Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

The mods that allows for it are kinda weird. They work...but they aren't the best. It's kinda like they partially ported the gamepad scheme over. Plus, activating mods in this game is a bit of an ordeal.
IMO, the gamepad scheme is actually way better than then KB/M one. I use it roughly 75-85% of the time. Yet it's horrendous for inventory management. Especially if you use backpacks and bags. Some functions (like learning spells from scrolls) also just flat-out don't work, while if you swap over to KB/M they work fine. If they could port over the same KB/M menus to the pad side or vice versa with gamepad movement and KB/M we'd all be better off.
I just recently noticed you can use (I THINK) "L2" to do multi select. That helps tremendously. Also your companions can equip items held by other companions, so if I get a sweet new item that I want on a companion I just press X on the item slot and it shows every piece of gear that can go there, even gear equipped by other companions.
I hear ya though. I have launched the game on my monitor a few times just to sort out inventory and figure out what I want to sell. Think I am gonna start throwing sell items into a separate backpack.

like learning spells from scrolls
You can learn spells from scrolls?? I dont have any spellcasters in my group except for a Cleric, havent messed with spells or scrolls a ton.

You can learn spells from scrolls?? I dont have any spellcasters in my group except for a Cleric, havent messed with spells or scrolls a ton.

Yup, mages can. So of your companions, Gale is the only one. Sorcerers, clerics, druids, etc. gain new spells after leveling up. Scrolls are the main things I spend my money on and you can get some pretty mean spells that way. You can get access to Cloud of Daggers and Fireball relatively early and both of those are beastly spells vs. groups of enemies.

Yup, mages can. So of your companions, Gale is the only one. Sorcerers, clerics, druids, etc. gain new spells after leveling up. Scrolls are the main things I spend my money on and you can get some pretty mean spells that way. You can get access to Cloud of Daggers and Fireball relatively early and both of those are beastly spells vs. groups of enemies.
I think I accidentally killed Gale at the beginning... lol. I hit every inch of the map and never got him, must have killed him.

I am 50hrs in before I realized how the hell you multi class.

If anyone else is on Casual for their first playthrough....you gotta change the difficulty to Normal/Medium *facepalm*

I am 50hrs in before I realized how the hell you multi class.

If anyone else is on Casual for their first playthrough....you gotta change the difficulty to Normal/Medium *facepalm*
Once I made Asterion a Fighter/Rogue, he started absolutely obliterating people.

I think I accidentally killed Gale at the beginning... lol. I hit every inch of the map and never got him, must have killed him.

He's trapped in a waypoint super close the beginning of the game. Just a little bit above of the crashed ship. You can pull him free, but I'm guessing you can probably also fight him or leave him trapped, too. It's worth circling back and seeing if you can still get him. Wyll covers a lot of the same bases, so it isn't the end of the world if you can't get him. You can still use scrolls as a single-use item, but that's not usually the most cost-effective approach.

He's trapped in a waypoint super close the beginning of the game. Just a little bit above of the crashed ship. You can pull him free, but I'm guessing you can probably also fight him or leave him trapped, too. It's worth circling back and seeing if you can still get him. Wyll covers a lot of the same bases, so it isn't the end of the world if you can't get him. You can still use scrolls as a single-use item, but that's not usually the most cost-effective approach.

My team consists of Shadowheart, Laezel, Asterion, and my character which is a Barbarian. Honestly, the game is pretty easy even without having a huge magic user that dishes out damage with AOE and such.

I can tell im nearing the end of the story and I'm already wanting more. I want to go to neverwinter, waterdeep, icewind dale..

This game seems to be following the path of the original BG vs. BG2 thus far. Very dense, but it's not like you're covering all that much ground in the grand scheme of the things. Almost like an extended introduction. It was BG2/ToB (and the Icewind Dale titles) where things went full-on epic and it felt like you were truly on a world-changing journey.

Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about. FFS ~140gb though? Yeesh.

Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about. FFS ~140gb though? Yeesh.
eh, it's not that big by today's standards. most 'cinematic' type games with lots of content are in that 80-120gb territory now

i desperately need to upgrade my 1.5tb of total storage. ffs, MS Flight Sim with all the free updates installed is literally like 320gb or some shit

gate.jpg

Reactions: w35t
like this
eh, it's not that big by today's standards. most 'cinematic' type games with lots of content are in that 80-120gb territory now

i desperately need to upgrade my 1.5tb of total storage. ffs, MS Flight Sim with all the free updates installed is literally like 320gb or some shit
320?! Wtf lol

From the FTC leak. In discussing possible Game Pass partners, Microsoft called Baldur's Gate 3 a "second-run Stadia PC RPG" (also Red Dead Redemption 2 remaster spotted).

1695141617073.png

Microsoft has no idea what to do with or in the gaming market, practically every studio they own or have bought has fallen into a cycle of poor and bug ridden releases. Halo, Gears of War, Rare, etc.

Honestly, for me microsoft is right next to EA for having a touch of death, not expecting much out of Zenimax or Activision under the microsoft banner.

Microsoft has no idea what to do with or in the gaming market, practically every studio they own or have bought has fallen into a cycle of poor and bug ridden releases. Halo, Gears of War, Rare, etc.

Honestly, for me microsoft is right next to EA for having a touch of death, not expecting much out of Zenimax or Activision under the microsoft banner.
That’s what I was saying. People excited about the Activision Blizzard acquisition are delusional. I expect the downward trend on all properties to continue. Just now exclusively on Microsoft platforms after any share agreements run out.

Cool was wondering what the patch was for cosmetics. When I get around to playing it more that is.

As I am very new to the series, and only maybe 6? hours into the game, i feel I may be "rushing" it too much and treating it like Diablo....Any good sites for guides for newbs on suggested levels and such to be at before going to specific areas? I am getting my party killed with 1 hits some times in some battles..... :D

My main and the party are all level 3
MrG-BG3-01.PNG

As I am very new to the series, and only maybe 6? hours into the game, i feel I may be "rushing" it too much and treating it like Diablo....Any good sites for guides for newbs on suggested levels and such to be at before going to specific areas? I am getting my party killed with 1 hits some times in some battles..... :D

My main and the party are all level 3
View attachment 600805
The pacing for BG3 is unusual. It feels like it could work as a quicker action-style RPG, but the world is super dense. There's something in almost every single nook of the map. The random rolls affect the game in huge ways, too. Depending on how you want to approach things, you can save/reload a lot or you can just (literally) roll with things as-is. Depending on how aggressive you want to play, bad rolls can often force you into a lot of big ass fights. There aren't a whole lot of fights good rolls push you into and they can help you totally avoid a lot of fights if you want. You can more or less just proceed forward without worrying about your levels, BUT I will caution you that the whole subplot with the Hag can be pretty tough if you're less than level 5.

Early on, your crew is probably going to go down a lot. That's normal. You have minimal HP. I usually just let them stay down since it takes a full turn for them to get revived so they can do anything worthwhile. Either that or I have one character that's pretty much just dedicated to healing and dealing with downed people. Shadowheart fits that mold for the first 1/2 of the game. Later, you'll definitely want your whole crew up and operational since they're all able to do big damage. I usually rock my main (rogue), Shdowheart, Gale, and Wynn. Having 2 characters with damage dealing spells = strong, although you do have to rest more to get those spells back. Cloud of Daggers is a spell that's strong as hell when you get it (fairly early) and it keeps getting better, so that's a good one to have. Fireball, too. Having strong melee combat is nice, and both rogues (especially with 2 weapons) and fighters work well. The catch is that you often get into fights with like 10-12 enemies at once and spellcasters are better at dealing with that.

Evil Dark Urge playthru started. Act 1. Killed Wyll, lol. Pissed Karlach off and she bolted. Halsin was eaten by worgs. It's awesome.

For what it's worth, it seems like being evil isn't so bad in BG3. Hell, it might even be the easiest route to take once you gain a couple levels and aren't super weak. You're basically able to fight and kill almost anything/anyone and are constantly getting XP for it. The best gear I've found (I'm at the end of chapter 3) has either been purchased or looted from dead bodies. You might miss out on some side plots, but not that many.

I struggle (for reasons which are not clear to me) with being evil in these games. I know they are made up pixels and numbers. I still feel like crud when I do something shitty. To made up pixels and numbers.

I only succeeded on the evil path once. KOTOR2. I will try with BG3, if I have time. I suspect I will fail, because they talk more, and I will relent.

Most games severely punish you for being evil...which I understand considering it typically screws with most plot narratives. With BG3, the plot is basically "I have this tadpole in my brain and I need to do something about it," going on a murderous rampage doesn't have to affect that. The devs seem to have placed evil (or at least asshole'ish) dialogue options all over the place, too.
I've been playing a mostly good but ambitious/greedy character and think I might replay the game as a straight up chaotic evil asshole down the line.

I struggle (for reasons which are not clear to me) with being evil in these games. I know they are made up pixels and numbers. I still feel like crud when I do something shitty. To made up pixels and numbers.

I only succeeded on the evil path once. KOTOR2. I will try with BG3, if I have time. I suspect I will fail, because they talk more, and I will relent.

I'm with you...I have wanted to try it but I also find it a challenge to be a dick (to good people) when given the option

I'm with you...I have wanted to try it but I also find it a challenge to be a dick (to good people) when given the option

I don't let them be good first, I just have been killing them. The game has actually replaced NPC's I killed that had later parts in the game with another NPC.

I don't let them be good first, I just have been killing them. The game has actually replaced NPC's I killed that had later parts in the game with another NPC.
Clever way to give the player full agency over their actions without ruining or eliminating parts of the story.

Back