Can someone explain the whole insurance thing when shipping to me?

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Let's say I just sold my video card to someone on the forums, but I want to insure it for safety . What would I have to do, to accomplish this? Do I need proof of buying this thing? Or what?

Thanks

When you go to ship it, ask for insurance. You fill out a little form for how much you'd like to insure it for. Tah dah. :D

yep that's it. however claiming that insurance in case of damage is another story. some ebay sellers "require" insurance for things like vid cards. they just send ya a dead card and claim it was the USPS

figures.. my freind did that, bought a sony vx2000 off ebay for $1850... damn thing barely works... sound problems, video problems, loose parts. of course the guy wont refund it or fix it, and they could do was leave negative feedback on him, which he returned, since you know, it was bad on his record to sell a bad camera. now, i'm gonna have to show them how to run the rounds with the cops out there... i'd say 1800 bucks is worth a drive even... he couldnt sell that camera for 500 now

I too, would like to know what would be needed to claim the money in case there was damage. I've shipped USPS with insurance, and I asked them what I would have to do if I needed to claim the insurance. They said I'll have to provide a receipt, but I didn't ask what if I didnt have a receipt for the item. Fortunatly, I've never had to deal with a dead item, so I've never actually made a claim.

Has anyone actually had to make a claim with the USPS for an insured item? If so, what did you use to prove the price?

I cannot comment about filing an insurance claim with the USPS, but filing a claim with UPS is just about worthless!

My business partner and I have a computer leasing company. Everytime we'd ship a computer via UPS, we would purchase insurance. The computers are always shipped in the same box that our vendor ships them to us. Anyway, one time a customer complained that their compurer arrived damaged. We sent the customer a new computer and we got the damaged one back, thinking that the insurance would cover the damages...boy were we WRONG! UPS informed us that the shipping box didn't meet their "pack code", therefore they refused to pay the claim. We shipped it through a local UPS drop off store. When the owner of the store accepted the box and took our money for the insurance, nothing was said about not meeting the "pack code". We had never heard of a "pack code", nor had we ever had a shipper tell us that we needed to do a better job packing.

The Small Claims Court judge dismissed the claim against the shipper, and informed us that we would have to re-file against UPS and specifically the person or persons responsible for denying the claim.

We let it go and decided to never buy shipping insurance again.

Thanks a lot guys! It looks like I will be keeping my reciepts and fulfilling UPS's packaging needs from now on! :p

Thanks again... ;)

7th Angel said:
........We let it go and decided to never buy shipping insurance again.

umm, talking about trowing out the baby with the bath water....why not just never use UPS again? ;)

Back