crossfire and windows 7, at the end of my rope!

I took the plunge and bought a Win 7 disk from school. Installed it Friday, had everything installed by Saturday morning, started a game and I noticed artifacts but crossfire did work. I had originally installed cats 10.2. I uninstalled 10.2, downloaded 10.3a and the artifacts went away but crossfire did not work. uninstalled 10.3a, installed 10.2 and the artifacts returned but crossfire did not work. uninstalled 10.2, installed 10.3a and I have been pulling my hair since saturday trying to get crossfire to work. I have also installed the crossfire profiles for 10.3.

I do not ask for help unless I have tried and googled everything. I am so desprate that I may just reformat.

I run 2 4850's

Crossfire not working usually won't produce artifacts, that seems more symptomatic of one of the cards overheating. Maybe it's the secondary card that is overheating which would be why you wouldn't see any artifacts with crossfire disabled.

Also try using a program like MSI Afterburner. You can see a record of both temperatures and GPU utilization for both GPUs as well as setup custom fan profiles.

Crossfire not working usually won't produce artifacts, that seems more symptomatic of one of the cards overheating. Maybe it's the secondary card that is overheating which would be why you wouldn't see any artifacts with crossfire disabled.

Also try using a program like MSI Afterburner. You can see a record of both temperatures and GPU utilization for both GPUs as well as setup custom fan profiles.

I use 2 instances of gpu-z to monitor gpu load, temps, fan speed. I manually set both vidcard fan speeds to MAX. right now they are hovering at 37C. Odd thing, gpu-z indicates that crossfire is enabled but every game I run only uses the primary card. When I disable crossfire via CCC, gpu-z indicates that crossfire is disabled.

You don't have Catalyst AI disabled, do you? That will stop crossfire from working.

You don't have Catalyst AI disabled, do you? That will stop crossfire from working.

hhhmmm.,...........I do. :eek:

EDIT: OK, enabled AI, crossfire works now. it is so silly. why don't they give you a warning that crossfire will stop working if you disable that?!

EDIT2: Thanks for your help.

Back