Counter Strike Global Offensive: BETA

I've been playing CS 1.6 competitively for several years and I don't really know what to expect from this game. I mean based on the videos, I'm hoping they're aiming more toward gameplay because the models already look like they were pieced together last minute for video promos. Waiting on potential open beta testing... unless someone's got that spare key for me ;)

What do you think about the match making system? I used to play in CAL,CEVO, and ECO for CSS, to be honest, I'm kind of excited about the ranked match making, though it looks like it would be like an ESEA pug type environment. Not a big fan on pugs unless I'm just messing around or just having more laid back 5v5 fun, but the ranking system may keep incentive to do good even in a pug environment.

I've been playing CS 1.6 competitively for several years and I don't really know what to expect from this game. I mean based on the videos, I'm hoping they're aiming more toward gameplay because the models already look like they were pieced together last minute for video promos. Waiting on potential open beta testing... unless someone's got that spare key for me ;)

Thats pre beta video. I hope you dont think those are whats going to be int he shipped game.

i wonder if leagues will be open to other maps for competitive play now that they're a balanced a bit more..

What do you think about the match making system? I used to play in CAL,CEVO, and ECO for CSS, to be honest, I'm kind of excited about the ranked match making, though it looks like it would be like an ESEA pug type environment. Not a big fan on pugs unless I'm just messing around or just having more laid back 5v5 fun, but the ranking system may keep incentive to do good even in a pug environment.

I'm hoping this is Steam's answer to ESEA's pug system. less need for a client, ESEA will most likely be delayed in developing a (keyword) stable support for the game.

Thats pre beta video. I hope you dont think those are whats going to be int he shipped game.

really? what about CSS? crappy promo models. same thing in the retail version. they've been around 7 years now and the game still sucks. I prefer CS Pro Mod and all the input they're taking into development. CS:GO? more like CS:COD. entirely different game, though I'm interested to see how the new modes progress.

I'm hoping this is Steam's answer to ESEA's pug system. less need for a client, ESEA will most likely be delayed in developing a (keyword) stable support for the game.

really? what about CSS? crappy promo models. same thing in the retail version. they've been around 7 years now and the game still sucks. I prefer CS Pro Mod and all the input they're taking into development. CS:GO? more like CS:COD. entirely different game, though I'm interested to see how the new modes progress.

Some of the models in the previews are models from other games. Its obvious. The trailer seems to show correct models. If the game sucks why do you play it? I guess the fact they are bringing pros into test the game to get it right isnt good enough? Pro Mod is dead.

Some of the models in the previews are models from other games. Its obvious. The trailer seems to show correct models. If the game sucks why do you play it? I guess the fact they are bringing pros into test the game to get it right isnt good enough? Pro Mod is dead.

that's why CSP 1.07 just came out :x I don't play CSS anymore. I only have it because I bought it with a bundle that had HL2 and some others with it for cheap. I gave it a chance but I've always preferred 1.6 over CSS. why else would there be 50,000 people playing it at any given time? the CSS community, if you can even call it that, is barely a third of the 1.6 community.

if CSP had the support and money that they put behind CS:GO, they wouldn't be in beta anymore. unfortunately, it doesn't and will die out eventually. but the community is still somewhat hopeful and people are still playing around with 1.07.

CS:GO looks disappointing from the promo videos and a lot of the pros put their input in but the developers don't seem to be taking any of it in. (ie, in regards to recoil, weapon control, though I believe the money system is staying the same)

Ksharp is right in saying if CS:GO isn't executed properly, there goes the future of CS. I'm still in favor of making a CS 1.7 to revamp the gameplay and add stuff like ragdoll physics and redoing all the stock maps but I'll be dead and gone by the time that'll ever happen.

that's why CSP 1.07 just came out :x I don't play CSS anymore. I only have it because I bought it with a bundle that had HL2 and some others with it for cheap. I gave it a chance but I've always preferred 1.6 over CSS. why else would there be 50,000 people playing it at any given time? the CSS community, if you can even call it that, is barely a third of the 1.6 community.

if CSP had the support and money that they put behind CS:GO, they wouldn't be in beta anymore. unfortunately, it doesn't and will die out eventually. but the community is still somewhat hopeful and people are still playing around with 1.07.

CS:GO looks disappointing from the promo videos and a lot of the pros put their input in but the developers don't seem to be taking any of it in. (ie, in regards to recoil, weapon control, though I believe the money system is staying the same)

Ksharp is right in saying if CS:GO isn't executed properly, there goes the future of CS. I'm still in favor of making a CS 1.7 to revamp the gameplay and add stuff like ragdoll physics and redoing all the stock maps but I'll be dead and gone by the time that'll ever happen.

1.07 came out because it was already mostly developed before people quit. Hope you know CSS and CS1.6 are pretty much dead even on how many people play the game(at any give time).

BACK ON TOPIC.

Honestly, I dislike ESEA, I hate having to pay to play in servers that have some of THE WORST registry ever in a pug situation when I could do that for free just without the stats and with better servers. Hell I made a dedicated server on my old gateway P-6831fx then loaded lo3, zblock and pregame onto it then scrimmed on it while playing on that same laptop. I got good comments on how perfect the registry was (note it was on a 30Mb up/down fiber connection), the only issue it has was when there was smoke my FPS would drop and lag the server. ESEA is garbage IMO, glad to see Valve bringing in this match making thing.

And in regards to the recoil and that stuff you mentioned the pro's were talking about, I think they will take that into consideration, who wouldn't, the pro's are some of the big players in what shapes the competitive side of the game. If you have a source that shows Valve isn't taking what they say into consideration, then I'll be glad to read and shut up, but until then I seriously think Valve will take what they say into consideration and are currently working on fixes until they get those variables just right. They have a lot of patchwork ahead of them, so in my opinion it will happen in due time. The only other problem I see is the lack of leagues. ESEA and CEVO both cost money, ECO is down and never really was all that big. CAL needs to come back with admins that give a shit and an ACS that is quality like ESEA's.

Honestly, I dislike ESEA, I hate having to pay to play in servers that have some of THE WORST registry ever in a pug situation when I could do that for free just without the stats and with better servers. Hell I made a dedicated server on my old gateway P-6831fx then loaded lo3, zblock and pregame onto it then scrimmed on it while playing on that same laptop. I got good comments on how perfect the registry was (note it was on a 30Mb up/down fiber connection), the only issue it has was when there was smoke my FPS would drop and lag the server. ESEA is garbage IMO, glad to see Valve bringing in this match making thing.

And in regards to the recoil and that stuff you mentioned the pro's were talking about, I think they will take that into consideration, who wouldn't, the pro's are some of the big players in what shapes the competitive side of the game. If you have a source that shows Valve isn't taking what they say into consideration, then I'll be glad to read and shut up, but until then I seriously think Valve will take what they say into consideration and are currently working on fixes until they get those variables just right. They have a lot of patchwork ahead of them, so in my opinion it will happen in due time. The only other problem I see is the lack of leagues. ESEA and CEVO both cost money, ECO is down and never really was all that big. CAL needs to come back with admins that give a shit and an ACS that is quality like ESEA's.

New servers are always perfect registration. Source servers have Registration decay which is likely what the issue with ESEAs servers are.

New servers are always perfect registration. Source servers have Registration decay which is likely what the issue with ESEAs servers are.

That only occurs when the server is left running to long and isn't restarted regularly. When I used to have a "manager" for my old team and we had him switch server providers a couple times because the registry sucked even after the restart. All of us pinged 60 and under. Everyone on the server I hosted was 60 over and under. I don't think the big issue is the decay issue, but rather the fact that the server providers in which ESEA gets their servers from (pretty sure its eoreality) over host their server boxes. I can guarantee ESEA didn't rent dedicated boxes with dedicated lines for each game server. That is the issue, it's with the server providers over hosting the box. Not even clearing out all of the log files on the server helps. Maybe I'm completely wrong though, but from my experience, that is what I've seen the problem widdle down to.

That only occurs when the server is left running to long and isn't restarted regularly. When I used to have a "manager" for my old team and we had him switch server providers a couple times because the registry sucked even after the restart. All of us pinged 60 and under. Everyone on the server I hosted was 60 over and under. I don't think the big issue is the decay issue, but rather the fact that the server providers in which ESEA gets their servers from (pretty sure its eoreality) over host their server boxes. I can guarantee ESEA didn't rent dedicated boxes with dedicated lines for each game server. That is the issue, it's with the server providers over hosting the box. Not even clearing out all of the log files on the server helps. Maybe I'm completely wrong though, but from my experience, that is what I've seen the problem widdle down to.

ESEA gets their servers from quite a few server providers. They do have Managed dedicated servers. However the Registration decay is the issue. Even if you restart the servers doesnt make it go away. When i rented servers and dedicated servers it was present on all of them from all providers. The best way i found to eliminate it was to restart the server every other day along with log and junk file deletion. Once the registry dropped i would delete the whole server and reinstall everything and it would be back like it was new.

I know ESEA gets their Chicago dedicated servers from Colocrossing/VSNX which is the best GSP ive found. Its possible ESEA is overloading their boxes. I can tell you they dont maintain the servers worth a crap though which im sure you know.

ESEA gets their servers from quite a few server providers. They do have Managed dedicated servers. However the Registration decay is the issue. Even if you restart the servers doesnt make it go away. When i rented servers and dedicated servers it was present on all of them from all providers. The best way i found to eliminate it was to restart the server every other day along with log and junk file deletion. Once the registry dropped i would delete the whole server and reinstall everything and it would be back like it was new.

I know ESEA gets their Chicago dedicated servers from Colocrossing/VSNX which is the best GSP ive found. Its possible ESEA is overloading their boxes. I can tell you they dont maintain the servers worth a crap though which im sure you know.

Yeah I know they don't maintain them at all, once while I had ESEA (for the one month) I joined a server and it was jittery, everyone had the problem. Well hmm thats interesting that decay factor actually is real even if the game server is the only one on the box, i basically got all my information from finding out that every provider I had experiences with (eoreality,darkstar, and NFO being the popular ones) they all had at least 5 game servers on a box. Well no matter the fact, after reinstalling the server a few times, it won't take THAT long to do so since there really isn't a whole lot to do, and if you remember it all it goes by really fast. If I ever have internet fast enough to host my own (which I'm sure I will someday), then I will do so and reinstall here and there to keep registry up even with CS:GO and any more that come out after it just to ensure the server stays running at optimum performance.

Yeah I know they don't maintain them at all, once while I had ESEA (for the one month) I joined a server and it was jittery, everyone had the problem. Well hmm thats interesting that decay factor actually is real even if the game server is the only one on the box, i basically got all my information from finding out that every provider I had experiences with (eoreality,darkstar, and NFO being the popular ones) they all had at least 5 game servers on a box. Well no matter the fact, after reinstalling the server a few times, it won't take THAT long to do so since there really isn't a whole lot to do, and if you remember it all it goes by really fast. If I ever have internet fast enough to host my own (which I'm sure I will someday), then I will do so and reinstall here and there to keep registry up.

i had mine setup with a backup. So all i had to do was delete the server, re create it then load then FTP the backup and restart it.

i had mine setup with a backup. So all i had to do was delete the server, re create it then load then FTP the backup and restart it.

Sounds efficient :). Think I'll host a server off my internet just for fun when I move into my apartment. Still waiting for CS:GO though.

What does the beta key currently do? All Ive got currently is a link to a non existent forum and a coming soon label next to counter strike global. I know it does not start til later but I was just wondering.

What does the beta key currently do? All Ive got currently is a link to a non existent forum and a coming soon label next to counter strike global. I know it does not start til later but I was just wondering.

gives you beta access and first dibs.

Hmmm, no other way to get a key other than ebay then? Bummer.
I'd have liked to give it a try, never been part of a beta before.

Hmmm, no other way to get a key other than ebay then? Bummer.
I'd have liked to give it a try, never been part of a beta before.

Only beta I was apart of was League of Legends, but that was an open beta I think. I would like a key as well, but I'm not willing to spend money for a beta. I'de rather just wait for the actual game to come out.

This might get me back into CS. I miss the golden days before the CGS pretty much destroyed the NA Counter-Strike scene. Have fun in the Beta.

Why in the fuck would they lump all dedicated servers into the "Casual" category? Some of the most competitive servers will most likely be 3rd party dedicated ones..

any clue on who will valve let in that does not have a beta key?

The beta will start out closed. Only key holders will have access.It will be sometime down the road that it will be opened to the public. Im sure it will still be restricted i doubt it will be everybody.

Anyone else more excited about this game than BF3/COD MW3? The game seems to be getting a little bit of flac but I'm liking how Valve is handling the game so far (striving to make 1.6 and source players happy, dedicated 5v5 match making, and updated graphics a long with new game play mechanics).

if it is like cs 1.6 or cs:cz than i will enjoy it. if not screw it :)

I am. I cannot wait, I will easily pour 300+ hours into it, if I enjoy it.

If it's even marginally better than CS:S, I'll have no problem putting that many hours into it. Steam says I have 434 hours in CS:S.

I really prefer the close quarters combat style of CS to the open area combat style of BF. COD tries to do close quarters, but they add so many unneeded details into the maps that you're literally tripping over them (and getting stuck on them). I don't really care how good the map looks if I can't move two feet without getting stuck on a fucking milk crate or some stupid thing.

Used to play counter-strike beta 6.1 all the way through source. Used to do cal-main with fatal effect east coast season 9?. Oh the memories. If a key is available yeah I'd like one. So would everyone else here though ;D

Back