Database File Sharing

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
I'm currently in the processes of redesigning our current database. Until that is up and running, I need a band-aid fix for our current implementation.

We have one secretary who does most of the database work on her machine. The other secretaries now wish to modify files while she's working on database files on her machine also.

In they just took turns, but it's time for a change.

Until the new shared database is in place, I would like to keep the database files on the machine they are on now for simplicity and backup reasons.

My first thought was to use windows file sharing to share out the database files. But this would cause problems if multiple users wanted to use the same file simultaneously. A rewrite could potentially erase an updated version.

I was thinking about a free software such as OpenDocMan next. But the procedure to checkout a file is involved, especially for one secretary who is in no position to learn new processes right now.

I can keep the file on a server if need be also. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? What are some other possible options I should be looking into (free/inexpensive preferably since this will be temporary)?

Thanks in advance.

Lets start with the simple question first... what type of DB is it? Most allow simultaneous connections, so sharing it off the current PC will probably work.

In addition to the type of DB it is, exactly *how* does a secretary open the DB?

It's a very outdated DOS based database which is why it is being replaced. Any open file management would have to take place in the filesystem. The DOS application opens the database file. It's archaic.

It's a very outdated DOS based database which is why it is being replaced. Any open file management would have to take place in the filesystem. The DOS application opens the database file. It's archaic.
This doesn't answer either of the questions posted thus far. Additionally, nothing's been stated that supports your belief of using OpenDocMan as a viable solution.

So, some questions need to be answered...
- What DB is this? (Name, Vendor, file extension, etc.)
- What application opens the DB?
- Is the DB vendor the same as the application vendor?
- Is the vendor still in business?
- Has concurrent usage always been a problem before, or is concurrency something that interferes with your database migration plans?
- Is this really a DOS application, or perhaps a greenscreen application run through a terminal (such as AS/400 or Unix connector?)
- (Related to the previous question) What OS really hosts the application? And the DB?

The more concrete details you can share, the better we can actually give potential solutions.

Since this is an old DOS database, you are likely going to run into a lot of problems sharing the db files out. You really have to know how the program was designed to get old DOS systems working like you want. Sometimes its as simple as putting the db files on a share and having both computers open them up. However i would just hasten the replacements development

Back