Best for the money firewall providers ? (small office) (10-20 users) (4 offices)

IAmForum

Weaksauce
I presently have Fortigates 60e (1) & 80e (3).
Being that the company let all the firewalls subscriptions expire 2 years ago, I am trying to get everything renewed.
Fortigate said they backdate renewals 6 months. I would have to pay 2k for each device to have 18 months of support.

I was wondering if I would be better of buying a new device for each office and getting 1 year of support.
(from a different firewall provider)
Meraki / Sonicwall / etc

8k for support on 4 old devices seems pretty steep to me.

2K per?? What license are you buying for Fortigates and what features are you actually using? What woud 4x new 60F cost? Checkpoint would a vendor to consider that is in the same class as they have some nice small business devices. PA also, though pricing will be higher. Meraki and Sonicwall not so much.

Last edited:
Understand I am asking this because the lics have been expired for 2 years and no has complained. This leads me to think you aren't actually using most of the features. What features are you actually using in your policies? I googled for pricing and 2K for 24 months (24-6=18) UTP lic seems way high. For reference:

https://www.firewalls.com/fortinet-...iltering-and-antispam-fortisandbox-cloud.html

That link is for the UTP software lic, fc-10-0060F-950-02-12, you'd need 2 for the 18 months and does not include hardware.

Last edited:
Claims to be 12% off msrp. Many resellers and even Fortinet will discount and 12% isn't huge. To be clear you're going to need 2 per device for your desired 18 months of coverage. You would also need whichever hardware coverage, they have several options, fits your needs. I still question your license requirements/needs. What features are actually in place today? I am asking this because if you have the policies built correctly without licensing or expired lics some things, e.g. web filtering, will fail closed meaning traffic stops passing if the feature is in use. You might be able to get by with an even cheaper license. Please note I don't work for Fortinet but I am the forti-sme at work.

I'll point out that that same site has 60F, should be on par with an 80E so 4x 60F, with 3 year (no backdating) UTP lics for basically 2150 per. I would highly encourage shopping that around with your local var/rep/reseller/online vendor of choice.

Last edited:
Back