Crashplan alternative for business that wants to store locally?

I know there are a few other posts about Crashplan's changes in the home market, but this is not exactly related.

150 computers, (144 licenses in use). The thing we liked about it was that stored the data locally. It updated every 15 minutes, so odds were pretty good that if something was lost, there wouldn't be that big an impact. That, and the simplicity involved with configuration, where we set the server up to back up user documents, desktop, and favorites (and Chrome bookmarks). No configuration was needed.

But, the licensing costs are nearly doubling. We'll get another year for $5000, but next year it's $9000. For $4000, we're going to at least take a look at alternatives.

All the things I knew off off the top of my head (Backblaze, SpiderOak) are cloud based, or are more synchronization related (Dropbox, Onedrive, etc).

We're not interested in a cloud backup. We want to keep the backups in house, which Crashplan let us do.

We don't need something to take full backups of the systems, we just want to make sure a few folders are routinely updated, and we can go back in time a bit to pull back an accidentally deleted file. Many of the machines in question are salespeople's laptops, so the backup won't be on the same network, but it will backup over the VPN (which is currently how it's being done).

Any good suggestions?

In case it matters, we use Veeam Backup & Replication for our virtual server farm, Veeam's Endpoint Backup on client servers (Veeam's Windows Agent replaces that, but we only have a couple physical 2016 boxes that would require VWA(and a license to access the repository), but they're all hosting Hyper-V machines that aren't backed up as they're just mirror distribution servers that replicate data that's being backed up with VB&R on our VMware virtual servers). Since we're looking for frequent backups of a very narrow scope, I don't think that Veeam is the right choice.

We used to use Acronis, and still do to just have images of employee computers before they're wiped and reimaged. We've cut down the Acronis use to just a handful of machines, with most that were backing up with Acronis now using VEB. Again, though, these were full system images, which we're not interested in.

Last edited:
Back