Deck OLED

igl00jx

2[H]4U
Coming November 16

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Img_2023_11_09_11_57_10.jpeg
Screenshot_20231109-115716.png

Brutal. I want one.

Or I'd be happy if I could buy the screen to put in my older Deck. The normal Deck screen is basically dogshit.

Last edited:
Having bought a deck like 2 months ago this hurts especially after Valve said there is zero plans to launch another steamdeck product.

Loosing touch on the OLED kinda sucks but the rest is nice. I think im gonna stick with what i have as im sure in true fashion it will be out of stock for the next 6 months.

I've had mine since September 2022 and my biggest gripes are solved with this model and I'm excited for it. I did just put 32GB of DDR5 and a 2TB 2230 in it though and will do the same to this one, now the new model's bios seems to come with 6400MT/s ddr5 spd by default so only the doubling of the density will be required in the uefi mod.

Having bought a deck like 2 months ago this hurts especially after Valve said there is zero plans to launch another steamdeck product.

Loosing touch on the OLED kinda sucks but the rest is nice. I think im gonna stick with what i have as im sure in true fashion it will be out of stock for the next 6 months.
I am in the same boat! Kinda pissed. and to be honestly I will hold for True next gen SD

Don't feel that bad, some games only work with touch.

Even though I barely use it, the touch screen has been crucial. Losing touch features actually kind of blows. Especially for lesser supported games. The touch screen has allowed me to bypass a myriad of issues that I wouldn't otherwise. For example, some games will create a prompt that for some reason only responds to the touch screen.

I can wait for a full SD2. Though I'd probably tempted if there was trade-in type thing from Valve. :) I am surprised they took out the touch screen though.

I can wait for a full SD2. Though I'd probably tempted if there was trade-in type thing from Valve. :) I am surprised they took out the touch screen though.

They must have a workaround like a mouse mode or something. Otherwise they must seriously think they can improve compatibility outside of that, which would be cool for existing Deck owners.

not a good analogy...the iPhone is an annual refresh...everyone knows that going in
It's been a little under 2 years since the Deck came out. Since then AMD releases a better SoC, storage prices have plummeted, and Nintendo brings out a large format OLED screen that Valve can poach. Add to this a few years of real world experience from millions of users and Valve decides to refresh the system while maintaining 100% backward compatibility with software and accessories. I don't see this as screwing anyone over.

Just like Apple screwing over Iphone 14 users when they brought out the Iphone 15. Bastards.

Even though I got my order through in the first 10 minutes, I don't see any of this as a bad thing. And I've used my Deck more in the past 7-8 months than the rest of the time I had it.

This is just going to get people who were on the fence onboard and make the Deck 2 even more relevant, along with Linux gaming in general. We knew we were early adopters and backed a good thing with money with the hope that maybe it would lead to more.

Also I have a touchscreen, so thpbpbpbpthbpppbb!

spec says oled screen has better touch responsiveness...

Eh, still fine for the other reasons. I seriously don't think anyone should feel cheated with the recent price drops even if they would have preferred the newer models.

Just like Apple screwing over Iphone 14 users when they brought out the Iphone 15. Bastards.

Terrible analogy of the day. Those phones are on a release cycle and come out with some regularity. If for instance someone decides to buy an iPhone 14 right before the 15 releases, then generally they only have themselves to blame (and they're usually getting a sale price on it regardless).

Meanwhile in this case, I and multiple others purchased a Steam Deck during the "sales" (or god forbid the refurb units) for basically the same price (if not more) than what equivalent OLED models are coming out with. Because there's literally no sign of anything better being on the horizon anyway. Instead, I basically feel like I wasted money because I got a worse model a mere few months (basically hardly any usage time) before one that is basically across the board better comes out. It's like if Apple's iPhone was the only one they had at the time, and there were no signs of anything superseding it in the near future, and then I got in on a "sale" price... only for an iPhone 2.0 that was better than it in every way to come out almost immediately after, at the same price or less. And that's the key. If it costs more, then I'm fine with it. But it's the SAME FUCKING PRICE AS THE SALE.

I would be fine with this, if I at least had a year with it before a new model came out, but this is just shit. I did a lot of research and then chose the Steam Deck at the time because all compromises considered (screen quality a big one of them), it was what I wanted in terms of overall package. Then they just decide (with little forewarning) to release a better thing for the same price, that improved almost everything in every way. It also strikes me as disingenuous, because that means those "sales" clearly weren't really "sales" if you can literally already manufacture a better model in every way for the same price as the damn sale. I'm pissed about this. I'll live, but I'm pissed about this and there isn't much bullshit that can change my mind on how I feel about it.

Maybe if they at least gave us recent buyers a trade in option, I wouldn't feel so damn ripped off. Fuck you, Valve.

Last edited:
I dont feel that valve owes me anything like a trade in as then they have to resell the devices for less.

It was the articles swirling around with quotes from valve saying that a successor wasnt going to happen at least for a couple years.

I would normally entertain the idea of just sucking it up and buying an OLED and selling my current deck. But because valve was secretive about this until announcing the OLED and the price drops for other decks the market for selling steamdecks took a big hit. So im basically stuck with it unless i want to take a massive bath on the deal.

I chose the steam deck in a what looks to be largely growing market with many competitors on the scene now because its Valve for one. The quality of the product and support is there. They support right to repair in a way that nobody else would. The amount of work valve has put into arch for linux gaming is legendary and is very much something i want to support. All of the other competitors are just loosly copying the concept from valve and releasing their own but with changes and using the EZ button and doing windows. If the steamdeck never happened then i highly doubt we would see any of the other handhelds that have came out. Valve needs to compete and with whats coming out with Asus, Lenovo and others the steamdeck was the lowest guy on the pole and thats why i think the OLED was released. They kept their pricepoint the same and revised/upgraded alot of things and that puts them in a great position to compete.

Guess I'm in the minority, I'm perfectly happy with my original Steam Deck. I am looking forward to Steam Deck 2 whenever it come out though.

I've had mine for a long time and it still works great. I actually end up using a portable monitor most of the time with it now anyway, so the OLED screen isn't a huge issue for me.

If this had a significantly (25%+) faster APU and hall-effect joysticks, it might make more sense. Also seems like they could have bumped the RAM to 32 GB, modders have done it already.

I'll wait until a Steam Deck 2 (Valve says it's probably 2-3 years away).

Terrible analogy of the day. Those phones are on a release cycle and come out with some regularity. If for instance someone decides to buy an iPhone 14 right before the 15 releases, then generally they only have themselves to blame (and they're usually getting a sale price on it regardless).

Meanwhile in this case, I and multiple others purchased a Steam Deck during the "sales" (or god forbid the refurb units) for basically the same price (if not more) than what equivalent OLED models are coming out with. Because there's literally no sign of anything better being on the horizon anyway. Instead, I basically feel like I wasted money because I got a worse model a mere few months (basically hardly any usage time) before one that is basically across the board better comes out. It's like if Apple's iPhone was the only one they had at the time, and there were no signs of anything superseding it in the near future, and then I got in on a "sale" price... only for an iPhone 2.0 that was better than it in every way to come out almost immediately after, at the same price or less. And that's the key. If it costs more, then I'm fine with it. But it's the SAME FUCKING PRICE AS THE SALE.

I would be fine with this, if I at least had a year with it before a new model came out, but this is just shit. I did a lot of research and then chose the Steam Deck at the time because all compromises considered (screen quality a big one of them), it was what I wanted in terms of overall package. Then they just decide (with little forewarning) to release a better thing for the same price, that improved almost everything in every way. It also strikes me as disingenuous, because that means those "sales" clearly weren't really "sales" if you can literally already manufacture a better model in every way for the same price as the damn sale. I'm pissed about this. I'll live, but I'm pissed about this and there isn't much bullshit that can change my mind on how I feel about it.

Maybe if they at least gave us recent buyers a trade in option, I wouldn't feel so damn ripped off. Fuck you, Valve.

This is some seriously entitled nonsense. Your entire "argument" hinges solely on the fact that you just bought one, completely ignoring that it came out over a year and a half ago. But because you just happened to buy one recently it's this major injustice against you personally. You're irrationally angry that Valve didn't decide to cannibalize their own sales by announcing the OLED version before you bought one. Take a deep breath, go outside, and touch some grass.

While the iPhone analogy is terrible now days, your argument is the exact same kind of entitled argument people have made regarding new versions of hardware for ages.

This is some seriously entitled nonsense. Your entire "argument" hinges solely on the fact that you just bought one, completely ignoring that it came out over a year and a half ago. But because you just happened to buy one recently it's this major injustice against you personally. You're irrationally angry that Valve didn't decide to cannibalize their own sales by announcing the OLED version before you bought one. Take a deep breath, go outside, and touch some grass.

While the iPhone analogy is terrible now days, your argument is the exact same kind of entitled argument people have made regarding new versions of hardware for ages.
I don't think it's on the customer who feels ripped off to consider the businesses point of view. Valve made the decision to sneak the product out fully knowing some customers would be unhappy. Let the man be unhappy, I say.

I didn't ignore shit. The fact is, the company has basically no precedence of creating refreshes. For most companies that are going to do a refresh, even Nvidia, you hear rumblings of it long before it happens, and new product release are generally hinted at long in advance by some metric so you at least know. They basically literally snuck this release out in order to squeeze money out of their current stock, essentially screwing over anyone that buys it near the release date of the fully improved version. Of course the question of whether the individual feels screwed over or not is fully up to the individual, but why are we "entitled" for feeling screwed over? Like yes, it cannibalizes some of their sales (or maybe not even the sales. Just some cash flow, if they simply discount the older model). But instead it erodes consumer trust to do what they did. I know it eroded mine. Even with fucking NINTENDO of all people, you heard about the release of the OLED version several months before it actually came out.

Also, just sitting there, pointing fingers and mindlessly calling someone entitled is a bottom of the barrel garbage argument. I'm not the only that feels like this, there were plenty of people that felt stung by this. It's our personal decision to feel like this, and I personally feel it's reasonable. Clearly you don't. That doesn't mean you can turn around and start throwing stupid crap like "entitled" around and use it as a basis for a counterargument, just because your values don't agree with ours.

Maybe you should go touch grass, because clearly you've been sitting on your company-issued high horse for too long? Is it chafing yet? Actually don't bother, bye.

Last edited:
Wasn't in the market for a steam deck but just checked the prices on used and its dropped a good amount after the oled news came out. $300 for a 512GB is a pretty good deal to get one to tinker around with.

I've had mine since September 2022 and my biggest gripes are solved with this model and I'm excited for it. I did just put 32GB of DDR5 and a 2TB 2230 in it though and will do the same to this one, now the new model's bios seems to come with 6400MT/s ddr5 spd by default so only the doubling of the density will be required in the uefi mod.
I’m hoping to see someone offering the RAM upgrade mod soon.

I’m hoping to see someone offering the RAM upgrade mod soon.
I looked at the tech jesus teardown and they're using dual channel with denser and faster modules and there's not 4 pads for memory anymore so until density doubles again...

I looked at the tech jesus teardown and they're using dual channel with denser and faster modules and there's not 4 pads for memory anymore so until density doubles again...
I don't have the OLED, so I assume if I find someone to do the work I can upgrade my deck...

I'm not an engineer anymore (I mean, they didn't take the degree away), but let me know if I'm picking up what you're saying.

I don't think it's on the customer who feels ripped off to consider the businesses point of view. Valve made the decision to sneak the product out fully knowing some customers would be unhappy. Let the man be unhappy, I say.
I do, however, wonder where the impression came from that there wouldn't be any update to the hardware.

Valve may have been vocal about there not being a generational upgrade for a few years, a switch-style refresh was never ruled out. Last time I checked (end of last year), they even mentioned working on a hardware refresh which was to be released well before any deck 2's.

I dont feel that valve owes me anything like a trade in as then they have to resell the devices for less.

It was the articles swirling around with quotes from valve saying that a successor wasnt going to happen at least for a couple years.

I would normally entertain the idea of just sucking it up and buying an OLED and selling my current deck. But because valve was secretive about this until announcing the OLED and the price drops for other decks the market for selling steamdecks took a big hit. So im basically stuck with it unless i want to take a massive bath on the deal.

I chose the steam deck in a what looks to be largely growing market with many competitors on the scene now because its Valve for one. The quality of the product and support is there. They support right to repair in a way that nobody else would. The amount of work valve has put into arch for linux gaming is legendary and is very much something i want to support. All of the other competitors are just loosly copying the concept from valve and releasing their own but with changes and using the EZ button and doing windows. If the steamdeck never happened then i highly doubt we would see any of the other handhelds that have came out. Valve needs to compete and with whats coming out with Asus, Lenovo and others the steamdeck was the lowest guy on the pole and thats why i think the OLED was released. They kept their pricepoint the same and revised/upgraded alot of things and that puts them in a great position to compete.
I agree here.
Valve has only released a "Super" version, so to speak, and has not left a single user behind with their original hardware.
I say good on Valve for solidifying their original release product by offering a slight bump that in no way hampers an original users purchase experience going forward. A slice so-to-speak from the Nintendo playbook of longevity. If anything Valve has shown that they are standing behind their product and solidifying the "deck" in the long term.
I think that this is an obvious intention by Valve to show that they are in the "Console" market now, and new versions will be introduced at a rate that is not eclipsed by Sony or MS, but similar in time frame.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I do, however, wonder where the impression came from that there wouldn't be any update to the hardware.
Where did you get the impression that other people had that impression? I'm not sure if you're pretending to be dense here, but the issue obviously isn't the fact they did a hardware refresh. It's the fact they misled their customers about it.

Ill stick with my Ally. If it had one of the new socs I wouldn't hesitate to get one. On baldurs gate 3 I had to set fsr to a level that looked like a macro blocked 90s video file on the steam deck.

Where did you get the impression that other people had that impression? I'm not sure if you're pretending to be dense here, but the issue obviously isn't the fact they did a hardware refresh. It's the fact they misled their customers about it.

I went looking to find a recent quote from Valve talking about new hardware. From what I found I can understand why people would assume they meant no hardware period, but they were specifically talking about something akin to a Deck 2 or a new hardware that increases performance. I can’t find anything recent where they’ve flat out said they won’t do any kind of refresh at all.

Ill stick with my Ally. If it had one of the new socs I wouldn't hesitate to get one. On baldurs gate 3 I had to set fsr to a level that looked like a macro blocked 90s video file on the steam deck.

Due to needing to get the game working on the Series S the devs have apparently found ways to make the game run much better on weaker hardware. Hopefully those improvements come to the PC version as well to make the game more viable on portable systems.

Deck OLED comes with SteamOS 3.5 pre-installed, guessing we will see it in the stable channel soon.

Reactions: Axman
like this
I don't have the OLED, so I assume if I find someone to do the work I can upgrade my deck...

I'm not an engineer anymore (I mean, they didn't take the degree away), but let me know if I'm picking up what you're saying.
RAM chips hold a certain number of bytes and over time transistors are made smaller and one can get more bytes per mm^2.

The original few versions of the steam deck motherboard have 4 channel ram and 4 bga solder pads for the modules. These are 4GB modules and are easy to replace with 8GB modules. 8 x 4 is 32GB but the OLED motherboard only has two solder pads so there's no place to put modules 3 and 4.

Therefore to get 32GB ram on the OLED model one must wait for 16GB chips of that size and configuration.

Last edited:
Back