Blizzard Declares That Diablo IV Has Gone Gold, Releases Gameplay Guide Video Series

While I am excited about D4 in general (but not where Blizzard as a company has gone), games going "gold" has lost its meaning for me in the face of gigantic day 0 patches to fix game breaking bugs present at launch.

Not trying to be a snarky post or make jabs at anything (I am not qualified to make an informed opinion on the game development industry and really don't mind the biggish patches as a gamer) -- but the relevance of the term today seems to really have no significance anymore.

I would have hoped that "gone gold" would have meant that the release of D4 was imminent. That, however, is not the case. There will be one more BETA test in the middle of next month and then the same projected June release appears to be the release date.

Gone Gold means they're still bug hunting, but the game is in a state where they can sell your a broken copy pressed into DVD's for those that actually pay for the Physical Media. I think only the collectors edition contains physical media for PC. The only editions of the game that have physical media are Consoles.

There will be a day 0 patch and a nearly complete rebuild of the game right before launch.

I would have hoped that "gone gold" would have meant that the release of D4 was imminent. That, however, is not the case. There will be one more BETA test in the middle of next month and then the same projected June release appears to be the release date.

Gone Gold means they're still bug hunting, but the game is in a state where they can sell your a broken copy pressed into DVD's for those that actually pay for the Physical Media. I think only the collectors edition contains physical media for PC. The only editions of the game that have physical media are Consoles.

There will be a day 0 patch and a nearly complete rebuild of the game right before launch.
Don't almost all physical copies for console games just run an installer that still downloads almost the entire game?

Don't almost all physical copies for console games just run an installer that still downloads almost the entire game?
No. You can play most Xbox/PS5 games without internet. Well the switch does cause companies are too cheap to buy bigger carts. So you only get part of the game.

Free mobile games ≠ $70+ PC/console game. C'mon, man!

Would like to know who said this wland what their source is. I've followed pretty much everything on this game since rumors started and have never seen anything official on that.

Same here. A bit more, but yeah. I just want to decompress and enjoy a franchise I've been playing since I was in middle school on a PIII 333MHz.

The current state of D3 is pretty amazing. It is not recognizable to where it was at launch. I would give it another chance.
Ok, I'll try it again after I get finished replaying Dying Light 2

I mean i imagine there is still a lot of testing and development that can still happen between going gold and launch day so i dont mind zero day patches. Id prefer it just worked 100% but i know how project managers get so i understand the moving goal posts.

Back