Apple 'Scary Fast' Mac event October 30th

I'm glad I decided to stay with the 16"!
I thought of buying the 14 with same specs but it would seem throttling and fan noise is worse than the M2 Max.
Particularly when used on the desktop with a TB4 dock this matters even more.
Depends on what you want out of a machine. For me, the size and weight "are the upgrade".
I'm thankful that Apple is putting the same chips in all sizes now, I'll never buy a 16" laptop ever again.

Imagine my surprise when this showed up today:

IMG_5694.jpeg

Imagine my surprise when this showed up today:

View attachment 613944
Nice ... grats! I just ordered the base 16" Max with the 1 TB SSD and 36 GB of RAM in Space Black. I just started coding school and my M1 Air can only connect to one friggin' display and I need at least two displays ... one for coding ... and the other to see the result of that coding (I was looking at the ultrawides but the resolution and PPI suck even on the ridiculously expensive ones). I also didn't want to leave out the possibility of a third or fourth display in the future. 16" will also be significantly better for when I'm on the road. I'm pretty excited.

Nice ... grats! I just ordered the base 16" Max with the 1 TB SSD and 36 GB of RAM in Space Black. I just started coding school and my M1 Air can only connect to one friggin' display and I need at least two displays ... one for coding ... and the other to see the result of that coding (I was looking at the ultrawides but the resolution and PPI suck even on the ridiculously expensive ones). I also didn't want to leave out the possibility of a third or fourth display in the future. 16" will also be significantly better for when I'm on the road. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks, I'm sure you'll love it as I'm already impressed with how snappy it is compared to my 2019 Intel-based 16" MBP.

I’m also doing development work and the extra horsepower is not only time saving but actually opening up new approaches that previously weren’t viable.

You can't put in 128gb of equivalently fast ram no matter how much you spend :)
Yea about that. Ram speed is not well understood by many people. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a reason why we use DDR for the CPU and GDDR for the GPU. DDR is used because of low latency, because CPU's are all about processing data in sequence. Think of an If Else statement and how data is processed. You can't do the else without the if first, and that's the type of data CPU's deal with. While GPU's don't care that much about latency, but more on bandwidth because they deal with math and the math GPU's deal with can be done in any order. While Apple's LPDDR5 is a nice compromise, but it is compromise. DDR4 still has lower latency than Apple's M3 Max, while my Vega 56 has more bandwidth than a M3 Max. With each generation of DDR memory, they increase the latency in exchange for bandwidth which is why modern CPU's have so much cache to compensate for the ram's latency. That doesn't mean my PC is the equivalent of a M3 Max, just means that ram speed comparison's are mostly pointless.
Anyway, I didn't need to upgrade honestly. My M1 Max with 64GB ram and 8TB SSD is still an absolutely phenomenal machine and the first laptop I've ever owned that satisfied my performance needs without significantly slow me down. The main reason I upgraded is because one of my best employees wants to switch to Mac after her loaded Dell keeps shitting the bed, so I figured I'd give her mine and pick up the M3.
That must be a very good employee to spend that much.
That's another thing that is so great about these machines and one of the reasons I think they are an incredible value even at $5-7k - they are fully under warranty with the $99/yr recurring Applecare and I fully expect this machine to last my employee another 3-5 years after it lasted me 2+. And during that time it will be extremely fast and reliable.
Every machine has warranty, but not everyone should be paying for extended warranty. Did you know Europeans automatically get 2 year warranty?
As for what I actually do, it really varies depending on what gap I am currently filling in our team at work. A lot of high sample rate signal analysis, recording, and playback (SSD and I/O speed are critical here), video editing with Premiere Pro, photoshop, excel, content creation for marketing, and some neural network testing. I don't design the neural networks, but I do train them a lot. To be honest, this is something I've always done on our Threadripper machine with Nvidia GPUs, but I am very curious to try it on the M3 and see how much slower it is (I do anticipate it will be slower). I wouldn't be doing heavy regular training work on it, but it would be kind of useful if it wasn't criminally slow to be able to test stuff in the field without remoting in to the main training server.

On a personal side, I do a lot of photography and music production with large track counts (150+) in Logic.
Should be fine. It's not like you can't do work on these machines. The question is, how much does it cost compared to a similar spec PC? I'm not sure what the power efficiency of a Intel Xeon W-10855M is, but it's probably less than an AMD.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should be fine. It's not like you can't do work on these machines. The question is, how much does it cost compared to a similar spec PC? I'm not sure what the power efficiency of an Intel Xeon W-10855M is, but it's probably less than an AMD.
You might be surprised, they balance out really well. My servers are all metered along with most heavy workstations, and by year end the difference within the same generation is peanuts.
The AMDs do better under heavy load, but the Intels do better at rest and under smaller day to day loads.

So if your pinning the CPU to 80% or more 24/7 then AMD is going to take the commanding lead but years of tracking this for Carbon Neutral shows me they balance out in the wash. The big difference is there are regulations regarding the idle periods but nothing during the highs. So that tends to hand most of my procurement contracts to Intel by default.

Anecdotal at best I know but I would imagine that most 9-5 operations see similar results.

I have my next big procurement set coming in Spring 2024 so I get to reevaluate then but it was certainly true for the 2020 and 2021 set, 2022 and 2023 hasn’t seen any big infrastructure so it’s all laptops and mobile and most of those have been Apple or ChromeOS.

Last edited:
You might be surprised, they balance out really well. My servers are all metered along with most heavy workstations, and by year end the difference within the same generation is peanuts.
The AMDs do better under heavy load, but the Intels do better at rest and under smaller day to day loads.

So if your pinning the CPU to 80% or more 24/7 then AMD is going to take the commanding lead but years of tracking this for Carbon Neutral shows me they balance out in the wash. The big difference is there are regulations regarding the idle periods but nothing during the highs. So that tends to hand most of my procurement contracts to Intel by default.

Anecdotal at best I know but I would imagine that most 9-5 operations see similar results.
It makes sense that AMD's uses more power under light loads due to their chiplet design. But 10nm is still 10nm, and that does hurt Intel's power consumption. I'd imagine unplugged it isn't something you'd want to do for very long.

It makes sense that AMD's uses more power under light loads due to their chiplet design. But 10nm is still 10nm, and that does hurt Intel's power consumption. I'd imagine unplugged it isn't something you'd want to do for very long.
Yeah no not gonna do that they are on 24/7.
Some users may shut down their stuff end of day but most scripts and such run from 9pm to 5am can’t be doing anything that may mess with people mid day
10nm kicks Intel in the dick they can rename it all they want but TSMC 5 trounces them hands down.
Looking forward to see what Gen15 and the “Intel 4” process brings to the table.

I forgot they have that hideous ass notch

God almightly
It’s really not a big deal due to the extra height on the panel. You really don’t notice it given the UI design of macOS.

Shipping confirmation on mine but no arrival yet.

My original delivery date was 11.21 so I wasn't expecting this until next week. Keep an eye on the tracking info I suppose.

That is actually smart and Apple should have done this.

Similar in kind to "Dynamic Island" on the iPhones, basically extending the physical notch digitally and adding the extra space for notifications and such. Probably doesn't add a lot of value on a non-touch screen so they left it off the Mac.

On Geekbench 6 tests the new MBP runs circles around my desktop, which admittedly is an ancient 1st gen Threadripper:

Geekbench 6 CPU.PNG

The GPU however is nowhere near 3080 levels:

Geekbench 6 GPU.PNG

Last edited:
That must be a very good employee to spend that much.
She is fantastic; started at the bottom in customer support and worked her way up to logistics manager. I just bought her a Neo G9 ultrawide and thunderbolt dock as well. I will spend money on my people if the prove they can leverage technology for more productivity. I have other employees that when given the tools (external monitors, etc) just sit there using their macbook screen as their main and can't figure out how to build an effective workflow. Spending money on productivity for those employees is pointless, but giving the tools to someone that will leverage them into a better workflow is some of the cheapest money you'll spend as a business owner.
Every machine has warranty, but not everyone should be paying for extended warranty. Did you know Europeans automatically get 2 year warranty?

Should be fine. It's not like you can't do work on these machines. The question is, how much does it cost compared to a similar spec PC? I'm not sure what the power efficiency of a Intel Xeon W-10855M is, but it's probably less than an AMD.
I know you have had trouble understanding this in the past, but there are no similarly specced PCs. I can't use that Thinkpad on regional jets (not enough space between the seat in front of you), it's unwieldy to carry around in my shoulder bag, the 14in formfactor is more convenient in the car, battery life is significantly worse, it runs way hotter, it will go slower when unplugged, etc, etc, etc. To most people, those specs matter just as much or more than what processor is in the machine. If it didn't, we'd all carry around desktops.

Last edited:
My original delivery date was 11.21 so I wasn't expecting this until next week. Keep an eye on the tracking info I suppose.

Similar in kind to "Dynamic Island" on the iPhones, basically extending the physical notch digitally and adding the extra space for notifications and such. Probably doesn't add a lot of value on a non-touch screen so they left it off the Mac.

On Geekbench 6 tests the new MBP runs circles around my desktop, which admittedly is an ancient 1st gen Threadripper:

View attachment 614096

View attachment 614097
Nice! Mine wasn't supposed to ship until December 4th and I just got a notice that it shipped today, so that's some good news. :)

View attachment 614096

View attachment 614097
I wouldn't go by Geekbench. Try comparing with real world applications. Not that your CPU should win because as gamers nexus did a test with 2700X and even my 5700X is far behind.

The question is, how much does it cost compared to a similar spec PC? I'm not sure what the power efficiency of a Intel Xeon W-10855M is, but it's probably less than an AMD.

That is a 10th gen chip and is quite underpowered compared to current gen stuff. The M3 Max would destroy it!

I just stopped by Microcenter and picked up a Samsung 57in Ultrawide for my incoming M3. If the M3 Max can drive this thing at full res and at least 120hz it's going to be such an insane productivity setup. My current M1 Max can only drive it at full res in picture by picture mode (dual monitor config).

What an astonishing monitor at full res.

I just stopped by Microcenter and picked up a Samsung 57in Ultrawide for my incoming M3. If the M3 Max can drive this thing at full res and at least 120hz it's going to be such an insane productivity setup. My current M1 Max can only drive it at full res in picture by picture mode (dual monitor config).

What an astonishing monitor at full res.
The M3 Max can run a 4K display up to 240 Hz. You're fine.

The M3 Max can run a 4K display up to 240 Hz. You're fine.
The Samsung 57 is 7,680 x 2,160 so it's more pixels than just 4k. But I believe it should be able to run it from the HDMI port; the question is, can it run it through a thunderbolt 4 port daisy chained to a DP 1.4 dock.

The Samsung 57 is 7,680 x 2,160 so it's more pixels than just 4k. But I believe it should be able to run it from the HDMI port; the question is, can it run it through a thunderbolt 4 port daisy chained to a DP 1.4 dock.
Yeah, I doubt it's going to work with a dock. You'll probably have to plug it directly into one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports.

Depends on the dock but you might be able to get 30hz at that resolution with some luck.
there are some that do the 4K ultra wide specs but they are hit and miss.

Just got my 14" M3 Pro. Between the 57 UW and the Corsair dock, you guys are really recommending some awesome stuff!
I've been gaming on GeforceNow aswell. Things have changed a lot for me since Kyle left, lol.

Last edited:
What are you using it with? That link says it only does 4K@60Hz on Macs.
LG C2 42" OLED. 120Hz HDR. Works great with my mbp. The corsair dock is pretty decent but it's expensive as most good docks are. Another plus unlike the Dell is there is no fan noise.
NOTE: The cable Corsair provides (type C to HDMI) will NOT support HDMI 2.1. When enabled on the set there was no signal. The cable I linked to earlier fixes that.
My ThinkPad X1 Gen8 will also support this mode as well.

The 4K60 on Mac may be if you plug the cable directly into the TB port on the Mac. Never tried that but it shouldn't make a difference.

LG C2 42" OLED. 120Hz HDR. Works great with my mbp. The corsair dock is pretty decent but it's expensive as most good docks are. Another plus unlike the Dell is there is no fan noise.
NOTE: The cable Corsair provides (type C to HDMI) will NOT support HDMI 2.1. When enabled on the set there was no signal. The cable I linked to earlier fixes that.
My ThinkPad X1 Gen8 will also support this mode as well.

The 4K60 on Mac may be if you plug the cable directly into the TB port on the Mac. Never tried that but it shouldn't make a difference.
M1 machines are notoriously picky about 4K/120 handshaking. So much so that I’ve found on YouTube that people are using adapters with hacked firmware to make it work properly.

I think a good chunk was “fixed” by vendors knowing that problem and creating certified adapters, and by certain dock vendors doing the same. The problem is having to go through the headache to find whether or not the dock you have will handshake or not and the same with the adapters.

Apple!

Black Macbooks.... Check
Matching Black Magsafe power cord.... Check
Big white power brick.... WTF Apple.
Yeap. Was noted by all the major outlets at launch.

The solution for me is likely that I want to get an Anker GaN 150 watt charger that has multiple USB-C. So when I travel I can charge my iPad Pro, iPhone, and iPad simultaneously off of one charger and can pair down what I need. Sucks that that is the way it is, but also in fairness to Apple, it's not as if Dell or HP's charging bricks can do multiple things or aren't otherwise terrible bricks that are had to pack, get hot, and hard to place (and also don't have Magsafe). Apple are still ahead there even if they don't know how to color coordinate plastic.

I also don't have a Space Black machine, and won't for at least 2 years.

It is strange that they went to all the trouble to make the cables match yet the brick is still white.

I don't mind personally as my brick lives behind and end table and I don't even use the magsafe cable. I bought a braided cable that's 4 meters long off Amazon that has an L shaped type-C connector. Nice thing about this is I can charge my phones and other laptops using this method and they all charge fast.

The Ankers are nice and compact and great for travel too.

The solution for me is likely that I want to get an Anker GaN 150 watt charger that has multiple USB-C. So when I travel I can charge my iPad Pro, iPhone, and iPad simultaneously off of one charger and can pair down what I need. Sucks that that is the way it is, but also in fairness to Apple, it's not as if Dell or HP's charging bricks can do multiple things or aren't otherwise terrible bricks that are had to pack, get hot, and hard to place (and also don't have Magsafe). Apple are still ahead there even if they don't know how to color coordinate plastic.

Pare down.

I just put an Apple sticker over a Dell 90w USB-C charger.
He'll never know.

Funny you mention that! I have several Dell 130W USB-C chargers and they work fine on my MBPs charging at 75W+...

Apple is also selling (only) black thunderbolt 4 cables (actually really, really good, there's an Adam Savage tested episode about it), but the 240 watt power usb cables are only in white. The previous thunderbolt 3 cables were only in white.
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing sometimes. Its nice that they are now making cables that aren't trash tier though.

thumbnail_IMG_1591.jpg

Apple is also selling (only) black thunderbolt 4 cables (actually really, really good, there's an Adam Savage tested episode about it), but the 240 watt power usb cables are only in white. The previous thunderbolt 3 cables were only in white.
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing sometimes. Its nice that they are now making cables that aren't trash tier though.

View attachment 616447

The Adam Savage Tested episode is misleading asf, as they compare it again a cheap USB-C charging cable... which is... well not the same thing. Apples thunderbolt cables are overpriced bullshit and no one should hand Apple the insane money they charge for them.

The Adam Savage Tested episode is misleading asf, as they compare it again a cheap USB-C charging cable... which is... well not the same thing. Apples thunderbolt cables are overpriced bullshit and no one should hand Apple the insane money they charge for them.
Pricing aside, what cable does 1:1 what Apple's cable does? I don't know of any that have active electronics (2x ARM Cortex-M0 processors, one on either end of the cable) that ensure signal integrity for those longer lengths. Signal degradation being a major issue for that level of bandwidth. Who else has that?

Back