Darn eBay sellers!!

EverCraft

Limp Gawd
I recently bought a router and a switch off of ebay. The frist auction was for a D-Link Dl-704 4 port router. It's just a little thing but it does 10/100 and I had one before and it worked great so I thought I'd get another one. The second auction was for a D-Link DSS-8+ 8 port switch.

I won both items for 9.50, which i thought was a pretty good deal. The shipping for the Dl-704 was 12.75, and 10.50 for the DSS-8+. First off, the Dl-704 is like 3/4 the size and it costs 2.25 more to ship? wtf, and second, when I got the invoice from him, he upped the shipping for 12.75 t o13.50. I was like, hell no and sent him a MO for price listed on the eBay auction page.

Well both items got here and instantly I was pissed to all hell. Both items came in the same small ass box and the total shipping was 7.15!!!. So I open up the box and the things are just wrapped up in newspaper. Now, most people would say so what? I ship in newspaper. So do I. But not like this. There was newspaper padding, they were just wrapped, and placed in the box.

Well I got the Dl-704, but he sent me this Dl-604 4 port router instead of the DSS-8+, so once again, pissed. To top it all off, I hook up the Dl-704 and the first damn port doesn't even work!!! I had made a bunch of cables and tried them on all the other ports and they worked fine but the first one just would make a connection.

So I emailed the guy he said basically, um lets settle this outside of eBay, what ever you want to do is fine. So I sent both of them back to him in the same box, and oh look, it only costed me 7.15!!

That was 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything since, so I just waiting till this is all over with to totally bitch him out for screwing me on shipping and I'm not sure if I want to leave neutral or negative feedback yet. Because I can't do it yet or he'll turn into a total ass and you know it.

OK, as I am an active eBay seller try to settle the situation before having any attitude and anger. Sometimes you get bad sellers so you should always generally make sure they have good feedbacks - I usually at least buy from 500 feedbacks. If one has a large amount of negatives, e.g. 20 negs for 500 positives I usually just stay away from them. You may end up paying a half buck or buck more, but its worth it to avoid a hassle.

Now, the handling charge he wanted to charge you is ridicoulis. Any good seller will combine shipping. Just keep in mind: Almost every eBay seller will never charge you $7.15, including myself. I would probably end up charging you $9.25 or $10.00 - a $2.00/3.00 handling fee - to partitally cover the eBay insertions fees, final value fees, Paypal payment fees, the packaging supplys, the gas to goto the post office, and my time.

I agree,

As a rule of thumb, always factor the shipping and handling costs into your final bid amount. This is probably why sometimes the same item can close with a 10% variance in price.

Sometimes seeing a ludicrous S&H price can be frustrating, but if it is too high, just look for a different seller.

I too sell on ebay and often try to tack on my projected ebay fees and paypal fees into the shipping and handling. I expect the bidding to be lower when i do this, but it helps me easily identify profit vs loss without having to concentrate on various fees and things.

in the end, i completely understand frustration with this, but expect that people will start to factor this into their buying decisions over time.

the rest of the stuff (bad packing, wrong product) that is just unacceptable....

my $0.02

if there is someone bidding on my processor , and they have horrible feedback,

is there a way to boot them off my auction?

b/c i got burned last week when the guy didnt pay , and just became an unregistered user, so i got slammed with the $30 fee
the proc is a 3.2ghz Xeon 2mb cache ;),

first off you can get a final auction refund, and if you go into the search thing and search for bid removal(sp?) and find the link for seller bid removal that should work for ya.

that does help a bit, now i can understand that the s/h charge was a little high, but still. that 7.15 was for both items in the same box, and he charged 10 for each, that's a bit much

EverCraft said:
that does help a bit, now i can understand that the s/h charge was a little high, but still. that 7.15 was for both items in the same box, and he charged 10 for each, that's a bit much

ebay sellers are known for ripping people off when it comes to shipping... But that's how a lot of them make a profit... for example, I bought a DVI cable from someone for $.50, and then they charge 6.99 s/h. Obviously it doesn't cost them that much... but I wish they would just put the correct shipping price and start the auction off a little higher.

Stumpy,

One reason why they do this is fee avoidance - cheaper ebay insertion and final value fees.

Just figure this: If someone has shipping at an outrageous $20.00 higher than everybody else, figure you'll bid on his item $20.00 lower than everybody elses. :) One word of advice, if the seller doesnt have the shipping cost listed, email before you bid. It's known many sellers will rip you off this way.

Actually sometimes sellers put a high shipping price instead of a high asking price because you dont pay percentage of shipping fees to ebay. (Ive even done that with a $.99 item with $20 shipping when I needed the money.) as for getting what you didnt ask for and broken equipment on top of that I would file a complaint with ebay. I wouldnt have paid a thing for shipping it back your gonna eat that.

RandysWay said:
OK, as I am an active eBay seller try to settle the situation before having any attitude and anger. Sometimes you get bad sellers so you should always generally make sure they have good feedbacks - I usually at least buy from 500 feedbacks. If one has a large amount of negatives, e.g. 20 negs for 500 positives I usually just stay away from them. You may end up paying a half buck or buck more, but its worth it to avoid a hassle. Now i wouldnt of paid shit to send it back.

Now, the handling charge he wanted to charge you is ridicoulis. Any good seller will combine shipping. Just keep in mind: Almost every eBay seller will never charge you $7.15, including myself. I would probably end up charging you $9.25 or $10.00 - a $2.00/3.00 handling fee - to partitally cover the eBay insertions fees, final value fees, Paypal payment fees, the packaging supplys, the gas to goto the post office, and my time.

yea. i mean, if i emailed the guy and asked him to send me money to ship this stuff back, i'm pretty sure he'd be like, you no, hell no or something like that. still waiting to here from him. i sent the stuff back on monday, so he should have got it by now.

a little resulution for you

well i just got an email from him:

"Not yet...but, what do you want when I get it?"

i said:

"well first off, i want the correct 8 port d-link switch i was supposed to get, and my money back for the other if indeed it is broken which i believe it to be."

he said:

"I don't have an 8 port on hand and it'll be a while til I get one. Give me your address and I'll send you a check for the full refund."

i said:

"insert my address here"

man, that was overall a waste of time, i better get back my shipping money too or i'm gunna be hella pissed

did you ask if he was gonna refund your cost of shipping for his error? Hell i just got a shipment in 2 days ago were i ordered 5 of one kind of video card and he sent 3 of that card and 5 of another cheaper card thinking that the extra cards would make up the difference. good thing i used paypal ;)
EverCraft said:
a little resulution for you

well i just got an email from him:

"Not yet...but, what do you want when I get it?"

i said:

"well first off, i want the correct 8 port d-link switch i was supposed to get, and my money back for the other if indeed it is broken which i believe it to be."

he said:

"I don't have an 8 port on hand and it'll be a while til I get one. Give me your address and I'll send you a check for the full refund."

i said:

"insert my address here"

man, that was overall a waste of time, i better get back my shipping money too or i'm gunna be hella pissed

he said 'full refund', but if i get a check in the mail or 19, it's gunna hit the fan.

yeah happened to me paid $7 shipping and it only cost 2 to ship it. i gave the guy neg feedback right away

ive been selling on Ebay since 01 and people need to learn to read the terms and conditions of the sellers auction, If the buyers would take the time and do that it woul;d keep alot of problems from happening. Yes that shipping cost was outragous i would never over charge s&h like that. I myself have a set shipping price and then a reduced price for every other thing they buy, Yes its body jewely and piercing supplies but my S&H cost to the buyer rarely reach over 5 bux.

Look at there feedback thats the first thing, if they have bad feedback by a number of people over the same thing like adding fees after the auction ended, then steer clear

ive been selling on Ebay since 01 and people need to learn to read the terms and conditions of the sellers auction, If the buyers would take the time and do that it woul;d keep alot of problems from happening. Yes that shipping cost was outragous i would never over charge s&h like that. I myself have a set shipping price and then a reduced price for every other thing they buy, Yes its body jewely and piercing supplies but my S&H cost to the buyer rarely reach over 5 bux.

sometimes the terms and condition are so obscure and small you can still get fucked ehhe

true, some sellers on there for one reason or another seem to think its ok to word things a certain way to make there stuff or terms something there not. To bad that they ruin it for the rest of us honest sellers

egay sucks.

I sold a hello kitty sticky cam(my fiance's of course) for a measly 13.00 and charged 2.99 shipping to some whore(which is a fair first class shipping price). My terms and condition said that buyers that are not happy with my product must contact me within 7 days to get a full refund, but return shipment expense would not be reimbursed. This bitch emails me after 9 days, says there's a little black dot or something in the camera's viewfinder, and wants her money back. Hey, I take pride in customer satisfaction. So despite my 7 day(which is more than enough time to tell me if one doesn't like the product) return policy, I gave her a full refund that she agrees to. After getting the camera back(which works fine, and has a small dot in the viewfinder that has no effect on the ability to focus at all) I give her a full refund. She then emails me back whining that she lost 3.00 on the return shipment due to the transaction. I reply with a "fuck off bitch" you got your money, and I lost due to ebay fees and shipping expense as well. She leaves me with a neg. feedback. What a slut!!!!.

Just thought this might be a funny read to some of you guys. lol

well replying back "fuck off bitch" is pretty immature since you say you pride yourself on customer satisfaction, i would never say that to anyone regaurdless of what happened

I just don't buy anything on eBay anymore .. except weird or REALLY hard to find stuff. I never buy from anyone who has less than 50 positive feedback. eBay has made it their policy to not give a shit about any buyers, why should they, the sellers are the ones who give them money... yes yes .. in theory if there were no buyers, blah blah blah .. but there are plenty of people who still buy stuff from that site .. even after I'd guess hundreds(?) have been burned.

vbrtrmn said:
I just don't buy anything on eBay anymore .. except weird or REALLY hard to find stuff. I never buy from anyone who has less than 50 positive feedback. eBay has made it their policy to not give a shit about any buyers, why should they, the sellers are the ones who give them money... yes yes .. in theory if there were no buyers, blah blah blah .. but there are plenty of people who still buy stuff from that site .. even after I'd guess hundreds(?) have been burned.

im sure its in the thousands, its a huge place, its no diffrent really then dealing with people on the boards, just got to be careful

Cold Dark Shadow said:
well replying back "fuck off bitch" is pretty immature since you say you pride yourself on customer satisfaction, i would never say that to anyone regaurdless of what happened

Man, I just can't stand whiners, thats all. I bought an older abit sa-6 mobo for 16.00 from a seller here a few weeks ago, and I left good feedback right away for fast shipping and the mobo looking like it was in great shape. Now, I haven't even had the chance to test it yet, but I'm not gonna cry over 16.00 fucking dollars. I'm not rich, and I work hard everyday to provide for my fiance and 2 yr old daughter so 16.00 can go towards daipers and milk, but I'm not gonna cry over it. I feel that I bought a used product that's cheap and should work, but there's a chance that it may not work and I'm willing to accept the risk such a great price. Some people are just so anal over a couple of bucks, and I think that is very immature. BTW, "fuck off bitch" isn't what I actually said. I keep things professional when dealing in a trade, but it was something similar to that.

Back