Audio drop outs with 7900 XTX

silentcircuit

Limp Gawd
Sound normally works, but every now and then there will be a series of drops. Very distracting when it happens. I've tried several HDMI cables, all of which work without issue using the RTX 2080 the Radeon replaced (now in another computer).

This is a Sapphire Pulse card, not that I imagine that's relevant here.

Fresh install of Windows 11 Pro fully updated, all drivers updated. New 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 I Pro WiFi motherboard, BIOS is current. OS is on a 2TB WD850X.

Seems to be a known issue. Most are using DP to HDMI cables or adapters to get around it, but I'm concerned there will be issues with Freesync and HDR via an adapter.

Has anyone here run in to this problem? What was the fix?

Last edited:
drivers up to date? whats it hooked up to thats dropping the audio?
re adapters, yes theyll lose FS and HDR

Drivers up to date, yes. Latest BIOS. Ryzen Master installed but I haven't messed with it.

YouTube via Edge, VLC, games, all audio is affected. It's intermittent - sometimes multiple times in a few minutes, sometimes fine for an hour or more. This mirrors what I've seen others describe.

TV is a LG OLED65B9PUA

Drivers up to date, yes. Latest BIOS. Ryzen Master installed but I haven't messed with it.

YouTube via Edge, VLC, games, all audio is affected. It's intermittent - sometimes multiple times in a few minutes, sometimes fine for an hour or more. This mirrors what I've seen others describe.

TV is a LG OLED65B9PUA
tv up to date?
does it do it on all bit rates/formats in sound settings?

tv up to date?
does it do it on all bit rates/formats in sound settings?
TV is up to date. Haven't tried changing bit rate, it's just at DVD quality or whatever, never been an issue before.

I did disable sound enhancements or whatever it's called. Didn't help.

Buy a sound card and feed it through "Stereo Mix" to your HDMI audio.. ??

That's the best idea I've got atm

EDIT: Better yet, disable Stereo Mix as an output and see what happens. (might explain the echoes)

oh no you really can't stop having issues, sorry I have no clue I don't use the audio out on mine. I'm not sure I can even try it but I'll see if I can come up with a test scenario.

oh no you really can't stop having issues, sorry I have no clue I don't use the audio out on mine. I'm not sure I can even try it but I'll see if I can come up with a test scenario.
It's been such a shit show. If I wasn't going to take a hit on restocking I'd have already returned the card. I've never had so many issues with such basic upgrades. This whole setup just doesn't want to work, and I don't get why.

Example: first couple versions of Adrenaline drivers I ran, no problem. This last time I tried to update via the button in the utility instead of downloading the installer from AMD's site - something I've done regularly via Nvidia's software, and never had an issue.

Install goes fine, but now Adrenaline won't start. Card still works, but I can't change any driver settings and the AMD overlay and monitoring stuff doesn't work; it's all there, the tray icon even shows up on restart, but if you try to get it to do anything it just crashes silently. A quick Google search shows this is not a first.

So I try to do a fresh install, as what I've found suggests, but the "factory reset" option in the installer is grayed out. Apparently this is intended as it can "break Windows" - so why is the check box there at all, AMD? I used DDU as many posts from others with the same issue suggested. It didn't fix it. Exact same behavior after DDU clean and install with freshly downloaded installer from AMD.

I'm ready to tear my hair out. If I'd had any idea how much of a pain this would be I just would have bought a damn 4090.

Last edited:
Buy a sound card and feed it through "Stereo Mix" to your HDMI audio.. ??

That's the best idea I've got atm

EDIT: Better yet, disable Stereo Mix as an output and see what happens. (might explain the echoes)
I don't have any echoes, just drop outs (complete silence) usually lasting about 1-2 seconds each. They tend to come in groups, 2 or 3 fairly close together, then it'll be fine for a while, sometimes as much as an hour, to the point I think it has solved itself.

I could run a USB sound card or send sound out to a DAC via the onboard sound digital out, but I've effectively been using my TV as the mixer - everything feeds in to it via HDMI and comes out via optical to a MiniDSP DDRC24 DAC running Dirac Live for room correction, connected to a pair of JBL 305P Mk2 powered monitors. The TV remote controls volume by sending the DDRC24 IR commands.

If I switch to another output on the PC that will complicate the remote situation, which isn't a big deal to me, but my girlfriend doesn't want to deal with it, and it will inevitably confuse guests. How I have it now is, at least to the end user, very simple. It also worked flawlessly for years with the 2080 - swapping GPUs and CPUs shouldn't have affected any of this!

I'm going to try an optical splitter, run the sound out of the PC via SPDIF instead of HDMI, and just have the computer bypass the TV entirely (which is currently acting as a pass-through/mixer between the computer and DAC/speakers). It's not ideal but it gets the card out of the audio path.

The bigger issue is that this just shouldn't be happening - it's a clean install with fairly modern hardware that showed zero issues with the previous card in the exact same configuration. And it's not my kind of odd audio routing causing it, as many who are just using their TV speakers are having the exact same problem.

Last edited:
I have a similar setup with an LG TV and 7900 xtx. I believe it's an issue with the TV. Audio is fine when it's directly hooked to the AV receiver. The TV seems to have issues using HDMI audio in and ARC at the same time.

I have a similar setup with an LG TV and 7900 xtx. I believe it's an issue with the TV. Audio is fine when it's directly hooked to the AV receiver. The TV seems to have issues using HDMI audio in and ARC at the same time.
I'm running audio in to the TV via HDMI and out via SPDIF to a DAC... so it's not using ARC, unless I'm really misunderstanding something. Never had any issues with the RTX 2080 (or a GTX 1070) but have issues with the 7900 XTX. Pretty sure it's an AMD thing, not the TV. The card doesn't handshake properly or something - people are running audio through adapters (or receivers) to get around it, but this will break Freesync and HDR in most cases. That's not a fix, for me.

At this point I really regret giving AMD another chance, this thing has been nothing but frustration and disappointment from the start.

After two days of fiddling I think I've more or less got it running right (other than the sound issue) but it's not nearly as fast as I expected/hoped, especially with raytracing. I knew going in that it would be slower than a 4080 with RT stuff, but it's so much worse than expected.

Sound normally works, but every now and then there will be a series of drops. Very distracting when it happens. I've tried several HDMI cables, all of which work without issue using the RTX 2080 the Radeon replaced (now in another computer).

Fresh install of Windows 11 Pro fully updated, all drivers updated. New 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 I Pro WiFi motherboard, BIOS is current. OS is on a 2TB WD850X.

Seems to be a known issue. Most are using DP to HDMI cables or adapters to get around it, but I'm concerned there will be issues with Freesync and HDR via an adapter.

I've only had Nvidia cards and had this issue on Win 10 towards the end and I think 11 forever - across multiple monitors and GPUs and speakers and entire system builds and OS reinstalls it reoccurs - this is a Windows issue IMO - mouse click the Windows SW volume control @ 100% a couple times real quick will get sound back for me (I'm going DP>Monitor>Line out to soundbar)

1695586063320.png

It never goes out for me when media is playing or anything - just if no media/sound has been playing for a while even with the computer being on and active all the time - no sound next time there should be some

Last edited:

I've seen one or two others complain about this same issue, around the internet. And in response, I have seen suggestions that you need to keep trying different HDMI cables And maybe spending a little more on a cable, than you normally might.

and this cable is one which I have seen specifically cited as fixing this issue:
https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-CAC-1...358-8981-16f498efade8&pd_rd_i=B07H5Y5N55&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would just use a DP to HDMI cable.. personally it should cause issues with HDR or Freesysnc... and it would be good to have one of those cables around anyway they can come in handy?

I use to get audio drops with certain sources on my 65" C9. They just went away eventually. Must of been a TV update or something. :Shrugs:

I would just use a DP to HDMI cable.. personally it should cause issues with HDR or Freesysnc... and it would be good to have one of those cables around anyway they can come in handy?
DP to HDMI is a gamble on whether or not it will work.

Per the Googles, that's an HDMI 2.1 card. In general, I've found HDMI 2.1 and Windows (both 10 and 11) to have issues with drops and certain audio devices. Nvidia acknowledged it and has only just recently begun cleaning up most of their issues in the last couple months. When I submitted bug reports, they kept blaming Windows itself. Wouldn't shock me if AMD cards had similar issues.

I use the cheap but high speed hdmi cable that came with my cheap but high speed and ultra wide ZEdge monitor with my 7900XT GPU and haven’t had that particular issue. I use windows 10. This audio issue is one of many issues that I’ve seen people bring up about AMD gpus which I haven’t personally experienced. My XFX 7900XT has been shockingly stable and great performing. 10/10 would recommend.

Back