Certs

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
Ok... so it was just let known to me that I have to have 1 cert from a long list (i.e., Oracle, Apple, NetApp, Comptia - Linux +, HP - CSE... ) list goes on. Also on the list there's the MCSE 2003 (L) and the MCTIP. Which of these two are faster to obtain?

Comptia are easy peasy. Go that route if you just want to get it over with. If you want an actual certification that is meaningful, go for a MS or Cisco one.

CompTIA A+, Network+ or you can go the Microsoft route for Windows 7 cert (70-680).

The questions you should answer are:

1. How long do you have?
2. Do you really care to continue and progress your career in IT? If so, pick a route starting now since it's required and try to progress with it.

MCITP encompasses a lot of certified titles, some have two exams and others have more.

Microsoft link

As for getting it done as fast as you can we'll need to know what line of work you're in and some of your background.

Any entry level CompTia certs (A+, Network+ etc) are a breeze to pass.

Is an MCTS on your list, or do you need to get an MCITP cert? If you can get away with just an MCTS that's only one test. Vista or Windows 7 would be the easiest.

Is an MCTS on your list, or do you need to get an MCITP cert? If you can get away with just an MCTS that's only one test. Vista or Windows 7 would be the easiest.

Windows 7 wasn't really that easy. It wasn't too difficult, but you have to study a good bit. The Vista exam, like someone said above, requires very little study. That is, unless they've changed it in the past few years.

I don't mind, it counted as an elective on my MCSA: 2003. :)

Windows 7 wasn't really that easy. It wasn't too difficult, but you have to study a good bit. The Vista exam, like someone said above, requires very little study. That is, unless they've changed it in the past few years.

I don't mind, it counted as an elective on my MCSA: 2003. :)

The Windows 7 cert would be more future proof if he wanted to add additional certs down the line though. The Windows 7 exam is one of the next ones I need to take. I haven't taken a client exam since 2000 Workstation! It was still good for the MCSA/MCSE 2003, but not the MCITP for 2008 Server and Enterprise Admin.

MCSE (L) and MCTIP... that's on my list and more of what I do.

Are there specific MCITP certs on the list, or will anyone do? There are a lot of different MCITP certs...

Windows Client
MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7
MCITP: Consumer Support Technician on Windows Vista
MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician on Windows Vista

Windows Server
MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008
MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2

Microsoft SQL Server
MCITP: Database Administrator 2008
MCITP: Database Developer 2008
MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008

Microsoft Office Project Server
MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Microsoft Office Project Server 2007

Microsoft Exchange Server
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator on Exchange 2010
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator on Exchange 2007

Microsoft SharePoint Server
MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

Microsoft Lync Server
MCITP: Lync Server Administrator 2010

More info

Yeah, I decided to go with the Server Administrator Windows Server 2008. Company is paying for the training and the voucher. :p

Yeah, I decided to go with the Server Administrator Windows Server 2008. Company is paying for the training and the voucher. :p
:confused:
Server administrator is comprised of multiple tests. You dont just take 1 test and become server administrator.

:confused:
Server administrator is comprised of multiple tests. You dont just take 1 test and become server administrator.
If the company were paying for it, I'd do that too. Hell, I'd go enterprise administrator. It's their dime after all.

I had to pay for my certs by myself, and let me tell you; that fucking sucks.

If the company were paying for it, I'd do that too. Hell, I'd go enterprise administrator. It's their dime after all.

I had to pay for my certs by myself, and let me tell you; that fucking sucks.
He said voucher though, as in singular. It sounded like he was expecting 1 class/test to make him sever administrator.

All of the MCITP certs are multiple exams. The minimum is two - 1 MCTS level exam and 1 Pro level exam.

RHCE is a cert I need on the list, but I don't really work on RH systems besides a node here and there.

I am currently studying for my MCTS 70-640 and I just got my MCTS 70-642 last Friday. If you have a decent amount of experience with AD/Windows Server 2008 you shouldn't have a problem. The MCTS 70-642 was a little challenging since I hadn't used some of the things covered in it before however the 70-640 is easy so far since I have a few years experience with large AD forests.

If you have a decent amount of experience with AD/Windows Server 2008 you shouldn't have a problem.
not necessarily. i had a big challenge because there is my way (sys admins daily easy shortcut way) and then there is the MICROSOFT way. Guess which way is on the tests? :p

not necessarily. i had a big challenge because there is my way (sys admins daily easy shortcut way) and then there is the MICROSOFT way. Guess which way is on the tests? :p

They should just have one giant ass simulator question. As long as you get it setup and working, you pass. If you get it partially setup correctly, you get partial marks, etc. Who cares what method and shortcuts you use then. As long as you get the same result in the end and it's secure and properly done.

Same issues here. I knew how it should be done, but then I knew what the MS way was. Drove me crazy.

Back