Certifications for entry level IT/Web Dev

Spun Ducky

Gawd
I am curious what certifications if any are worth getting for breaking into IT/Web Dev for someone without a college degree.

A portfolio for sites with ones you've developed or worked on, and skill + critical thinking for IT. :)

I am curious what certifications if any are worth getting for breaking into IT/Web Dev for someone without a college degree.

None.

I mean it, absolutely none. The entry level certifications (A+, Network+, CCENT, etc) do nothing more than certify that you're capable of breathing without being reminded. On the other hand, if you have a higher level cert and no job experience, I'm going to wonder (briefly) why you couldn't get a job and ended up expending your energy on a certification. If I come across a resume and a certification is the only relevant thing I see on there, I throw it away.

IT/Web Dev? Those are two different things. No doubt you can learn both, you likely wouldn't hired for both unless it was some small startup or you are thinking more along the lines of IT/Webmaster consulting.

Back