[ArsTech] Took Long Enough - Xbox Live to drop Gold Req't for Netflix & Hulu

octoberasian

2[H]4U
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/rumor-xbox-live-to-remove-gold-requirement-for-netflix-hulu/

We can report that multiple sources within Microsoft have been briefed on plans to make a long-awaited change to the Xbox Live Gold paywall for streaming media services. According to our sources, Xbox 360 and Xbox One users will soon no longer need a paid subscription to Xbox Live Gold to access Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming media apps.
This was actually one of my biggest pet peeves about Xbox Live was the required Gold membership paywall for Netflix, which Playstation PSN users could access without subscribing to PS+.

Now with this requirement gone, Xbox Live and PS+ are about the same in membership parity requirements and access to streaming media services. (However, what features either services offer to their customers still vary in quality and amount as usual.)

Thank you Microsoft for finally getting it through your thick head after so many years.

I think this was always inevitable with this new generation. No way could Microsoft justify more years of this pay wall bullshit.

This is a good indicator of what Microsoft is listening to and its been a very long unresolved complaint.

Although this doesn't affect me, since I'm a Gold member, it's definitely something Microsoft should have done already. Especially considering NetFlix has been free on the Playstation and even the Wii.

I never understood why they charged for this in the first place.

If the One and PS4 sales figures were reversed, guarantee this wouldn't be happening.

Now they're dropping Kinect. XBone Saved?

Yup, Major Nelson just tweeted that starting June 9th you'll be able to buy a Kinectless Xbox One for $399.

EDIT: I haven't read the full article yet, so I don't know if they've addressed this, but I wonder if you'll still be able to use the headset to perform at least some of the voice commands. I haven't used the Kinect at all, for any actual games. However, I do like being able to record clips with the DVR feature, by saying "Xbox, record that."

...and now anything that was ever going to truly use Kinect will now be shelved or put on the backburner since their audience will be haves and have-nots. Oh well.

...and now anything that was ever going to truly use Kinect will now be shelved or put on the backburner since their audience will be haves and have-nots. Oh well.

Yep their biggest "feature" is now just going to be another unsupported gimmick. It really feels like they didn't have a clear vision with this console and now they are scrambling to bring sales up.

If the One and PS4 sales figures were reversed, guarantee this wouldn't be happening.

Yeah, it's probably PS4 sales figures that have decided this especially given that the XONE is sold in less markets than the PS4.

Now they're dropping Kinect. XBone Saved?

Again, took them long enough. Charging an extra $100 over the price of a PS4 by including the Kinect was asking too much. That decision in pricing the consoles also sealed the decisions for a lot of console buyers who were watching their wallets carefully.

With the XONE dropping Kinect and Gold requirement for streaming media services, it will now boil down to games, games, and games. However, there will be those "nitpicky gamers" that will notice that for $399 you can get a game that plays at native, non-upscaled 1080p versus 720p/900p for the same game on a console that costs the same price.

So, more exclusivity agreements to sell more consoles? You betcha, especially since that has been the normal for Microsoft moreso than Sony.

If Microsoft wants to remain competitive they must release Halo 5 in time for the holidays. They cannot go another year without a system seller.

Sony would be wise to line up a couple huge exclusives for the holidays too. It's going to be an interesting E3 now.

Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies....

[A Kinect-less Xbox One] is not in our plans at all [..] As we’ve said from the very beginning, we believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience.

To be clear, as we introduce this new Xbox One console option, Kinect remains an important part of our vision.

Thank you.

Never change, Microsoft.

With the XONE dropping Kinect and Gold requirement for streaming media services, it will now boil down to games, games, and games. However, there will be those "nitpicky gamers" that will notice that for $399 you can get a game that plays at native, non-upscaled 1080p versus 720p/900p for the same game on a console that costs the same price.

So, more exclusivity agreements to sell more consoles? You betcha, especially since that has been the normal for Microsoft moreso than Sony.

I honestly do not support the whole bribing a developer to keep the game exclusive to one platform. I don't plan to buy an Xbone even if a game releases that I would be interested in playing. If I wanted to play that game then I would prefer to play it at its best instead of being forced to play on a system that cant perform to its best.

Don't give me the whole "The game is optimized for the console" nonsense because that hardly makes a difference.

I honestly do not support the whole bribing a developer to keep the game exclusive to one platform. I don't plan to buy an Xbone even if a game releases that I would be interested in playing. If I wanted to play that game then I would prefer to play it at its best instead of being forced to play on a system that cant perform to its best.

Don't give me the whole "The game is optimized for the console" nonsense because that hardly makes a difference.
Yeah, I absolutely abhor exclusivity agreements. It's unfair to the consumer and limits consumer choice. But, given the scarily increase in company mergers and buyouts lately, it seems more and more likely that consumer choice is going to be extinct in the future.

"Either buy this or be left out." -[insert name of company here]

Yeah, I absolutely abhor exclusivity agreements. It's unfair to the consumer and limits consumer choice. But, given the scarily increase in company mergers and buyouts lately, it seems more and more likely that consumer choice is going to be extinct in the future.

"Either buy this or be left out." -[insert name of company here]

It only benefits Sony and Microsoft. The developers and the consumer get the shaft

Even with One at $399, the PS4 is still a better buy. The One needs to be $349 to be competitive.

What makes this very interesting is if Microsoft permits developers to access the processing power that was reserved for the Kinect. Could lead to more equality in port performance with PS4.

Even with One at $399, the PS4 is still a better buy. The One needs to be $349 to be competitive.

I think MS will make up for the decrease in specs with bundled games. Sure, they could probably bring it down to $349, but then they'd practically be telling consumers that it's a cheaper experience. Keep it at $399 with a nice games bundle and it will be much more appealing.

Personally, I think today's announcements are great. Not sure if it's the new leadership at MS or what, but they've really upped their game. And by removing the Gold paywall for streaming services to bring it to parity with Sony's PS+, opens up both companies to try to one up each other with free games and perks.

Yar, like the other poster said, this E3 has just become much more interesting.

Back