Can't get 2300MHz RAM to run at 2300

Rasalom

n00b
Good day gentlemen, ladies and lizard people.

I'm hoping to get some help with my problem (see title).

I just built two new PCs and they both have the same issue... neither one will use the correct RAM. Now I know that you get into your bios, Enable X.M.P. and you should be good to go. Well, from what I can tell, that's not the case for me.

When I get into the bios and enable it, it shows XMP DDR4-3200 16-18-18-38-1.35V, but it doesn't look like it's actually using it as it's still showing as 2133MHz in the BIOS info and on my task manager memory screens. See below. (oh, and I did save and exit the bios settings if anyone is wondering)..

Also, these the specs for both PCs are the same an in the Mobo screenshot below.
Mobo - ASUS Prime B760M-A D4
Chipset - i5-13600K
RAM - G. Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2x 16GB)

Attachments

• 230909053858.jpg
    230909053858.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Task Manager.jpg
    Task Manager.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Try loading up HWinfo and see what it says your memory speed is. I just checked and mine is reporting 2133 like yours in windows but XMP is on and HWinfo says 3200

Check
Just ran HWinfo and got this...
This confirms it's running at 2133MHz.

How are you enabling XMP? On every Asus motherboard I've ever used, it's not called that and there is no such option in the BIOS. On Asus you'll be looking for DOCP, turn that on and you should be good to go.

quick edit: looked at your initial screenshot from first post and don't use EZ Mode, go into advanced mode.

Check

This confirms it's running at 2133MHz.

How are you enabling XMP? On every Asus motherboard I've ever used, it's not called that and there is no such option in the BIOS. On Asus you'll be looking for DOCP, turn that on and you should be good to go.

quick edit: looked at your initial screenshot from first post and don't use EZ Mode, go into advanced mode.
Except I'm running a brand new Asus motherboard.

do a good battery out, power unplugged cmos reset and try it again. then if it still doesnt work, contact asus.

do a good battery out, power unplugged cmos reset and try it again. then if it still doesnt work, contact asus.
I'm doubting that will help simply because it would have to be an issue with the bios/ mobo/ ram instead of an individual PC problem as it's happenening on two different computers with exactly the same build.

I'm doubting that will help simply because it would have to be an issue with the bios/ mobo/ ram instead of an individual PC problem as it's happenening on two different computers with exactly the same build.
good luck then

I'm betting they respond with something very similar to the provided suggestion.
If they did, that would be great, because it means they can replicate what's happening and have a fix for it. I'm doubting it, as it's affecting both of my PCs, so it would probably be more systematic then just a cmos reset.

So, Asus support just got back to me with this:

We check that the model is ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME. (I have no idea where they got this from).

Troubleshoot kindly:

1. Please clean all memory modules with an eraser. (guessing a pencil eraser)

2. If there are errors on the memory test (what memory test??) the memory modules is faulty, please kindly exchannge memory kit with memory kit from the memory QVL. the CMT64GX5M2X6600C32 is not in the memory QVL. (So they are saying that all four sticks of memory is faulty, as I'm using 2 sticks in 2 PCs)....

Needless to say, I'm going back to them to ask where the hell they got the ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME from.

i wouldnt bother trying to clean brand new sticks. i have had it help with old dirty systems, but new wont have their issues.
yeah its clearly not a ROG mobo...

i wouldnt bother trying to clean brand new sticks. i have had it help with old dirty systems, but new wont have their issues.
yeah its clearly not a ROG mobo...
Yup, not to mention, it's the exact same issue on both PCs... so for sure not faulty memory... I'm gonna push back and get them to do their actual support and find me an answer that's not.."use our approved ram"...

Yup, not to mention, it's the exact same issue on both PCs... so for sure not faulty memory... I'm gonna push back and get them to do their actual support and find me an answer that's not.."use our approved ram"...
with some systems "use their approved ram" is the only way to go...

So, I called Memory Express (the place I bought everything from) and explained the situation to them. They said the best/ easiest course of action due to the fact that everything is brand new is to package up the RAM, and return it and swap it out for something that's on their approved QVL list. They said it SHOULD work, but there's no point in fighting with it to do so if a RAM swap will fix the issues. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I head back there and do the swap.

As for the QVL thing, for anyone having this issue as well, check here.
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...pdesk_qvl_memory/?model2Name=PRIME-B760M-A-D4

So, I called Memory Express (the place I bought everything from) and explained the situation to them. They said the best/ easiest course of action due to the fact that everything is brand new is to package up the RAM, and return it and swap it out for something that's on their approved QVL list. They said it SHOULD work, but there's no point in fighting with it to do so if a RAM swap will fix the issues. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I head back there and do the swap.

As for the QVL thing, for anyone having this issue as well, check here.
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...pdesk_qvl_memory/?model2Name=PRIME-B760M-A-D4
so youre a fellow canuckistani, eh? mem-ex will get you sorted out.

Se here's the RAM I'm gonna get tomorrow, confirming it's on their list before I do. Will let you know if I have any issues after install.

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 0
Update as promised. Got the new RAM. Installed in both machines. Boots up fine. Get into Bios and enabled XMP. (used XMP 1 on one machine and XMP 2 on the other) Reboot and still 2133 on task manager.

Update as promised. Got the new RAM. Installed in both machines. Boots up fine. Get into Bios and enabled XMP. (used XMP 1 on one machine and XMP 2 on the other) Reboot and still 2133 on task manager.
did you click save and exit?

see what hwinfo says its running at. i have seen windows/taskman only report the base speed before...

see what hwinfo says its running at. i have seen windows/taskman only report the base speed before...
Still says 2133. gonna have to find a detailed guild on what to change to manually overclock it and see if that works. Otherwise it's into the shop and let the pros do it.

Still says 2133. gonna have to find a detailed guild on what to change to manually overclock it and see if that works. Otherwise it's into the shop and let the pros do it.
Set RAM voltage manually to 1.35v.
Set RAM frequency to 3200MHz.
Set timings to 16-18-18-38. Usually the numbers are in order in the BIOS timings menu but this is tCL, tRCD, tRP and tRAS respectively. I would also suggest Command Rate / CR at 1. You can leave all the other memory timings on Auto.
Save and Exit.

I've missed the voltage, set to 1.35. Then saved and reset. Still no change.

Attachments

• Bios1.jpg
    Bios1.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bios2.jpg
    Bios2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bios3.jpg
    Bios3.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
is xmp in that top "ai overclock" drop down? if so, turn it on.
This or maybe try changing the Ai Overclock Tuner (from the second screenshot in your previous post Rasalom) to either XMP I or XMP II to see if it makes any difference.

My last thought here is it's just a bad BIOS from Asus. If it's not setting the RAM frequency and timings to what you set something is seriously messed up. Since the CPU you're using is supported on all BIOS revision you could try rolling back (flashing) to literally any BIOS to see if that makes a change.

My last last thought would be buying RAM that comes with a JEDEC speed of 3200MHz. This should just naturally boot up at 3200MHz with the correct timings/voltage/frequency if XMP is bugged. It's not a G.Skill issue that your Asus motherboard isn't adhering to loading the XMP profile (which it CAN properly read because it shows it in BIOS) or even manually setting the BIOS options you did.

Also, I'm waiting for Asus to get back to me with the actual mobo I'm using and the issues. I'll see what they say when I tell them I changed the RAM out to one that's on their QVL list.

Also, I'm waiting for Asus to get back to me with the actual mobo I'm using and the issues. I'll see what they say when I tell them I changed the RAM out to one that's on their QVL list.
Asus better check they can load any XMP kit and the board actually adheres to manual settings on BIOS 1200...

I have said similar things before but memory QVL is essentially meaningless nowadays since all modern processors have moved to having the memory controller integrated on the CPU (Integrated Memory Controller / IMC).

So I've tried both XMP 1 and 2 and still nothing. With the new RAM they can't say it's not compatable anymore..

So, final post for this issue.

I took one of the machines down to Memory Express for some professional assistance. They did all the tests I did, and checked both sets of RAM. Turns out that between the time I purchased the parts and they updated the bios for me at the start of September, and now ASUS put out a BIOS update that corrected this problem.

Download the update. Flash the BIOS, and enable XMP. Everything works great and task manager/ HWInfo shows the 3200 I should be getting.

One note.. having HWInfo already installed was handy for them as well.

I took one of the machines down to Memory Express for some professional assistance. They did all the tests I did, and checked both sets of RAM. Turns out that between the time I purchased the parts and they updated the bios for me at the start of September, and now ASUS put out a BIOS update that corrected this problem.

Download the update. Flash the BIOS, and enable XMP. Everything works great and task manager/ HWInfo shows the 3200 I should be getting.

My last thought here is it's just a bad BIOS from Asus. If it's not setting the RAM frequency and timings to what you set something is seriously messed up. Since the CPU you're using is supported on all BIOS revision you could try rolling back (flashing) to literally any BIOS to see if that makes a change.
For a board vendor to ship out a BIOS version that ignores XMP and/or manual settings.... What else wasn't it applying that a user sets? Shame on them.

Glad you got the issue finally sorted out, what a rollercoaster. In good news at least Asus pulled BIOS 1200 and now lists 1205 and 1220 as the two most recents.

you said it was up to date...
well at least its working and they got ya sorted out like i knew they would.

Back