Corrupt downloads Windows 7

drescherjm

[H]F Junkie
I got a new HP 150f machine at work last week. It is a i7 860 system with 8GB of ram. I have run stability testing including IBT on maximum stress for hours and the system does not have any sign of problems however when I download a large binary file in IE, FF, chrome and some other applications it is always corrupt. I can however download inside a linux box as a guest under virtual box running on the same machine without any problems. This is really weird. I have never seen anything like this in the 30 years I have been working with and building computers..

Any ideas. I guess my first try is to disable the company supplied endpoint protection. Then possibly switch NICs since I am using an external USB nic (Dlink DUB-E100) for the internet connection with the mobo NIC connected to a separate GBit network.

I've seen corrupt downloads caused by both Anti-virus & viruses. It is definitely a software issue since your VM can download. Try using FTP from the command line.

It appears this problem is caused by the Dlink DUB-E100. I tried downloaded a file (VirtualPC for windows7) twice with the dlink and twice with the atheros wireless card that is in the system and with the wireless network it downloads without corruption. With the DUB-E100 it was corrupted both times. I guess since I have more of those I can test another dlink before I order a pci-e nic. The darn motherboard (msi 7613) does not have pci slots..

Try disabling hardware checksumming and TCP offloading (and whatever else is on), that fixes a lot of issues.

Try disabling hardware checksumming and TCP offloading (and whatever else is on), that fixes a lot of issues

Will do. I just tried a second DUB-E100 and same result.

It does not have any TCP offloading. I disabled the only hw settings it had (flow control) and then disabled all unnecessary protocols / options in the sw setup for the card. This again did not help. I think I am out of options on this nic. It's weird because I am browsing and typing using that card. No problems with that unless I need a 3MB or greater binary download.

The DUB-E100 does not cause this problem on the home laptop that is running win7 rc2. I am going to have the administrative secretary order an intel pci-e nic.

I probably have the version wrong. I mean the win7 rc/beta that was out in last summer that still works now. The first rc/beta expired sometime in summer.

Last edited:
I tried the same USB NIC on a new W3565 xeon system with the same corruption. In both cases installing an intel pci-e 1 nic fixed the issue.

Back