BIOS CPU temperature is negative?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day,

Today I was fiddling around with my PC and noticed the temperatures in HWMonitor were really damn high. Then I noticed the fan wasn't speeding up, it was permenantly at 1000rpm regardless of temperature.

I had a look in the BIOS and noticed the CPU temperature was totally screwed up, it was reading negative and completely random (one time -99, another -79, another -49, etc).

I figure the incorrect temperature reading in the BIOS is meaning the mobo thinks the CPU is freezing so the fan just runs slow, even though its actually cooking (HWMonitor appears to have correct temperatures).

Right now I've just turned off the auto control on the fan and its running maxed out, but this is stupidly noisy.

Anyone know how to get the BIOS reading the correct temperature or get my CPU fan working properly again?

System:
i5 750 @ stock
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
ATI 4870 512mb
WD Cavier Black 1TB HDD
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD
4GB DDR3 1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws
600W Coolermaster SilentProM

Any ideas? This fan noise is driving me crazy.

UPDATE: I just realised that the CPU temperature in the BIOS changes everytime I reload and save the BIOS. Started at -39, dropped to -79, then to -99, then to -119, then it went to +117, then to +97, then to +77. The last one actually gave me the correct temperature when viewed in M.I.T tweaker thingo, but when viewed in "PC Health Status" it was still at 77, and still not properly adjusting the fan (now the fan is on max even when set to auto, I assume because it's reading an absurdly high temperature).

Any idea what the heck is going on? This is pretty frustrating. I updated the BIOS from F4 to F6 and its still not working.

Last edited:
could be faulty mobo. doubt its cpu if various programs appear to be reading temps properly

i5 750 / Gigabyte P55 UD5 - Bios F8

My gigabyte bios reads negative and weird temps under the right conditions (stock volts/clock, speedstep etc enabled, low ambient temp). It seems to have poor accuracy below about 18c. For example, it shows the following steps: -1c, 1c, 2c, 3c, 4c, 5c, 12c, 13c, 14c, 17c, 18c, 19c, 20c, 21c etc. Each of those represent 1c increase in actual temperature.

Due to my need for cpu fan speed control, I now use speedfan. It requires configuring to work with the gigabyte sensor, explained here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56770#492638

looks like its a bad sensor.. but keep an eye out for a bios update if its actually a problem with the bios and not the board.. some one might want to shoot gigabyte an email see if they can look into the problem..

The BIOS temperatures are incorrect, since they use a sensor on the motherboard which has no relation to the actual CPU core temperature. Download Real Temp and use that to monitor your CPU's temperatures.

lol if your cpu was +117 it wouldve shut off instantly due to fried cpu. It has to be a bad thermal sensor

When I got my Q9550 my BIOS kept saying my CPU temp was 117C. In windows it says 40C.
I am pretty sure it has to do with the BIOS not being new enough to recognize these newer processors.
Not sure what to say about your situation though.

596-5966936_necro-posting-thread-necromancer-post-necromancer-hd-png.jpg

Back