Best compact telephoto for Canon APSC?

jamsomito

2[H]4U
My wife's brother is a Senior in the Michigan Marching Band this year and I wanted to get some good pictures of him in uniform at games. The problem is, they won't let any camera lenses longer than 6 inches into the stadium. I'm speculating it has something to do with rights to the players/ publicity of the events, but I'm not totally sure. Maybe it's just the club factor if you were to hit someone with it. The same rule applies to the commencement ceremony in the stadium too. Anyway, I own a 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM, but it's too big to bring in.

I'm looking at renting either the 70-300 IS DO, or the 55-250 IS STM just for this event. According to Christopher Frost on youtube, the 55-250 is fantastic, but the 70-300 doesn't have the best image quality. The 55-250 may be pushing the length limit, but it doesn't look like a "pro" level lens, so I could probably get away with it. Can anyone recommend one of these lenses, or a different one that I should consider? The subject will be about 250-300 feet away.

You could always use a teleconverter with a shorter lens to get the reach you want.

What other lenses do you own?

Other lenses:

17-55 f/2.8 IS USM
10-18 IS STM
50 f/1.8

And I just remembered I have the 75-300 (non-IS, non-USM) that has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

I do have access to a 1.4 extender I can borrow too.

No lenses over 6 inches has got to be one of the dumbest photo-related venue rules I've ever heard. Obviously trying to keep people from getting photos that are better than the paid photog they hire to document the events, but still seems like an insanely nitpicking regulation to try to enforce. And if it's for security reasons, that's even more stupid... for so many reasons I'm not even going to start.

...but yeah, the 75-300 sounds like a good option, as long as it's not too long to get past security. The key to getting good photos in a situation like this is to get as close as you can to the action. Even with a much larger telephoto, you're still not likely to get good shots from the nose-bleeds.

I know. I'm really not happy with the rules either. But, whatcha gonna do?

I was hoping for something with better IQ than the 75-300, but I can use it if need be. I should be able to get some good pics with just 200-300mm of focal length. They sell seats specifically for family of the band that are directly across from them, from rows 1-5 (field level). It's a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_70_300mm_f_4_5_6l_is_usm

Maybe that instead of the DO. I have the DO and the contrast is a bit challenged. It's a very compact lens for sure but I debate often getting rid of it and getting the lens above or something else. If you were budget conscious then perhaps the 70-300 non L IS lens would do the trick. The DO is really for someone who must have compactness over all else, which may be you given the description. But the 70-300's come in at 5.6" when closed which fits the requirement.

DO lens is good, just not "great". It is incredibly compact which has it's usefulness for sure.

You could always use a teleconverter with a shorter lens to get the reach you want.

What other lenses do you own?

I would never use a teleconverter on a lens that is shorter than 200mm. A 70-200 f/2.8 is almost good with a 1.4. 200 f/2.0 is still usable with a 2X. 300 2.8, 1.7x at best. And the 400 2.8 is still good with a 2X.
Not shooting Canon anymore, so it's possible that there is a new teleconverter that is better.

Back