Apple saved wifi...

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
Is there a way to have wifi networks saved, but not connect.

For instance at work I used to be able to have my laptop connected to wifi, but not my phone (LTE is faster ... laptop i have no options). But in an update (While back dont remember which), I will now have my iPhone automatically join the network and the only option is to turn off wifi (which is a no-go, Smartthings uses my wifi to help with the geofence ... if i turn it off my house starts randomly being unlocked...)

Any ideas?

No, it will connect to saved network when available. Just don't save your Work network?

Since iOS 9, the device will always prioritize WiFi over cellular if a known connection is available. If you are jailbroken there's a couple workarounds but I'm not aware of anything for a stock iPhone. Why not just turn WiFi off when you're not using it? It will save battery anyway.

Since iOS 9, the device will always prioritize WiFi over cellular if a known connection is available. If you are jailbroken there's a couple workarounds but I'm not aware of anything for a stock iPhone. Why not just turn WiFi off when you're not using it? It will save battery anyway.

Sounds like he has some janky home automation stuff that can't handle him turning WiFi off:

Smartthings uses my wifi to help with the geofence ... if i turn it off my house starts randomly being unlocked...)

CEpeep, see above, I use smartthings to control my door lock.. Turning off wifi will cause false geofencing readings and randomly will unlock my door when i am 20+ miles from home because it thinks im there, no idea why but wifi on has eliminated the false readings. What JB tweaks? (I am Jailbroken).

Ocellaris, because I use it on my laptop as stated above? I never saved it on my phone or ipad ... only on my Macbook ... It syncs between ios and OSX now...

CEpeep, see above, I use smartthings to control my door lock.. Turning off wifi will cause false geofencing readings and randomly will unlock my door when i am 20+ miles from home because it thinks im there, no idea why but wifi on has eliminated the false readings. What JB tweaks? (I am Jailbroken).

Activator can be configured to act in certain ways depending on which WiFi network you are connected to. You could configure this to route all your traffic over the cellular connection or something if you connect to your work network.

However, your problem with smartthings sounds like a more important root issue to solve that could result in a stranger gaining easy access to your home as a result of an accident on your phone. I have no idea what's causing your geofence problem, but it's possible that routing your traffic over LTE would cause the same problem as just turning off WiFi. IMO, that's a much larger issue that you should probably try to get to the root of first before just working around it on your phone.

The issue is not persistant with wifi on. The issue is within how iOS handles location, it parses known wifi AP's to get a better location. if you turn that off it seems to default back to cell towers only, and not fall back on GPS (Which would chew bat like no tomorrow).

The issue is not persistant with wifi on. The issue is within how iOS handles location, it parses known wifi AP's to get a better location. if you turn that off it seems to default back to cell towers only, and not fall back on GPS (Which would chew bat like no tomorrow).

iOS Location Services will always try use GPS when location is requested, it doesn't default to using cell towers unless the GPS isn't present (like in an iPad) or there is not GPS signal available. It is up to the app makers to prevent the app from doing a location request all the time when it isn't needed. You can easily make an app that runs Location Services 24/7 until the battery is dead if you want, and app makers can't tell Location Services to use the GPS or not.

Last edited:

Perhaps Fake GPS or another similar app could help keep your geofencing from getting screwed up unintentionally.

Back