl 52 and then grind to get to lvl 55 and so on. And I think the old players have evolved or aged and can't spend too much time on a game anymore (like me), not to mention the new kids who don't care for the grind.
I'm probably going to take a break until next season and see what's new and after that decide if I want to continue playing or not.
I believe you are right and I think the game will flatline a lot faster than Blizzard expected.

Diablo 3 had better game play and a better skill system. They should bring back something like runes to modify skills and make them unique. Character felt the same since like 8 or so, and I'm level 60 now.

Diablo 3 had better game play and a better skill system. They should bring back something like runes to modify skills and make them unique. Character felt the same since like 8 or so, and I'm level 60 now.
You're wrong on both accounts and what D3 did do extremely well took them years to refine and get there. It seems a lot of you have never played a Diablo game at Launch or at all or have completely forgotten what they were like.

I said it before launch and I'll say it again: No endless dungeon/levels or leaderboard = progression brick wall.
When you can see the end of the tunnel you lose motivation.

You're wrong on both accounts and what D3 did do extremely well took them years to refine and get there. It seems a lot of you have never played a Diablo game at Launch or at all or have completely forgotten what they were like.
I'm not wrong on both accounts just because it was bad at launch, it's good now and it's their game. They have decades of making Diablo games to know better than to make a dull skill system, and making your level and progression basically a cosmetic is absurd. I don't think I'm done with D4 I'm still having an okay time with it but I'm already running out of reasons to play other than playing the classes I haven't played yet. Even then you get the full experience around level 20ish.

It's a decent game- but I would I avoid rushing the campaign
The game is literally done when you finish the campaign so I would just take time exploring it and finish all the tasks. Forget about following all the gamers on youtube who put hundred of hours already and geared at their maximum. For some reason I cannot bring my self playing with another class, I just can't do it. Whatever I picked already, that is it.

I said it before launch and I'll say it again: No endless dungeon/levels or leaderboard = progression brick wall.
When you can see the end of the tunnel you lose motivation.

I never really cared for leaderboards. Does 95% of playerbase who don't play on elitist level care?
Endless dungeons... while I do agree it would be a fun concept, it's not really different from just spamming a new higher level dungeon sigil.

I never really cared for leaderboards. Does 95% of playerbase who don't play on elitist level care?
Endless dungeons... while I do agree it would be a fun concept, it's not really different from just spamming a new higher level dungeon sigil.
I don't care about leaderboards, but I do enjoy the fresh start with seasons. Hopefully Blizzard is making them feel unique in a similar way GGG was able to do with PoE. They started adding unique mechanics in the later seasons of D3, but in the end it was never anything major.

I don't care about leaderboards, but I do enjoy the fresh start with seasons. Hopefully Blizzard is making them feel unique in a similar way GGG was able to do with PoE. They started adding unique mechanics in the later seasons of D3, but in the end it was never anything major.

For Diablo 4, I never wanted it to be pay to play forever. That means lackluster updates compared to games like WoW which get huge changes each expansion. Blizzard did make those changes to Diablo 4 and we have both in game shop and season passes.
If seasons seriously don't shake things up then I will consider this game a failure. Even if it's twice as many changes as each season in D3, I will consider it a failure.

I’m at level 72 now and feel the same way. I’ve not seen any decent gear improvements in the last 3-4 levels so I’ve lost the motivation to grind any further. I’m gonna probably take a break till season 1 and then start a different character.
I'm on the edge of 73. Hitting WT4 World bosses and Legion events and the drops are garbage. I managed to get a pair of Rare's that are better than anything Legendary or unique that has dropped and it's underwhelming. Just happy I was able to push em into Legendary territory after imprinting them. However, you can't enchant or imprint unique and Sacred Items (I think ... I forget). So whatever garbage stats they have, you're stuck with. I have salvaged a number of unique items and the salvage was garbage too... I grind, grind, grind, doing Helltides and Whispers for the tree and the tree has been giving me blue items...

Yeah, the game needs a patch, BADLY.

Most the of the game to level 50 was ok. The Main story was a shitload of fetch quests that wasted time. But the endgame is MEH.

Last edited:
I'm amazed how many of their dungeons they have reused. The Art style for most of their dungeons is all used over and over again. There were basic games 10-15 years ago that randomized the dungeons. I think it was called Fate... every dungeon was totally random. It was a cheap game too, I think you can still get it on Wildtangent or something like that. I have seen the same dungeons in the campaign and the world events and such over and over again with little variation.

I would have preferred, instead of super high rez textures, that they spent more time randomizing the locations and events so that things actually felt vastly different. Immersion is like 50% of the draw of a game like this and the dungeon crawling has all been played out by around level 40 or so. You've seen almost everything the game has to offer until you hit the Lilith battle and that's only unique because she slices chunks of the map off as you fight her.

I'm kinda bummed I bought the game the 90.00 price was a pretty big waste for me. I was expecting alot more. I'm looking at slower paced games like Wartales. Or BG 3 when that comes out.

Back