DDR2400+ for 4790K?

thebufenator

[H]ard|Gawd
SO I just upgraded from an FX-8320 to an I7 4790K.

I am currently re-using some Crucial Ballistix 1600 sport that clock to 2133 at 11-13-13-31 timings.

I am kinda in the middle here........faster memory would be nice, but I am not sure if it is worth the squeeze. If I was stuck at 1600, it would be an easier decision.

4790K at 46x100 default vcore
2x8GB Crucial @ 2133
2x R9 290
1440P

I am also not sure if I can clock higher with the current memory. Appears totally stable in games, but I can't even boot at 2200, even with raising voltage. Makes me think something else is limiting it.

Currently +0.2 VSA, VCCD, VCCA and 1.6Vdimm.

Suggestions? Microcenter has EVGA 2400 CL11 16GB kits on sale for $80......
So tempted......I think with my dual R9 290's, games could benefit, but unsure at this point.

Somebody want to validate me buying more toys?

not worth. specially if you are using the RAM at 1.6V to achieve those clocks, it will kill the IMC of the chip way way fast.. so you will end with a useless processor soon.. also those timings aren't anything good. keep it at 1600mhz with cas8 or cas9 and you will be better.. and nope, games will not benefit from the extra RAM speed, being optimist you will gain at most. 1FPS. so imho doesn't worth.

in the other hand be sure to check the CPU vcore under load, as things like default vcore doesn't exist unless you are using manual voltage..

For anything newer than ivy bridge yes, its high.. as the IMC it's meant to run at 1.5V or less. increasing too much the voltage can cause high CPU temperatures due the IMC working very hard.. running 1.6v or more with those chips mean an easy 5C+ increase in temperatures. you can run the speed you want, but be sure that are 1.5v

1.65v is common on overclocked haswell systems and doesnt seem to be a problem with improved cooling just like increased vcore is fine

going to 2400c10 ram may get you a bit more cpu performance in programs that overflow the cpu cache like games but only if there cpu limited and most are gpu bottlnecked with a 4790k
2400c11 would be a small improvement over 2133c11 and probably not worth it
not that replacing ram or cpu with anything is good value over what you have

if you can get your ram to 1866c9 you may find its faster than at 2133 with those lose timings
grab aida64 and use its memory latency tests to see which is faster as that seems to be what games are more sensitive to than bandwidth

Back