Comcast - left and right hands not attached to same brain

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
We have a Comcast bundle which includes home security. Two sensors, CO2 and motion, started to throw various errors. These were installed in 2013, so I called support, expected that as in the past they would send me replacements for DIY install. Typical Comcast. No CO2 sensors in inventory. Availability "2024," no month info.

For the motion sensor the first home security agent sent me to "customer care" or some such. Nice agent. It wasn't clear, however, if she would actually send me a replacement motion sensor, and then said she needed to talk again with home security support. On my next call with security support, he said that
1. There is a one year warranty on these sensors. I would need to purchase a replacement. When I said that in the past, I was sent replacements for other motion sensors that failed, he repeated that I needed to purchase another one.
2. No DIY allowed. I would need a technician visit. He admitted that a truck roll adds a lot of expense, but said that that's the way it is.

Then I got a UPS email about an impending shipment from Comcast. And what do you know. A motion sensor, (y) in a DIY kit complete with a scraper (for old adhesive) and a nifty Stanley screwdriver with flat blade and Phillips head ends.

Last edited:
The level of dumbassery that is passing for 'support' these days is worse than what you find in the third world. Congrats on wading through that crap and coming out victorious. I would have been far too angry to continue and would have told them to take their crap out.

The level of dumbassery that is passing for 'support' these days is worse than what you find in the third world. Congrats on wading through that crap and coming out victorious. I would have been far too angry to continue and would have told them to take their crap out.
Believe me, I've thought about it. Here is why I really feel locked in.

We have been using our comcast email addresses for probably 20 years now. A crapton of websites have that info, probably including a bunch I have forgotten about.
We have a bundle.
Have no idea about pricng
Probably easy to replace VoIP.
Probably "easy" to replace Internet access, but hard to deal with the email issue. Only really viable alternative is AT&T. :woot:
Cable TV. AT&T is probably worse. Other alternatives, not much
Home security. Some third party company, would have to redo everything.
Cable modem. Hope that the new ISP support that modem since I own it instead of renting from Comcast.
Xfinity set top boxes. Have no idea.
Roku stick. No issues there.
Home IP addresses. No need to change, since we also have an ASUS WiFi router.

Experienced the same double speak as an employee: we see your pay is not commensurate with the local cost of living compared to other shops, then doing nothing when asking about raises.

Believe me, I've thought about it. Here is why I really feel locked in.

We have been using our comcast email addresses for probably 20 years now. A crapton of websites have that info, probably including a bunch I have forgotten about.
We have a bundle.
Have no idea about pricng
Probably easy to replace VoIP.
Probably "easy" to replace Internet access, but hard to deal with the email issue. Only really viable alternative is AT&T. :woot:
Cable TV. AT&T is probably worse. Other alternatives, not much
Home security. Some third party company, would have to redo everything.
Cable modem. Hope that the new ISP support that modem since I own it instead of renting from Comcast.
Xfinity set top boxes. Have no idea.
Roku stick. No issues there.
Home IP addresses. No need to change, since we also have an ASUS WiFi router.
Yep, and that's what every company tries to do--lock you in so that your choices are them or 'just as bad'--you lose either way!

This is why I always ask why some company is trying to push their 'new' on me--is it for them or for me? Almost 100% of the time, it is for them. Like all this docsis crap about cable modems--I see no difference from 2.0 to 3.1 as it's just bandwidth. Instead the isps need it and then use that to gouge people with their 'rentals' and other such nonsense. Mugger fuggers...

I just figure that dealing with those schmucks is part of the "total cost of ownership" with Comcast service.
And unfortunately it seems as if every single company has this type of pain at some level. Gone are the days of who had integrity. :(

Experienced the same double speak as an employee: we see your pay is not commensurate with the local cost of living compared to other shops, then doing nothing when asking about raises.
The same game is played all around. Cheating is the new win?

Sure seems that way. Along with lack of responsibility one's actions. Just look at crypto.
Yep. Lol, crypto. You mean the tulips, right?
12352.jpg

Back