Backup software options and pricing

boss6021

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, i'm looking for backup software for 2 servers and up to 20 workstations. The servers are virtualized with a Hyper-V host. We are considering using Kaseya for managed services, and they have Acronis backup included for an extra 300 a month. Does anyone here have some insight on pricing/performance? I have used Acronis and Symantec System Recovery.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Microsoft has DPM that integrates pretty well with Hyper-V......

I agree Veeam or Vranger for your virtualized servers, they are great solutions and affordable as well, I would also concur with the advice to stay far away from Acronis.

We are looking at AppAssure at work and it is extremely awesome. You put the client on each vm / machine you want to backup. It will take a full snapshot of the drives you select and it will then take incremental snap shots of what changes on the machine. You can set the how often snapshots will be taken from 15 min to 1 day depending on how often you want changes to be recoverable from.
It then it rolls up the past points into hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly snapshots. If you have enough storage, you can have backups from a year ago if you want.
It also includes replication for backing up servers / data offsite at no extra cost.
There are a lot of other neat things it does, but the above are the best ones imo
One downside, it is expensive. However they have different ways of licensing it depending on how you want to do it.

And whatever you do, do not go with ArcServe. Their backup software is terrible and the support is horrendous.

A couple of questions I have about your setup that will help with giving you a good suggestion.

2 Servers that are virtualized on a Hyper-V host.
What type of servers are these?
What are you wanting to be able to restore from them? (Like how granular, file level, just server level, or what?)
How much data are you backing up from them?
What are you wanting to backup to?
How often and how long do you want to keep the backups?

About your 20 or so workstations:
What are you looking to backup from them?
About how much data per workstation roughly?
Are you going to have laptops that you want to backup that are going outside of the local office?
Are they all Windows workstations?

I don't like backup software that requires agents, pretty hard to get away from in the Windows world however neither Veeam or Vranger require agents and both can do incremental backups that roll forward as well as file level restores.

A couple of questions I have about your setup that will help with giving you a good suggestion.

2 Servers that are virtualized on a Hyper-V host.
What type of servers are these?
What are you wanting to be able to restore from them? (Like how granular, file level, just server level, or what?)
How much data are you backing up from them?
What are you wanting to backup to?
How often and how long do you want to keep the backups?

About your 20 or so workstations:
What are you looking to backup from them?
About how much data per workstation roughly?
Are you going to have laptops that you want to backup that are going outside of the local office?
Are they all Windows workstations?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have been on vacation.

One server is a Windows Small Business Server 2008 R2 DC with Exchange 2010 and some company shares. The second is a Windows Small Business Server SDC that has a small company database and serves FTP access to remote users.

Most of this scenario is hypothetical, but we do have a client with a similar setup.

I would be looking to do both file level recovery in the event of a deletion and "bare metal" recovery in the event of a disaster.

Currently an external eSATA drive is the backup medium, and is swapped daily. I would like to keep the backups for at least 2 weeks to a month depending on client needs. The backups currently are around 400 - 500 GB.

I'm looking for the same type of backups on the workstations. They are all Windows 7 based. Roughly the backups would be 40-75 GB each. They use a separate NAS for these backups as they are less critical. They do have remote employees with laptops, so having the option to back them up the same way would be great, but not absolutely necessary.

I'm also looking for good managed service software solutions. Currently, I have looked at Autotask GFI, Labtech, Kaseya, Spiceworks, and N-able. So far, Kaseya is leaps and bounds better, but expensive. Any insight?

Once again, thank you so much for any input.

Back