Brand for 4080

Asus n gigabyte
Asus WAS good. Their 3080s and 3090s have a good cooler - most cards run cool/quiet but perhaps, something was done differently with the next Nvidia (and AMD gens) - the 4080 / 4090 series have a lot of coil whine reports/complaints - ironically, there's a lot of complaints on the AMD site with Asus too - 7900 XT/XTX Tuf series have a lot of coil whine complaints. The frequency/numbers are significantly high - it's difficult to say they're isolated cases. It's unfortunate as I read that their 3080 Tuf (not sure about Strix) series were really good - that's why I bought mine.

Asus WAS good. Their 3080s and 3090s have a good cooler - most cards run cool/quiet but perhaps, something was done differently with the next Nvidia (and AMD gens) - the 4080 / 4090 series have a lot of coil whine reports/complaints - ironically, there's a lot of complaints on the AMD site with Asus too - 7900 XT/XTX Tuf series have a lot of coil whine complaints. The frequency/numbers are significantly high - it's difficult to say they're isolated cases. It's unfortunate as I read that their 3080 Tuf (not sure about Strix) series were really good - that's why I bought mine.
My Asus Strix 3090 is a banshee. I have to limit fps at like 100 to make it bearable. It doesn't help that I have it installed in a Praxis Wetbench, less than 3 feet from my ear. Everything else in the system is so quiet, it really grates on me. I replaced a dead silent EVGA FTW 3080 with that 3090 because I got an awesome deal on it and had a buyer for the 3080. In hindsight, I wouldn't have done it.

My Asus Strix 3090 is a banshee. I have to limit fps at like 100 to make it bearable. It doesn't help that I have it installed in a Praxis Wetbench, less than 3 feet from my ear. Everything else in the system is so quiet, it really grates on me. I replaced a dead silent EVGA FTW 3080 with that 3090 because I got an awesome deal on it and had a buyer for the 3080. In hindsight, I wouldn't have done it.
Sorry, you experienced that. I read a few complaints about coil whine with 3080s/3090s Tuf - but, they were the minority - most ppl I talked to said their 3080/3090 Tuf was quiet and I DID ASK THEM if they their card had coil whine - and they told me, no. That was the majority of ppl I talked to or read posts regarding those cards. That's why I decided to take a chance with a used 3080 Tuf. However, the next gen series of Asus cards - I'm reading way more complaints of coil whine and like I said, it is the same situation with ASUS Tuf 7900 series cards. So, as much as I like my 3080 Tuf card, I'd avoid the Tuf series next gen, both Nvidia and AMD. Just too many coil whine complaints.

My 4090 OC Strix has very little to no coil whine. My Gigabyte 4090 on the other hand that I had before the Strix card did have slightly more coil whine, but it really wasn't that bad.

My 4090 OC Strix has very little to no coil whine. My Gigabyte 4090 on the other hand that I had before the Strix card did have slightly more coil whine, but it really wasn't that bad.
Thanks for your feedback. :) 'Best Budget 4080' thread might be interesting to read through, too? I'm really interested in upgrading my 3080 - since, I'm worried about the VRAM amount - and the 4080 would be on my radar but I think it'll be too much $$ so I might have to wait a couple of years? :) Noise is # concern for me - I won't OC - these cards are already clocked high enough, imho (at least for me) and the Nvidia 40 series are pretty efficient so I don't see why I would OC them when their main 'draw' (hehe) is the efficiency (compared to their AMD counterpart 7900 series).
The 7900 series are expensive too (generally speaking) but obviously, cheaper to the 4080. I think the 4070 Ti is an alternative (for me) but I HATE that it's only 12gb! I find - deciding/planning an upgrade to be a rather antagonizing process. :)

Back