Bad sectors in HDD?

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
I have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (ACHI, SATA) that shows errors in HD Tune full error scan

U4M6QsV.jpg

It also shows some warnings

lIKEm9n.jpg

The HDD is currently empty. Just in case, I've replaced the SATA cable and port, but still I get the same "Interface CRC Error Count".

It's been a long time since I have to deal with bad sectors, so what should I do?
Would Seagate RMA a drive that has some bad sectors?

Yeah, they should RMA it when the pending sector count ratchets up.

Would Seagate RMA a drive that has some bad sectors?

I do not believe they care so much. You will get back a refurbished drive that is different than the one you send in.

Ok, I did a full format (Win7 x 64 btw) and then an error scan, here are the results

ae7M87i.jpg

mesTAwA.jpg

So, is this an improvement?

Yes, but the problem hasnt necessarily gone away, the results can be masked temporarily.
Bad sectors dont often remain static, they grow into neighboring areas, so genuine ones dont improve.
Watch to see if the CRC count still increases or if the pending sector counts changes.
Its a risk putting data on a faulty drive, make sure anything valuable is backed up.

It is possible that a bad sector is due to a faulty write caused by a power issue or bad connection.
This isnt a real fault on the drive but looks like one because the data or format is corrupt.
See how it goes.

The reallocated sector count is still zero, that is a good sign. A drive can get bad sectors if a sudden power loss occurs during a write. The CRC error count is cummulative, it will not go away, only increase.

see that cyan bar you got there? That is reason to replace the drive

I have another one 1TB Seagate Barracuda (it's broder)
and its also showing some warnings, did a full format, then an error scan and the scan turn out clean, but...

DjGnuMK.jpg

Hahaha, This doesn't look good! Guess I have to start thinking about changing those drives :eek:

Back