Crucial P5 Plus 2TB not working in Oriko Enclosures

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I have a pair of Oriko NVME enclosures and neither one will work with this Crucial P5 Plus 2TB NVME drive.
The drive shows 100% usage in Task Manager when it is plugged in.

I initially thought the new 20Gbps enclosure I just received was flaky but when I put the drive into my older Oriko 10Gbps enclosure it did the same thing.
Tried 2 different cables as well.
I have a 10Gbps Sabrent enclosure and I put that in there and the Crucial seems to be working fine in there.
The 1TB Team Group that I had in the older Oriko enclosure works fine in the new 20Gbps enclosure, so I am guessing the Oriko's just don't like the 2TB Crucial P5 Plus.

Anyone else here run into a similiar issue with certain enclosures and drives?

IMG_5118.JPEG

IMG_5119.JPEG

I haven't used any of these enclosures in a while, but I had seen some people have issues in the past with certain combinations of enclosure + ssd make, for both SATA and m.2 drives. It most often seems to be some issue between the ssd + enclosure controllers, and given that Crucial's chip is made in-house and not shared with other mfgs, it could be why you're only having a problem with their drives + those adapters. Looking at reviews for the models you have, it seems some people also have issues with drive compatibility if they aren't running the latest firmware, so you could give that a try.

I used to buy ********** (spelling) 2.5" HDD/SSD enclosures. But then I have a number of "bad drives." Turns out that the drives were fine, but it was the ********** enclosures that failed after only a few years. And don't bother emailing ********** support. I also had bad luck, or no reponse, from them.

So now I use Fideco and Anker as my preferred drive accessory brands.

I installed the card and this is what CrystalDiskMark reports,
CrystalDiskMark_20230805001231 - ********** 20Gbps card and external TG 1TB NVME.png

Copying video files from the Oriko through the add-in card to my Sabrent 10Gbps connected to the motherboards USBC port gets around 700MB/s writes, looks like less than 20 minutes to copy 1TB.
Going to see what speeds I get when I copy from my onboard NVME to the Oriko shortly.

Copying from my Samsung 980 Pro 2TB nets a little over a Gigabyte/sec.
1691211151278.png

From my 1TB 980 Pro
1691211315446.png

Copying from the Oriko to the Samsung 980 Pro 1TB is 1.7GB/s
1691211672335.png

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB to Samsung 980 Pro 1TB is 3GB/s
1691211248624.png

Last edited:
Back