ATI 5850 on a NV 570 SLI chipset?

kenpomasta

Gawd
I had got my brother a ATI 5850 for his system. He is running a Abit AN9 32x (nv 590 sli) The system wont post with the 5850, no beeps, just fans turn on. When I put in the old card (8800 GTX) system posts fine. Has anyone had any issues or success with using a 5850 on a nv 5x chipset?

Computer:
Abit AN9 32x
AMD 5000+
4 GB memory
1 750 GB HD
Seasonic 650 watt PSU

It should work. Try it on a different system like SeaFoam suggested. Make sure you plugged in both pcix power connectors :)
You may have gotten a DOA card.

Try updating the motherboard BIOS and of course try what SeaFoam suggested. There really is no reason for the 5850 NOT to work on that board aside from that.

RMA the card if you can't get it working. It should at least post something if it worked.

confirmed that card works in another system. Boots fine. Once its put back into the NV SLI board, it wont post. only the fans on the card and system turn on. no beeps :(

Did lastest bios update also, still no luck. Made sure both of the 6 pin pcie cables are connected.

I wonder if there is a issue with 5850s on a PCIE 1.0 slot. I though PCIe 2.x was backwords compatible, but maybe not.

ATI cards work on my 650i SLI. I'd venture to say yes, it will support a single ATI card (even dual gpu variants like my 4870x2). I'd get verification on the 500 boards though but i'm guessing, yes

Did you make sure both power cables were plugged into the card (I only ask because I've done that before)

He said he already made sure they where both plugged in. I would go with the pcix 2.0 not always being backwards compatible with 1.0. Ive herd it before on my old abit motherboard forums.

After reading the first few posts I too, would think it has to do with the PCI-E 1.0 as well. I can't confirm this, but I remember reading somewhere that PCI-E 1.0 having a max 75 watt load while 2.0 added 150 watts.

EDIT:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/vectors/en/2004_pciexpress?c=us&l=en

The paragraph under figure 5 states this:

The original PCI Express specification defines graphics cards with up to 75 watts of power. In addition, a new high-end PCI Express graphics specification is under development that defines cards of up to 150 watts. These higher power levels accommodate the requirements of graphics adapters, which currently peak at 41 watts for mainstream AGP cards and 110 watts for AGP Pro 110 cards.

Though that max 150w load may be for PCI-E 3.0. Don't know, I'm just throwing this in here. Maybe it will help the OP.

Ive tried pretty much everything, I tried my GTX 285 in it, and it worked fine. Guess its something with the 5850 and PCE1.0. If it wasnt for BFBC2 slow loads, I would have just kept the 285 in it lol. I guess Ill just pick up a cheap AM3 board and be done with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back