buying computer parts as a canadian

PanzeR-

Limp Gawd
I've build a few computers already buying all the parts from internet. While we get no customs fees buying from newegg.ca and the such, price on something like a highend video cards can be as much as 30% higher, even if our dollar is quite strong atm.

A quick search on amazon.ca for a gtx580 will show you what I'm talking about.

Also, while a lot of deals from american e-tailers can seem tempting, you end up gouged up by customs fees. For exemple, i bought a crucial c300 128g ssd for 200$ US one year ago, cost me about 215$CAN with shipping. I got owned by 35$ customs fees at the door.

I'm aware of redflagdeals.com, but most of the deals seems to be about low end systems and hardware.

My question is: where do you fellow canadians get your hardware?

I was in canada for a while and i must agree its SUCKS to pay morein this present economy.I used to just suck it up and buy at ++++ or find a canada computers store.

If you have a friend in US that you could visit on road[like buffallo], getting through him would be risk worth taking if you are ordering enough stuff to make the difference worth.

Try canada computers.com
Be aware that many people cry foul about their products,but I never had a bad experience.

rule #1
only accept USPS as your shipping method, UPS and FedEX fees are ridiculous when it comes to cross border

USPS comes in Canada post and ive never received any stupid fees, on the odd NEW item ive had a bill for the taxes only but even on RMA's Fedex and UPS will try and bill you taxes and brokerage fees based on insured value if there is no invoice to base it off of.. which they cant do.

personally I just use N SEE EYE X .ca (they are blocked on here, guessing since they are competition to egg)

ways to save money living in Canada:

1. heavily make use of price finder such as Pricebat.ca and search those lowest and suitable and bring to your local store to price match (I never shop where they don't price match), the difference is huge enough.

2. if you're a N.C,I-X customer, visiting directly their website you get the "regular" price. If you search the product through Pricebat.ca then click link to the exact same product page, it often appears a much cheaper price (with a promo code)... I hate this kind of business practice.

I've always buy from whoshallnotbenamed site... always had GREAT service , inexpensive and fast shipping... really can't complain.

ways to save money living in Canada:

1. heavily make use of price finder such as Pricebat.ca and search those lowest and suitable and bring to your local store to price match (I never shop where they don't price match), the difference is huge enough.

2. if you're a N.C,I-X customer, visiting directly their website you get the "regular" price. If you search the product through Pricebat.ca then click link to the exact same product page, it often appears a much cheaper price (with a promo code)... I hate this kind of business practice.

if you checked the sales page it would of been in there under that page. For whatever reason the sales page prices dont show up if you look up the item specificly but search engines like pricebat pull up thier sales page prices.

As for which store, I shop N cix.com 99% of the time, they pricematch any canadian website and have top notch customer service. Not to mention writting reviews on products you purchase and thier newsletter earns you points, use those points to get a free 1year VIP membership and you get things like 1 year warrenty on all OEM parts, and free RMA shipping. http://directcanada.com/ is N cix's sister site, normally slightly lower prices and better rates on air shipping, but customer service isnt as good.

^
Boy oh boy does DC suck in terms of customer service. It's like they allocate 1 person to staff the entire website. If you want, go to BestDirect as they're the sister site. >$80 for free shipping and the staff that serves compu2000 (Mac sister site) also staff BD. Easier to get a hold of people. But the best course of action, just price match at N CIX for the best support.

Most Canadians don't realize it, but we overpay for everything (from computer parts to groceries) compared to our Neighbors down south... By a good 30-50%.

And then we get extra super fun taxed on top of that too.

It's the expensive price of free healthcare.

Yeah but your social services make up for it by a mile try being getting hit by a car while crossing the street having the driver flee the scene and ending up owing $50,000 in hospital bills after what your insurance covered. believe me it will make you long for free health care and slightly over priced PC parts.

and dpn't forget any American that actually makes a decent living is taxed 30+% too it's only our giant corporation's like GE that get away with not paying taxes we still stick to our citizens.

Last edited:
I only buy locally usually at Canada Computers or small shops(whatever has the best deals). The prices aren't too bad compared to the USA for most stuff. It's usually brand new stuff where you pay an extra 20-30.

All the stuff in my sig cost around what the US pays. $119 CPU, 45 Memory, 189 GPU, 24.99 212+, 90 motherboard. No rebates on any of it.

Most Canadians don't realize it, but we overpay for everything (from computer parts to groceries) compared to our Neighbors down south... By a good 30-50%.

And then we get extra super fun taxed on top of that too.

It's the expensive price of free healthcare.
Ya we do pay more, its thanks to crap like shipping and customs fees. As for expensive free health care im glad we have it, when we had our kid and something went wrong requiring an emergancy c section I don't have a spare $20k sitting around to pay for that lol. Ill gladly pay the higher taxes knowing I never have to worry about affording medicle help when its needed

Back