Bottleneck...i dont get it

Psycrow

Gawd
I got a I9 11900k with a 3080 ti. Cpu is OC to 5100 mhz
For now i just got a 1080 samsung 27" monitor.
But im looking forward to buy a 4090 card with this monitor https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95qe-b
Will i end up with any bottleneck ? and what will it mean for me ?
Can i play 4k games without lag or low fps ?

I dont get it...

There is always a bottleneck, but you will probably be fine with that monitor and GPU upgrade.
Btw, that monitor is 1440p, not 4K, but you can't render at 4K with no issues with the 4090.

I got a I9 11900k with a 3080 ti. Cpu is OC to 5100 mhz
For now i just got a 1080 samsung 27" monitor.
But im looking forward to buy a 4090 card with this monitor https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95qe-b
Will i end up with any bottleneck ? and what will it mean for me ?
Can i play 4k games without lag or low fps ?

I dont get it...
"bottleneck" gets thrown around a lot, but really what it means is "one part of your system is not fast enough to adequately allow another part of your system to be used at 100% effectiveness"

This could mean your CPU holds back your GPU significantly, or it could mean that it holds it back just a tiny bit. As Zepher said above: Your system will ALWAYS have a bottleneck by this broad definition, what you want to avoid is to have a bottleneck that significantly affects your experience, like a really old/slow CPU with a super fast GPU, or vice versa.

Bottlenecks can change depending on the workload as well: Some games don't hit the CPU very hard, and even a mid-range CPU can keep the frames pumping to the 4090 as fast as the card can render them, in that situation, the game is actually GPU bottlenecked! that's not a bad thing, the workload just shifted the bottleneck to another component. In other games, the CPU will hold it back, and the bottleneck will shift back.

There is always a bottleneck, but you will probably be fine with that monitor and GPU upgrade.
Btw, that monitor is 1440p, not 4K, but you can't render at 4K with no issues with the 4090.
I failed to see it was not a 4k monitor..so its a 2k only ?

But i actualy wanted a 4k with a 4090 card or a radeon card. Waiting for releases like we all do.

"bottleneck" gets thrown around a lot, but really what it means is "one part of your system is not fast enough to adequately allow another part of your system to be used at 100% effectiveness"

This could mean your CPU holds back your GPU significantly, or it could mean that it holds it back just a tiny bit. As Zepher said above: Your system will ALWAYS have a bottleneck by this broad definition, what you want to avoid is to have a bottleneck that significantly affects your experience, like a really old/slow CPU with a super fast GPU, or vice versa.

Bottlenecks can change depending on the workload as well: Some games don't hit the CPU very hard, and even a mid-range CPU can keep the frames pumping to the 4090 as fast as the card can render them, in that situation, the game is actually GPU bottlenecked! that's not a bad thing, the workload just shifted the bottleneck to another component. In other games, the CPU will hold it back, and the bottleneck will shift back.
Hmm i understand now..as long a si can play game son a 4k monitor with a 4090 card. Its not like im gona play crysis. I play warframe and leagoe of legend and path of exile at most. I will maybe buy modern warfare 2 and diablo 4 when it releases.
But i usualy play MMORPG games

Yes you absolutely will get excellent results with that cpu and a 4090. A newer CPU might get you a few percent more frames. It is not going to be enough difference to seriously consider tossing your 11900k and buying a 13900k system. At 4k especially the video card is always the main bottleneck unless your CPU is many generations old. You have a 3080 ti... You should be playing at 4k right now like all the rest of us. The idea you have to be at 120+ fps all the time to enjoy 4k is ludicrous. I'm loving 4k on my 3080Ti.

Yes you absolutely will get excellent results with that cpu and a 4090. A newer CPU might get you a few percent more frames. It is not going to be enough difference to seriously consider tossing your 11900k and buying a 13900k system. At 4k especially the video card is always the main bottleneck unless your CPU is many generations old. You have a 3080 ti... You should be playing at 4k right now like all the rest of us. The idea you have to be at 120+ fps all the time to enjoy 4k is ludicrous. I'm loving 4k on my 3080Ti.
Haha ludicrous..i love that word. I just bought and build my pc for 1 year ago when my cpu was still on the top list of cpu and gpu. Now it just feels like a atari :D
Its not slow or anything but how fast new hardware was released after i bought my pc was like ludicrous. :D
I might need a new psu. I got a seasonic 1000 w premium but it dont have that new power port for the 4090.
I might buy a radeon card to avoid any melting problems.

200.gif

what advil said and your psu should be fine, its practically new.

Last edited:
I didn't even see the power supply question.

Bit of a LOL at that one man... you have 1000w Seasonic. That one is easy. You don't need to change that EVER until it dies. Which will probably be 12-15 years. :) (bit of sarcasm maybe not THAT long... but it could be.)

Haha ludicrous..i love that word. I just bought and build my pc for 1 year ago when my cpu was still on the top list of cpu and gpu. Now it just feels like a atari :D
Its not slow or anything but how fast new hardware was released after i bought my pc was like ludicrous. :D
I might need a new psu. I got a seasonic 1000 w premium but it dont have that new power port for the 4090.
I might buy a radeon card to avoid any melting problems.
Seasonic offers the 16pin cable so you can go straight from the PSU to the GPU. you just have to make sure the plug at the GPU is fully seated as it looks like most of the melting is from not fully seating the plug.
https://seasonic.com/12vhpwr-cable

1669944407540.png

Oh, they were offering the cable for free to people with 1000watt or higher Focus and Prime PSU's, but the promo ended. :(
https://seasonic.com/cable-request/
1669944622694.png

Last edited:
Why that monitor? For that price, especially if you are primarily gaming on MMORPG's, I'd suggest the LG 42" C2. The size difference between a 27" display and a 42" is also fairly significant.
The LG C2 is glorious @ 120hz playing 4K games. Your CPU also has plenty enough chutzpah to handle 4K gaming.

Last edited:
I'm 100% with Supercharged on this one. I have the CX48 from long before the C2 42" became available and I love it. Can't imagine any monitor lover not being head over heels in love with a LG C2 42". 4k, GSYNC, 120hz, OLED, all at the same time. No problem. And it's only 42" so not so huge you need 3+ foot deep desk like I use for the 48".

The only thing you're giving up is 165hz for 120hz. You gain 4k at the same price. Both screens are $1000. It's ALSO a completely functional TV with DolbyVision support. (If I'm wrong there someone correct me)

I didn't even see the power supply question.

Bit of a LOL at that one man... you have 1000w Seasonic. That one is easy. You don't need to change that EVER until it dies. Which will probably be 12-15 years. :) (bit of sarcasm maybe not THAT long... but it could be.)
Thats why i choose seasonic :D
Its the best psu brand i had ever.
And ther support is great.

Seasonic offers the 16pin cable so you can go straight from the PSU to the GPU. you just have to make sure the plug at the GPU is fully seated as it looks like most of the melting is from not fully seating the plug.
https://seasonic.com/12vhpwr-cable

View attachment 531023

Oh, they were offering the cable for free to people with 1000watt or higher Focus and Prime PSU's, but the promo ended. :(
https://seasonic.com/cable-request/
View attachment 531032
Dammit..i missed that..well thanks for the hint :D
Now i know i also can buy these cables at ther shop.
But i will prolly end up buying form cablemod since i want to colour my cables to fit my case modding.

Why that monitor? For that price, especially if you are primarily gaming on MMORPG's, I'd suggest the LG 42" C2. The size difference between a 27" display and a 42" is also fairly significant.
The LG C2 is glorious @ 120hz playing 4K games. Your CPU also has plenty enough chutzpah to handle 4K gaming.
I dont like monitors that huge or above 27"
Feels like a console gaming thing. But thanks for the link :)
I realy wanted a 4k monitor but i hat ethe haloing effect or what they call it.
So my plan was to wait until enough leds was increased on these. I think they are on 576-zone Mini LED backlight now.

I'm 100% with Supercharged on this one. I have the CX48 from long before the C2 42" became available and I love it. Can't imagine any monitor lover not being head over heels in love with a LG C2 42". 4k, GSYNC, 120hz, OLED, all at the same time. No problem. And it's only 42" so not so huge you need 3+ foot deep desk like I use for the 48".

The only thing you're giving up is 165hz for 120hz. You gain 4k at the same price. Both screens are $1000. It's ALSO a completely functional TV with DolbyVision support. (If I'm wrong there someone correct me)
Sounds like a great monitor but its would be to huge for me, since i grew up with 27" and allways found these the best size monitors.
I also have plastered some nanolife panels behind my monitor wall. so they would be blocked out form a huge monitor :D

At 1920x1080 resolution you are bottlenecked by your CPU. Doesn't mean you won't get insane FPS at that resolution with a 3080 Ti or 4090, though. The performance gap to a lower tier card will just be much smaller than if you ran at UHD 4K resolution.

Sounds like a great monitor but its would be to huge for me, since i grew up with 27" and allways found these the best size monitors.
I also have plastered some nanolife panels behind my monitor wall. so they would be blocked out form a huge monitor :D
What about one of the Alienware 34" OLED's? they are the same height as a 27" but around 33% wider. 3440x1440p resolution and 175 and 165Hz.
I get great frame rates with my 5900X and 3080Ti.
IMG_3310.JPEG

What about one of the Alienware 34" OLED's? they are the same height as a 27" but around 33% wider. 3440x1440p resolution and 175 and 165Hz.
I get great frame rates with my 5900X and 3080Ti.
View attachment 531228
Curvy monitor :)
I like em flat or normal. Im still looking on that 2k monitor from LG
But im also looking on this https://pcmonitors.info/acer/acer-x27-s-160hz-4k-ips-with-576-zone-mini-led-backlight/
But i cant find anything on it beside this site. Its like it just was forgotten

That was proven to be user error, so as long as the connector is plugged in fully you'll be fine. Also I use an LG C2 42" as my 4k monitor and love it with my 4090.
Im sure its a fine monitor/tv but still its to huge for me :D
They say a 24" is best since you have a to big monitor to watch ur targets on.
thats why the pro players play on a small monitor i guess.

What keyboard is that? Is that monitoring lcd part of that keyboard? If so that is wicked.
It's a Logitech G815 and that little screen is a Corsair iCue Nexus touch screen sitting on it. It shows my PC stats.
IMG_2194.JPEG

You get used to the increased size quickly. Obviously, going from a 27" to a 48" would seem daunting at first and it would take some getting used to, but you could do it. The 34" as stated above would be a good transition. If you are happy with smaller monitors I sort of urge people to stay there. Once you get into these larger displays and learn about the technology, you are never happy and you are always spending money on monitors.

It wasn't long ago that 4k 60Hz was htf for gaming, now a cheap T.V. can do that on HDMI, FSR 1.0 on my 3070/ vram is my biggest bottleneck!

Back