Dell U2412M vs Asus PA246Q for Photoshop + Gaming?

Kirika

Gawd
How do the Dell U2412M and Asus PA246Q compare as far as color accuracy for photoshop and lag for gaming? I do quite a bit of photo work in CS5 and I currently play Battlefield 3, World of Tanks and Hellgate Global. I plan on playing Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 when they come out.

Still been holding out on upgrading to LCD since I didn't like the Dell U2311 that much as far as color accuracy or size and the Asus PA246Q is $500 which is a bit pricey especially when I want 2 or 3 of them. I can buy a pair of the dell U2412M for a bit more then 1 Asus. Is the Asus really worth the extra money? Currently on a 19 inch Sony CRT rest of system specs in sig.

Unless you're going to buy a densitometer and routinely calibrate and re-calibrate the monitor, in addition to making sure that all your color equipment is routinely calibrated and any print shops you deal with use calibrated equipment....throw the "color accuracy on a monitor" requirement out.

I've been working in the print industry for more than 10 years. Never once have I (or anyone I've ever dealt with, either a customer, designer, or someone at another print shop that I was sending work to) tried to use a monitor for color accuracy.

Lastly - Photoshop is not something that I'd consider a color accurate program either. Yes it has PMS swatches, but it also tries to force monitor profiles on you and when you open the file on another computer if that system doesn't have the same exact monitor with the same calibration settings....again, you can throw the color accuracy out the window. If you were talking about Illustrator, InDesign, or Quark....then you can moreso try to rely on the swatch book on the computer, but you still should test and adjust depending on how the piece actually prints out.

If you want color accuracy, use a PMS swatch book and run proofs off the press. :)
Ignore the monitor.

zero2dash
Thanks. I do run proofs off at the press when I do print work. I use Indesign mostly. Less Illustrator and Quark. What monitor are you running?

The U2311's that my friend had in eyefinity the colors were visibly off enough that I didn't like them that much and I rather have a 24 inch 1900x1200 screen anyway.

Friend of mine has the Asus PA246Qs and they have nice colors but she hasn't responded when I asked her how they perform in BF3.

had you considered Dell U2410? It have 14ms input lag compared to Asus 23ms and otherwise is almost identical screen color/gamut wise. Fastest games I played on it was Quake3 and Half-Life deathwatch and it's handling those fine. Input lag is noticeable with CRT in clone mode but barely.

also I would advise against Dell U2412M and any LED monitor for that matter. It's color spectrum looks just ugly imho. Complete opposite of warm and welcoming colors of WCG-CCFLs found in PA246Q and U2410.

Thanks for the info.

Designer friend says that the Asus PA246Qs is better then the Dell U2410 colorwise dunno about how it games as that wasn't her priority. She only has them as secondary screens with a FW900 as her primary screen. If the U2410 is better for games that might be something to consider also.

Trying to find someone local with a 2412M to look at but no one has one. I wasn't too happy with the U2311H's color so I can see where the color might be not to good on the 2412M either.

I've had SGI and Sony CRTs for years is my issue so most LCDs just look bad. Might just have to spring for PA246Q or U2410s then. I haven't had much luck finding a FW900 for a decent price locally.

Color on the U2412M is pretty accurate after calibration, but it's not a wide gamut monitor if that's what you need for photo work. For gaming, I've had no issues with lag or ghosting. I play mostly FPS games. Color, contrast and black depth is excellent.

The PA246Q or U2410 are going to be a bit slower for games, but I doubt you'll notice it. You might see a wee bit more ghosting.

The PA246Q or U2410 are going to be a bit slower for games, but I doubt you'll notice it. You might see a wee bit more ghosting.

I have both u2410 and u2412m. u2412m has more ghosting but lower input lag. U2410 can be used in "game mode" preset for lower input lag.

I have both u2410 and u2412m. u2412m has more ghosting but lower input lag. U2410 can be used in "game mode" preset for lower input lag.
That's good to know. I was considering the U2410, but didn't really need a wide gamut monitor. I think ghosting is a non-issue, but it can bother some hardcore gamers who need 2ms or less.

zero2dash
Thanks. I do run proofs off at the press when I do print work. I use Indesign mostly. Less Illustrator and Quark. What monitor are you running?

@ day job (small printing co) I'm using my old HP w2207. It's tweaked to my liking but I didn't really tweak it for color accuracy (and besides that it's fairly perpendicular to 3 large windows with sunlight coming in anyway). :)
I have calibrated it a few times with our eye-one unit but it seems fairly calibrated as is already (ie when I have used the eye-one, the calibration didn't change too much if I compare the before and after).

@ home HP 2710m (which replaced the w2207). I do freelance work at home but that work isn't really color dependent; primarily 1c (black) logo recreation for a company that laser etches logos on oxygen equipment.

I prefer glossy screens. ;) Seems to make colors pop more but it definitely has it's problems with glare, which is why I turn the blinds closed at the office by probably 60-70%.
I really like what I've always read about the UltraSharp's but just never really cared enough to spend the extra $$$. :eek:

Last edited:
I just came across this Asus today and im gonna get it. I been looking for a nice 23-24" monitor with height adjustment for a long time, and the IPS panel is a huge bonus. I do enjoy color accuracy. Plus the Asus comes custom calibrated to the exact serial number with paperwork included in the box.

I am in the exact same situation not being able to choose between Dell U2410 and Asus PA246Q.
My criteria is:
1. The best of them for gaming gets a +.
2. The best of them for text reading/programming gets a +.
3. One plus has the Asus since I got a small chance that Dell U2410 won't be manufactured in 2012.

Anyone can help me please?

I am in the exact same situation not being able to choose between Dell U2410 and Asus PA246Q.
My criteria is:
1. The best of them for gaming gets a +.
2. The best of them for text reading/programming gets a +.
3. One plus has the Asus since I got a small chance that Dell U2410 won't be manufactured in 2012.

Anyone can help me please?

Hi there :)

I have a U2412M. I game on it a lot and I do some Python and Perl scripting as well and I love it, text is sharp as hell. It's as close to glossy sharpness you can get without the gloss and glare. I love it for gaming especially though. Never have I owned a monitor like this and never will I have one of lesser quality the colors and black depth are impressive @ 300. Wide gamut is nice for professional photo editing otherwise the u2412m is superior. I use 10e's color settings and that makes quite the difference as well

I ended up going with the U2412m after seeing one calibrated it was good enough and I got it on the holiday sale for $315 shipped. It does well for gaming no ghosting in BF3 or Diablo 3 and editing for Photoshop CS5. After Effects and Final Cut Pro.

I ended up going with the U2412m after seeing one calibrated it was good enough and I got it on the holiday sale for $315 shipped. It does well for gaming no ghosting in BF3 or Diablo 3 and editing for Photoshop CS5. After Effects and Final Cut Pro.

what monitor were you using before? mine was such shit so the upgrade was huge... i was amazed by the color reproduction

I am also very interested in this discussion and I'm pretty much going to buy one of these two soon.

As far as I understand it the Dell has somewhat less brightness and less color depth, but makes up for it by beeing $200 cheaper.

Does anyone know if the fact that it's LED influences how it displays blacks? Can it show grayscale images better than the ASUS? Also does it have that glare coating people seem to hate about Dell monitors?

Thanks,

I am also very interested in this discussion and I'm pretty much going to buy one of these two soon.

As far as I understand it the Dell has somewhat less brightness and less color depth, but makes up for it by beeing $200 cheaper.

Does anyone know if the fact that it's LED influences how it displays blacks? Can it show grayscale images better than the ASUS? Also does it have that glare coating people seem to hate about Dell monitors?

Thanks,

yes the u2412m has an antiglare coating. some people are sensitive to it. if you owned a glossy monitor than you will most likely have a problem with it.. if you are used to matte you should like it quite a bit thats the feel i get atleast.

the blacks are extremely deep and black on the u2412m better than the u2410 according to tftcentrals review

Back