Bendgate reflections

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
Now that were a couple of years on after the introduction of LGA 1700, what are your reflections and experiences from Intel's rectangular shaped CPUs in regards to temps and the heatsink mount holding up? Were the concerns over bending and uneven mounting pressure overblown? How have the thermals held up vs your past CPUs before it? Are y'all still buying those support brackets for your new builds? I'm really curious how this all ended up shaking out.

I used a 12600K for a year and a half or so, switched to a 14700K in January. Haven't seen any bending issues so far, and never got around to using a support thing, FWIW.

I used a 12600K for a year and a half or so, switched to a 14700K in January. Haven't seen any bending issues so far, and never got around to using a support thing, FWIW.
Same here, except over two years with a 12600K. Was always planning on upgrading it but haven't had the need to. No support Bracket, she is as flat as possible as it is to measure.

Could be like these new reports of "faulty" 14700K and 14900K's where the vocal minorities are causing a larger issue, creating a market for something that possibly didn't need to exist? (pure conjecture) Like "cablegate" (12VHPWR) and the fun cablemod has been having with their adapters. We had rabid fanboys and enthusiasts trying to throw money at them to release the things, now they are being attacked and ridiculed for it.

Some motherboards flexed more than others.

From what I've seen, there is generally a 1-3 degree improvement, even in situations where it seems like its not needed. AM5 included.
I build ITX, so I am always doing all the little tweaks to squeeze out an extra couple degrees. I put contact plates on 3 different Intel mobos, and on my current AMD AM5 mobo.

Its a risk, though. As it requires you to have your CPU socket exposed for an extended amount of time, to do the install. Lots of opportunity to drop something on the socket.

Back