choose : 1070 + gsync OR 1080 + freesync

ncjoe

Limp Gawd
wondering what would be a better choice

1070 gpu + 27'' gsync monitor = about $1100 ...
400 + 700 = 1100
or

1080 gpu + 27'' freesync monitor = about $1100
700 + 400 = 1100

these are rough estimates , but wondering if buying
one or the other would make much of a difference ??
thanks for any advice ..

1070 + g-sync if budget is limited. Though there are options like S2716DG which are quite less than $700

I'd go with 1070 + Gsync. I have been using my PG279Q since they came out and loving it!

1070 + g-sync if budget is limited. Though there are options like S2716DG which are quite less than $700

Agreed, I have the S2716DG and love it paired with my 1080. Can't image the experience itself would be very different with a 1070 other then a few less frames here and there.

Freesync isn't supported on Nvidia cards just like AMD cards don't support GSync.

That being the case, and the options that you gave, go 1070 + GSync.

One more perspective for you to consider...

A GTX 1080 isn't that much faster than a 1070. So a 1070 + GSync will appear smoother than a 1080 without.

Also, once you get the GSync monitor, you can use that on your future (Nvidia only) GPU upgrades. So, next time you won't have to decide between 1170 + Gsync or 1180 without. You could just get the 1180 :)

Last edited:
One more perspective for you to consider...

A GTX 1080 isn't that much faster than a 1070.

Depending on the scenario, I'd have to disagree with that. If you are looking at playing at just 1440 or lower, the 1070 should be "good enough" for most cases (the performance spread between the two won't make too much of an impact in most real world gaming). But if you plan on playing in 4K or want to play at a high frame rate to take advantage of the 2K 144Hz displays (and soon to be high refresh 4K displays), then the 1080 will be the better choice. This is where the performance spread is much more noticeable when applied in real world use.

Having said that, I do agree that a G-Sync monitor does help a lot to make the play experience even smoother. So if it fits within the budget, and you plan on sticking with Nvidia, I would strongly recommend investing in a G-sync display. It also helps smooth out those moments when your system is unable to hit ideal frame rates.

the 27'' monitors I was looking at all are 2k or 1440.... with 144Hz

why are all the monitors still using old displayport 1.2 ????
when the 1070 supports displayport 1.4 now .??

Seems like the monitor companies have been dragging their feet
on this for awhile ..

on this for awhile ..

Because 1.4 isn't required for the features that are on the monitors, and it is cheaper.

I would go for 1080. With a card like that it matters jack and shit what sync your monitor is honestly. 1080 can max out practically any game currently out there at 1440P and still stay in 80-120hz region more or less. Freesync and gsync start to matter when your framerates drop below 60.

I would go for 1080. With a card like that it matters jack and shit what sync your monitor is honestly. 1080 can max out practically any game currently out there at 1440P and still stay in 80-120hz region more or less. Freesync and gsync start to matter when your framerates drop below 60.

Right. And just like the 680, 780, and 980 have shown, the 1080 will ALWAYS run the latest titles at max settings with high frame rates.

The better experience will be the G-Sync monitor now. You keep monitors way longer than video cards typically.

Given the budget limitations I will take 1070 and GSync.

Get PG279Q and a decent 1070. Overclock that mofo like it is on crack. Enjoy 165 fps in Doom (later levels after Argent Tower levels). Hold on to your panties!

Right. And just like the 680, 780, and 980 have shown, the 1080 will ALWAYS run the latest titles at max settings with high frame rates.

Not really the point. But still, our of the two 1080 is the more futureproof one with or without Gsync.

This is an inaccurate statement.

Yeah sorry about that, I was bit a bit inebrated when I wrote the post. Of course Gsync helps whenever FPS drops below the monitor refresh rate whatever that refresh rate may be. But as long as you are above 60fps the frames change so fast that the slight judder caused by framerate and refresh rates being not in sync and jumps from framerate to another are so quick that they should not realtistically bother anyone. Hell, if you go Adaptive Vsync the tearing caused by framerate drops happen so fast that most can mentally block them out. Its when you go below 60fps and you start to see individual frames more clearly the juddering (or tearing) start to get really, really jarring.

So my point still stands. The more horsepower headroom you have the less Gsync and Freesync matter.

Yeah sorry about that, I was bit a bit inebrated when I wrote the post. Of course Gsync helps whenever FPS drops below the monitor refresh rate whatever that refresh rate may be. But as long as you are above 60fps the frames change so fast that the slight judder caused by framerate and refresh rates being not in sync and jumps from framerate to another are so quick that they should not realtistically bother anyone. Hell, if you go Adaptive Vsync the tearing caused by framerate drops happen so fast that most can mentally block them out. Its when you go below 60fps and you start to see individual frames more clearly the juddering (or tearing) start to get really, really jarring.

So my point still stands. The more horsepower headroom you have the less Gsync and Freesync matter.

While a 1080 may be able to play some games over 144 fps. You can still limit your fps to say 142 stay within Freesync/Gsync range and eliminate tearing and have a smooth game play.

For instance I can play TF2, COD4 over 144 fps with my 390x on my BenQ 30z, but I cap it at 142 to remove tearing and have a smooth game experience.

You can also have less power consumption and heat. Which everyone loves right?

Man looked at this monitor today at bestbuy LG 4k IPS freesync for 399 and open box like new for 350. Such a fuckin steal. I fucking hate nvidia for their gsync tax.

LG - 27" IPS LED 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor

It looks even better in person!

I've been singing the praises of this monitor for months. I own one. Merely owning it is making me somewhat lament getting a 1060 over a 480.

Reactions: NKD
like this
I've been singing the praises of this monitor for months. I own one. Merely owning it is making me somewhat lament getting a 1060 over a 480.

you have no idea how hard it was to tell myself not to pick one up lol. I went in to get a gaming keyboard because my old corsair took a crap. Just stopped working. But man I was about to buy this shit ROFL. Almost did it. I still may! Damn it!

you have no idea how hard it was to tell myself not to pick one up lol. I went in to get a gaming keyboard because my old corsair took a crap. Just stopped working. But man I was about to buy this shit ROFL. Almost did it. I still may! Damn it!

The pixels are so small that, in gaming, the scaling is barely noticeable for 1080p and 1440p. To test it, I cloned it to a 1080p VA panel (BenQ EW2750ZL), and for 1440p cloned it to an Apple Cinema Display (LG IPS display). At 1080p, I had to get up close and look to find the subtle blurring. At 1440p the ACD and this were essentially identical. You can run games at 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p on this thing and it will feel native. FreeSync is an added bonus.

But in the end, I had chosen two cards that I thought were the best for 1060 and 480, the EVGA SC and Sapphire Nitro+ OC respectively. I had a deal to get the EVGA SC for $220. The Sapphire would be $280 when in stock. The EVGA is faster across the board (except for a few AMD-specific titles), quieter, and consumes roughly 100W less. So while we always hear about the Gsync tax, THIS was a FreeSync tax. I took the better value.

I'll jump back into the pool when the 1160/580 come out. Hopefully AMD does better next time.

The pixels are so small that, in gaming, the scaling is barely noticeable for 1080p and 1440p. To test it, I cloned it to a 1080p VA panel (BenQ EW2750ZL), and for 1440p cloned it to an Apple Cinema Display (LG IPS display). At 1080p, I had to get up close and look to find the subtle blurring. At 1440p the ACD and this were essentially identical. You can run games at 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p on this thing and it will feel native. FreeSync is an added bonus.

But in the end, I had chosen two cards that I thought were the best for 1060 and 480, the EVGA SC and Sapphire Nitro+ OC respectively. I had a deal to get the EVGA SC for $220. The Sapphire would be $280 when in stock. The EVGA is faster across the board (except for a few AMD-specific titles), quieter, and consumes roughly 100W less. So while we always hear about the Gsync tax, THIS was a FreeSync tax. I took the better value.

I'll jump back into the pool when the 1160/580 come out. Hopefully AMD does better next time.

True but honestly on this monitor there is not really freesync tax, it feels more like an added bonus no? For 400 bucks, 4k, ips, and freesync on top just too sweet lol.

True but honestly on this monitor there is not really freesync tax, it feels more like an added bonus no? For 400 bucks, 4k, ips, and freesync on top just too sweet lol.

No, what I meant was:

Gsync tax - it's on the monitor (rough average of +$200 over FreeSync equivalent)
FreeSync tax - it's on the GPU (in my case, +$60 for a card that would be slower, and consume nearly double the power)

No, what I meant was:

Gsync tax - it's on the monitor (rough average of +$200 over FreeSync equivalent)
FreeSync tax - it's on the GPU (in my case, +$60 for a card that would be slower, and consume nearly double the power)

True when you put it that way.

Nvidia isn't supporting Freesync. AMD isn't making high performance cards. Easy choice.

And get a good monitor that can last many years. Even if it cost a tad more.

G-syn is not $200 premium. 100 or 150 at best.

My 27" 4k IPS was $400. Closest GSync equivalent is $780. That's a $380 difference.

Lenovo Y27g is $600, while Y27f is $400, a difference of $200.

Average across the board, as I stated is about $200 with variance in either direction. When you compare exact models (like the Lenovos), it's $200.

on this for awhile ..

DP1.4 is only needed for single cable 4k@120hz or 5k@60hz modes. Unless monitor makers start supporting display port daisy chaining 1440p@120 and 4k@60 won't see DP1.4 support until it becomes cheap enough to implement that the potential cost savings from a DP1.2 controller aren't large enough to justify making a cheaper model to the companies making the controllers.

I look at this from two perspectives.

From a raw performance perspective, I'd go with the bigger GPU, even if it means going completely without any special sync gaming monitor.

That being said, few components last as long as monitors, so if you are going to spend money on one, you'll likely have it for a long time, so a monitor is a better place to spend money.

There I go contradicting myself.

With that said, I'm happy playing my games on standard 60hz screens with adaptive vsync. My top goal is to have minimum framerates never drop below 60fps with all the eye candy turned on, so I usually just go big GPU.

Reactions: NKD
like this
G-syn is not $200 premium. 100 or 150 at best.

I disagree. It depends on the monitor you want. I can get a 4k ips freesync monitor or 399. 27 inch. find me a gsync ips 4k monitor for even 600. It's about what you are looking for. It's hardly 100--150.

I disagree. It depends on the monitor you want. I can get a 4k ips freesync monitor or 399. 27 inch. find me a gsync ips 4k monitor for even 600. It's about what you are looking for. It's hardly 100--150.

Quality needs to be exactly the same to do a direct price compare. Actually down to a specific model. Its also not fun if you end up with a Freesync monitor with 40-48 or even higher minimum FPS. requirement.

Quality needs to be exactly the same to do a direct price compare. Actually down to a specific model. Its also not fun if you end up with a Freesync monitor with 40-48 or even higher minimum FPS. requirement.

In this case, the $400 IPS 4k FreeSync is known to be higher quality than the $780 Gsymc "equivalent". In the Lenovo example, same exact monitor but $200 difference.

In this case, the $400 IPS 4k FreeSync is known to be higher quality than the $780 Gsymc "equivalent". In the Lenovo example, same exact monitor but $200 difference.

40-60hz Freesync with no LFC. Reviews of the monitor isn't exactly stellar, but it shouldn't surprise anyone since you tend to get what you pay for. Horrible antiglare coating etc.

Actually down to a specific model. Its also not fun if you end up with a Freesync monitor with 40-48 or even higher minimum FPS. requirement.

I'd not run settings in any games that result in that low of a framerate, even as a momentary minimum anyway.

40-60hz Freesync with no LFC. Reviews of the monitor isn't exactly stellar, but it shouldn't surprise anyone since you tend to get what you pay for. Horrible antiglare coating etc.

Agreed on lack of LFC. Stellar reviewers. One review complained about the coating, but that's because he has a strong preference for a certain kind. The coating is fine. It's the same as the other 27" 4k IPS panels.

Back