Asus 4870 512 w/Stalker Clear Sky $148 shipped AR - warm?

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121290&Tpk=N82E16814121290

Seems pretty warm to me.

EDIT: Top (OC) Edition now on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121288

Edit: for those wondering, while Asus does occasionally offer rebates with a 2 per household limit, this one is apparently one per household.

That makes your total $320-325 for two 4870's in crossfire AR. Not too bad. Still cheaper than most sale prices on the 4870x2, and if you already have one 4870, well here ya go!!

this is pretty [H]ot if you dont mind rebates. Been trying to get one used and best price i as gettign is 150. After i 'gift' the game out I'll have a 4870 for 135ish. That rocks

This would be crazy hot if I hadn't just bought Clear Sky... :) Still looking hot, but I have to keep reminding myself that all my games play well at 16x10 resolution with my 9800gtx right now.

Damn good price, was just going to post about it, but it looks like I got beaten to the punch. ;)

ByteDown[H]ard;1033739008 said:
How do these compare to the 9800 gt 512s?? Worth the upgrade?

Considerably faster. Remember that the 4870 512 is on par (depending on whom you ask) with the original GTX 260 192 core. So how much faster is the GTX 260 192 core than a 9800GT, errr, 8800GT??

And this one has excellent aftermarket cooling. Should be much cooler and quieter than reference cooling, and yield much better overclocks. All my Asus video cards have rocked thus far, and the ones with aftermarket cooling have been considerably better temps/stability-wise than those I've owned that have stock cooling. If you can afford it, it looks like a great buy.

I wish i could get 2 of these and sell my Vision Tek card so I have matching xfire.

how would one get 2 rebates back...

I think the rebate is good for 2. That's the way it was on the 4850 Asus rebate.

The OC'd TOP version is $10 more if you're interested. Same cooler and still comes with Stalker.

man I need to see if I can still return my XFX 4870 which I bought for $200 less than a month ago.

I think the rebate is good for 2. That's the way it was on the 4850 Asus rebate.

The OC'd TOP version is $10 more if you're interested. Same cooler and still comes with Stalker.

I read this one. I know Asus sometimes offers 2 rebates per product per household but this one specifies only one. Guess everyone's making some cutbacks in this economic crunch. :(

Still makes your crossfire setup only about $325 AR. That's still sweet considering they both will have superior aftermarket cooling, which just happens to not block the crossfire bracket!

That's a cool looking heatsink and box. If I wasn't so cheap I would buy one.

I read this one. I know Asus sometimes offers 2 rebates per product per household but this one specifies only one. Guess everyone's making some cutbacks in this economic crunch. :(

Still makes your crossfire setup only about $325 AR. That's still sweet considering they both will have superior aftermarket cooling, which just happens to not block the crossfire bracket!

Use a work/friend's address. :p

is the 1GB version of the 4870 worth spending extra for over the 512MB?

Just bought the DK Top yesterday for 199.99 with the $30 rebate and Stalker CS. :mad:

Think Newegg will refund me the twenty bucks since its only been a day or less since the price drop?

Anyone had any luck trying that with them?

Poop!!!

If the card hasn't arrived yet then the odds are in your favor. When you're chatting with them, if they refuse to credit the $20, politely inform them that you'll be simply refusing the shipment of the higher priced one. It will go back to them, they will have to give you a full refund since the item never has even been opened, and you can purchase the new one now at the discounted price. If you refuse the shipment, I believe you even get refunded the initial shipping cost (correct me, someone, if I'm wrong). UPS is quite kind to them in these matters, but they are still out the small amount it cost them to ship it, plus they're selling one at the new cheaper price anyways. Most of the time if I explain it that way they will simply give me the discount. I've never had them refuse the discount before the shipment arrives. They know I can still refuse it. Be willing to do that if they play hardball and you really want the discount though.

its a good deal if you're looking to buy 1 card..... but for almost the same price as 2 cards you can buy a 4850x2 2gb card which is a better buy ( the 2gb ram really helps ). if these were 1gb cards it would be a different story, but im getting smoother gameplay @ 1920x1200 with my 4850x2 2gb than my old 4870 512mb cards in crossfire. vanilla guerilla on here can vouch for that too he had the same experience i did.

Good think I'm only looking to buy one card :D.

Yep. For you, it's perfect. For someone who has an older 512 version and a crossfire motherboard, it's also perfect. Assuming they have 24" or larger....

If the card hasn't arrived yet then the odds are in your favor. When you're chatting with them, if they refuse to credit the $20, politely inform them that you'll be simply refusing the shipment of the higher priced one. It will go back to them, they will have to give you a full refund since the item never has even been opened, and you can purchase the new one now at the discounted price. If you refuse the shipment, I believe you even get refunded the initial shipping cost (correct me, someone, if I'm wrong). UPS is quite kind to them in these matters, but they are still out the small amount it cost them to ship it, plus they're selling one at the new cheaper price anyways. Most of the time if I explain it that way they will simply give me the discount. I've never had them refuse the discount before the shipment arrives. They know I can still refuse it. Be willing to do that if they play hardball and you really want the discount though.

Hey, thanks for the info. I emailed them and will call as soon as they open. The card might arrive today, will see how it goes.

Damn I hate that crap. Just when you think you got a good deal...

o wow, that was fast... they dropped prices on all 4870 512 yesterday, I finally picked up xfx for under 200 :) and it's back to 235 bucks... phew..

The same thing happened with my asus 4850. Price was 144/113 AR, now its 169/139AR in one day.

It makes you wonder how bad clear sky is, I got it for free with purchase of my Phenom II, if they are basically giving the things away ;)

I bought Stalker 1 awhile back on steam for like $5, I haven't even had the time to play it and now have clear sky to add to it.

Just bought the DK Top yesterday for 199.99 with the $30 rebate and Stalker CS. :mad:

Think Newegg will refund me the twenty bucks since its only been a day or less since the price drop?

Anyone had any luck trying that with them?

Poop!!!

Yea!!! Got them to refund me the $20 bucks.

Ahhh, Now it was a sweet deal. Asus 4870 DK Top for $149.99 after $30 rebate. Best deal I ever got on a nice VC.

Wow, now the card is at $259.99, with only a $20 rebate.:( What a difference.

Oh, Stalker 1 was a great game after they finally finished it (all the patching) Seems Clear Sky runs like ass maxed and still needs a lot of work. Shame, was looking forward to it, I loved the atmosphere in Stalker 1. Probably gonna hold off installing it till the next PC build.

yikes...$259 before rebate!!! That's just silly seeing as it was $179 yesterday.

Now showing $174.99, no free shipping, $30 MIR.

Yep, and the free Stalker Clear Skys game. Damn they bounce those prices around a lot. That's bound to piss people off.

I think I'll try to get the $5 bucks refunded too now... :p:D:p

Back