Budget build for my dad

sed8em

2[H]4U
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Light duty stuff, internet, bill paying, MS Office, photo library (probably using Picasa)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
With the preliminary build I showed him at $425, he is comfortable with that.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Tulsa, OK

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Here is the PC Hound list:
https://pchound.com/pBWbFX/

Case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, PSU.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Western Digital 500gb 3.5" HDD

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
24" 1920x1200

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Just the basics, nothing fancy.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I am going to buy a license off Reddit /softwareswap for Windows 8.1 for $20. Did that for MS Office for my PC and it works great.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I am going to buy a license off Reddit /softwareswap for Windows 8.1 for $20. Did that for MS Office for my PC and it works great.

The problem with that is we do not condone it: The key where you might buy from that site might have been previously used and previously activated by someone else. As such, you might need to buy an actual new, unused copy of Windows just to make it legitimate.

In addition, I do not recommend buying an OEM copy of Windows due to Microsoft's licensing restrictions: The OEM copy is intended only for pre-installation on a system that you are planning to resell to someone else (e.g. a total stranger). It is not intended for installation on a system that you are planning to use personally or to give to a family member.

Just buy a pre-built computer, less noise and support (including warranty) is much better. This is from years of experience...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ower_i3_4130_4_500gb_windows7p_windows8p.html

It does "only" have 4Gb of RAM but that's easily expandable but the CPU is much better and while there's a mechanical HDD you can easily replace it later on.
//Danne

How is that going to have less noise and better support?

The only part that will make noise in my selected components is the PSU, which Amazon reviews says it runs quiet.

Of all the PCs I have built, none have ever had an issue. A part breaks? Order a new one and return the old one to Amazon. Lenovo can't do that. If a part breaks on him, I can drive up to his house after work as soon as the new part gets here and put it in.

Last edited:
The problem with that is we do not condone it: The key where you might buy from that site might have been previously used and previously activated by someone else. As such, you might need to buy an actual new, unused copy of Windows just to make it legitimate.

In addition, I do not recommend buying an OEM copy of Windows due to Microsoft's licensing restrictions: The OEM copy is intended only for pre-installation on a system that you are planning to resell to someone else (e.g. a total stranger). It is not intended for installation on a system that you are planning to use personally or to give to a family member.

I get what you're saying. I may have an unused, legit Win 7 serial that he can have. I don't want his primary OS activation status to be reliant on something that may or may not work several months from now.

In the past I have used that site for my Office 2010 serial and it worked great.

@ sprtnbsblplya
Your CPU is not going to last long without a fan and you should have some kind of airflow in the case itself. As for support, if something isn't working just give Lenovo a call and they'll handle everything and easy and most of all saves time. This one of many reasons why businesses doesn't have whiteboxes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265796 - The reviews are very favorable regarding the noise. That said, stuff breaks and cheap stuff does that even more. While it's not top of the line Lenovo/HP/Dell/* in ~95% of all cases have better hardware at these prices but its all up to you.
//Danne

@ sprtnbsblplya
Your CPU is not going to last long without a fan and you should have some kind of airflow in the case itself. As for support, if something isn't working just give Lenovo a call and they'll handle everything and easy and most of all saves time. This one of many reasons why businesses doesn't have whiteboxes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265796 - The reviews are very favorable regarding the noise. That said, stuff breaks and cheap stuff does that even more. While it's not top of the line Lenovo/HP/Dell/* in ~95% of all cases have better hardware at these prices but its all up to you.
//Danne

I realize that :p, built plenty of desktops. It comes with a fan/heatsink. If he complains about noise I can always upgrade to a quieter unit.

Not arguing with you guys, just trying to see how a pre built would be better. I've always built my own high performance desktops and helped friends build performance builds.

What about something like this?
http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/10AUX003US/445

Enough leftover to buy an SSD. Comes with Windows 8.

There's a trade-off, going sub 500 is usually not worth the time in the end as you may end up getting very minor difference in performance if any at all including an OS license. It would however but a bad idea if you were going for a gaming box.
That Lenovo box would do fine and it does have on-site which is pretty nice :)
//Danne

Last edited:
That would do fine and it does have on-site which is pretty nice :)
//Danne

Good deal. Thanks for the advice. Never done a budget build before.

So the final system with that would be:

Refurb Thinkcentre E73: i3 4130, 4gb RAM, legit Windows 8, 500gb 7200rpm HDD, I would add in a 256gb SSD from Amazon once the computer gets here and reinstall the Lenovo Windows 8.
I am giving him my old Dell 2408wfp which still works great and I believe is better than the low end 23-24" budget monitors from Best Buy for $100.

I would probably go for another (higher spec/better) SSD if budget allows and another 4gb stick (8gb is going to do wonders compared to 4gb).

Micron M600 256GB
Plextor PX-256M6Pro

Both should be around ~140-150$

He is most likely going to get a better monitor if he gets your Dell instead of some cheap 100$ one.
//Danne

I would probably go for another (higher spec/better) SSD if budget allows and another 4gb stick (8gb is going to do wonders compared to 4gb).

Micron M600 256GB
Plextor PX-256M6Pro

Both should be around ~140-150$

He is most likely going to get a better monitor if he gets your Dell instead of some cheap 100$ one.
//Danne

Thanks Danne. I'm going to go with what you recommended. I think he'll be pretty happy. Glad I asked here before ordering parts.

zotac or intel nuc

got my mom a celery based CL1320 and it is fine for what she uses it for

They are much more expensive and slower, doesn't make much sense in getting those.
That said, I would highly recommend you not to get Celerons for something that is used for user interaction as they're _very_ slow.
//Danne

Last edited:
I have yet to find anyone to agree that Celeron is adequate, desktop should have some kind of i3 or better CPU.
//Danne

Chromebox with an external HDD if he needs the storage.

Perfectly fine for 99% of the stuff that OP is requiring for the system.

Toss a 3 year warranty on that sucker and call it a day.

HP or Dell 4GB RAM.

300 bucks give or take 50 after all is said and done.

Last edited:
As stated, already purchased the i3 based Lenovo desktop.
I agree with Danne, I don't think my dad would be happy with a Celeron. It may be fast today, but it will show its age faster than a current i3.

As stated, already purchased the i3 based Lenovo desktop.
I agree with Danne, I don't think my dad would be happy with a Celeron. It may be fast today, but it will show its age faster than a current i3.

you said

op said:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Light duty stuff, internet, bill paying, MS Office, photo library (probably using Picasa)

a Celeron is more than enough for that kind of work and unlike an i3, the can turbo boost.

I built my parents a Celeron based system way back in 2008 for the exact same things you describe and replaced it with a Zotac CL320... does everything just fine

Back