Apple iPhone 15 Live Event "Wonderlust"

The Apple click-bait train is real. Make anything small seem big for clicks. Same as every other day.
And if I understand the bug in question correctly it’s caused by programs transferred from older iOS versions that don’t have versions released as compatible for iOS16+, but are still listed in the App Store.
It gets transferred as it’s still in the App Store, but then it endlessly searches for updates it can’t get because it’s not available for iOS 17. So just heats up the phone and drains the battery pretty minor update that can be avoided by updating the phone first then resetting it to factory and doing a data transfer. As that will correctly trigger the apps to not transfer, this update is for the users who can no longer do that.

And if I understand the bug in question correctly it’s caused by programs transferred from older iOS versions that don’t have versions released as compatible for iOS16+, but are still listed in the App Store.
It gets transferred as it’s still in the App Store, but then it endlessly searches for updates it can’t get because it’s not available for iOS 17. So just heats up the phone and drains the battery pretty minor update that can be avoided by updating the phone first then resetting it to factory and doing a data transfer. As that will correctly trigger the apps to not transfer, this update is for the users who can no longer do that.
I’m not sure of all the mechanics behind it. But even high level users like MKBHD who have observed the problem, have also stated that despite this issue, he’s experiencing the best battery life of any iPhone to date (eg: in his latest iPhone 15 review just release a few hours ago).

Soooo, it’s more or less a non-traversy even for people experiencing the bug.

I’m not sure of all the mechanics behind it. But even high level users like MKBHD who have observed the problem, have also stated that despite this issue, he’s experiencing the best battery life of any iPhone to date (eg: in his latest iPhone 15 review just release a few hours ago). Soooo, it’s more or less a non-traversy even for people experiencing the bug.
My Dad had that issue upgrading from his iPhoneX, told him he needed to set it up as a new phone do the updates then factory reset and do the data transfer. He said he’d just let the Apple Store employees do the whole process, well he got home complained about how warm it felt and a quick check showed he was not on the latest iOS build so the store didn’t follow their own instructions.

He still had his old phone so I walked him through the process of updating, factory resetting, and doing the data transfer again and the problem went away for him, but 3 of his programs that were on before before weren’t there after. He had to buy their new versions, he uses them for work so yay business expenses so he wasn’t too annoyed but wasn’t happy he had to dish out an extra $100 between the apps, but the problem didn’t return.

Remember that overheating issue I mentioned that nobody here acknowledges because their iPhone 15 is best iPhone 15? Yea, Apple is gonna issue a software update to try and fix it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/30/app...address-iphone-15-overheating-complaints.html

"Apple said that the new iPhones were running hot because of a combination of bugs in iOS 17, bugs in apps, and a temporary set-up period that requires extra processing and therefore heat generation."
We acknowledge it. The problem is you thinking it applies to everyone and not just some people. I don't have overheating issues. My cousin has overheating issues and is waiting for the update. The problem is the hilariously obvious hatred toward all things Apple and the complete inability to see things outside your bubble.

I don't think anyone here is refusing to acknowledge it. It's just that we're taking a realistic approach to this. There are bugs to fix, but some of this is out of Apple's hands. Most people won't experience this, and it's not a showstopper for most of those who do.
It's enough for Apple to issue a "fix". It's also still hotter than the S23 Ultra which again is not using 3nm like the A17 Pro chips. I also don't think a fix would actually fix anything since Apple said "temporary set-up period that requires extra processing", which is a nice way of saying there's a heavy load and the A17 Pro chip goes burrr.

View: https://youtu.be/euHAxAs9jUY?si=SmLJ_9PCI-isZJ5n
The problem is the hilariously obvious hatred toward all things Apple and the complete inability to see things outside your bubble.
Everything I said was factual. So factual that Apple had to issue an update. You took it as an attack on everything Apple, which is your perception. Either Apple has problems with their products or you're a fanboy. Doesn't sound like you want to acknowledge either.

It's enough for Apple to issue a "fix". It's also still hotter than the S23 Ultra which again is not using 3nm like the A17 Pro chips. I also don't think a fix would actually fix anything since Apple said "temporary set-up period that requires extra processing", which is a nice way of saying there's a heavy load and the A17 Pro chip goes burrr.

Everything I said was factual. So factual that Apple had to issue an update. You took it as an attack on everything Apple, which is your perception. Either Apple has problems with their products or you're a fanboy. Doesn't sound like you want to acknowledge either.

Most of the things you say aren't factual, they are hyperbole.

Most of the things you say aren't factual, they are hyperbole.
Most of this was all hashed out a few pages back. He’s a troll - from his own mouth, not anyone else’s. Just here to be annoying. Definitely not to say anything factual, have a discussion, or receive information.

Stop responding to him. Put him on your ignore list and move on.

Most of this was all hashed out a few pages back. He’s a troll - from his own mouth, not anyone else’s. Just here to be annoying. Definitely not to say anything factual, have a discussion, or receive information.

Stop responding to him. Put him on your ignore list and move on.
Noted.

That is a terrible test, the iPhone they leave face down insulated on half its surface the other elevated on a stand with open air on all sides. not exactly oranges to oranges.

Why does anyone care who uses what phone? Use what you like. You do not have to justify your preference to anyone. If someone doesn't like your choice quote Logan Roy and move the fuck on.

Why does anyone care who uses what phone? Use what you like. You do not have to justify your preference to anyone. If someone doesn't like your choice quote Logan Roy and move the fuck on.
Let it never be said that hardware enthusiasts are reasonable. 🙄

Because my choice of $1000+ disposable phone is the right choice! We must all choose to make the same company richer!

Because my choice of $1000+ disposable phone is the right choice! We must all choose to make the same company richer!
You lost me on the second part. I prefer half making one rich while the other half makes another rich. That way we all get better toys as there is something that looks at least a bit like competition.

Yes, I realize that your comment was meant as sarcasm. That does not mean it is not the actual basis of this topic, even if the participants are not fully aware of their own arguments. It clearly explains the dick measuring present throughout this thread.

How can apple sustain itself much longer? They have ZERO innovation.

That was a rhetorical question and the obvious answer is because they depend on the growing idiocracy and rapidly declining intellect of the average dolt to keep on buying thier garbage.

"it has electrolytes" - idiocracy

because people 'need' phones. Innovation hasnt been needed to sell them in a long time.
However Samsung and Google both offer NOTHING innovative either. There is no compelling reason to own any of these things. You say people need a phone, I agree, but people don't need 7 years ago design for 2500 dollars because it has 15 stamped on a weak titanium frame. I'm on a Fold z 4 512GB, waiting on my insurance replacement to arrive because the fold screen started turning black and dying on me. I paid 1799 for this piece of shit. So as to not be a hypocrit, yeah there ya go. I've learned that these things knight not be worth keeping much longer as a norm. That flip.phone is looking more and more attractive. 2 phones cost me and my wife 240/month. That's rediculous.

However Samsung and Google both offer NOTHING innovative either. There is no compelling reason to own any of these things. You say people need a phone, I agree, but people don't need 7 years ago design for 2500 dollars because it has 15 stamped on a weak titanium frame. I'm on a Fold z 4 512GB, waiting on my insurance replacement to arrive because the fold screen started turning black and dying on me. I paid 1799 for this piece of shit. So as to not be a hypocrit, yeah there ya go. I've learned that these things knight not be worth keeping much longer as a norm. That flip.phone is looking more and more attractive. 2 phones cost me and my wife 240/month. That's rediculous.
I wish i could argue any of that lol.

Wife an I are on iphone13s and about 4 payments left. Probably gonna ride this out until it cant turn on anymore. Then yea, i think i am done with payment plans for a damn phone, gonna either get something dumb or just older refurb stuff. New phones used to feel great, my last 3 havent been noticeably better, maybe camera quality but even then depends on what you are photographing. Probably just worth me getting a small camera to carry around instead lol.

However Samsung and Google both offer NOTHING innovative either. There is no compelling reason to own any of these things. You say people need a phone, I agree, but people don't need 7 years ago design for 2500 dollars because it has 15 stamped on a weak titanium frame.
Ehhhh, iPhone 15 Pro phones are holding up very well physically. If anything their weak point now is their protruding rounded glass backs (which 14 Pro models didn’t have, they were flush). Easily solvable with a case, but anyway, no one that is doing anything short of running over their phone with their car is going to have a problem with the frame.
I'm on a Fold z 4 512GB, waiting on my insurance replacement to arrive because the fold screen started turning black and dying on me. I paid 1799 for this piece of shit. So as to not be a hypocrit, yeah there ya go. I've learned that these things knight not be worth keeping much longer as a norm.
There is little movement in a sector with a very mature product stack. Frankly the differentiating factors between flagship phones are pretty minimal.
The 23 Ultra offers little over an S22 Ultra as an example.

Most iPhone users for about the past 4 generations (at least, if not longer) have started to cycle through phones less and less often. I used my XR for 4 years, and my 6s+ for 4 years. Because frankly the phone was perfectly usable and I didn’t (and still don’t) need to game or do anything crazy on my phone. Most users even buying the premium stuff again are doing so slower and slower.

Jumping from an iPhone 12 Pro Max to a 15 Pro Max is a pretty big jump. But year to year or even two years the changes generally aren’t enough to warrant it. Unless phones are your hobby and you want to spend $1200-$1400 every 1-2 years. And I think most users have arrived at the position that “it would be nice, but totally not necessary” unless again you’re an ultra enthusiast or have absurd amounts of money.
That flip.phone is looking more and more attractive.
Honestly if you can go back to living that way, more power to you. Alternatively look into companies like Nothing phone or even Palm for a hyper minimalist phone or more interesting phone if you’re sick of the top end upgrade cycles. Asus with Zenphone is also doing something interesting in the space as well if you don’t mind gambling with future OS support.
2 phones cost me and my wife 240/month. That's rediculous.
It’s semi-rude to talk finances with people as it’s not “our” collective business, but I definitely recommend people to stay inside of their means. I picked up an iPhone 13 Mini in May. Out the door I owed all of $300 on it after doing a phone trade in and putting $150 down (my XR was only worth $150 as trade-in, but looking at the market the difference in price I would’ve gotten from private sale wasn’t worth the hassle). I pay $12 a month for the phone. I could of course pay it all off now, but there is no interest, so I figure I may as well use that to my advantage. It was direct from Apple too, so there is no lock on the phone. I also used that to my advantage when globe trekking in Japan for nearly 4 months.

One of the best phones I’ve ever owned. The only way to make it “perfect” would be if Apple ever made a “Mini Pro” (give me the cameras and the souped up display basically). Sadly apparently the world all wants massive phones so it will never happen. Anyway, that aside, I’ve enjoyed a massively pocketable phone that slows down for nothing and will have support for 5+ years. Little to no desire to move to anything else or ’upgrade’. I’ll likely ride this phone until support for it runs out. As sadly there won’t be another Apple phone this size ever again.

Last edited:
Really great DR result out of iPhone 15 Pro

View: https://youtu.be/RNd74wyVtKw?feature=shared

Those numbers, honestly good enough to shoot a lot of content on. Only issue is that processing can’t be turned off. Meaning you’ll have typical cellphone over sharpness and over smoothing from noise reduction.

Despite that though, shot with a good app in ProRes and Apple Log, for a channel just starting out you really could shoot it on your phone with a stand, a VND, and something to get good audio.

Last edited:
I owned Android phones from 2011-2021, got tired of seeing what phone had what processor (good one like Qualcomm or shit one like Mediatek) etc, and getting 2 OS upgrades maybe - bought a used iPhone 8 Plus to try the other side - it only just got dropped for OS upgrades with iOS 17, 6 years after it's release with iOS 11 originally. Will still receive OS security updates. Android doesn't give you support like that even in flagship. They kept making Android more closed off and iOS like in form and function over the years TBH anyway, part of it is also 'why not just have iOS then?'

I'll be getting the next iPhone SE when it comes out. There's still trade offs where Android OS is better. But in terms of just buying a phone and then not having to think about it for at least 5 years or so? Choice is kinda made for me.

Lol, my Macbook lets me log in to do actual work without a fucking Microsoft 365 account and doesn't serve me ads on my login screen and desktop. #sold #thatsinnovation
Sometimes innovating for the sake of innovation isn’t good.
I just want to turn on, do my stuff, and turn it off again. Mac’s are pretty decent for that.

Please pardon my ignorance; I haven't used iOS in a long time.
It gets transferred as it’s still in the App Store, but then it endlessly searches for updates it can’t get because it’s not available for iOS 17.
Does this basically mean you have to be careful about which apps you download? Do you have to pick and choose based on how new or updated the apps happen to be?

Does this basically mean you have to be careful about which apps you download? Do you have to pick and choose based on how new or updated the apps happen to be?
No when you transfer from one iPhone to another it has for every other version done a check for compatibility issues. The Apps in the store know what iOS versions they are compatible with based on their tags, so normally the transfer would never transfer apps that aren’t compatible. But in the case of iOS17 that’s broken in the shipped version, and in some cases it transfers regardless of known compatibility issues.

The App Store and the transfer is pretty decent, if your coming from an old version and there is a known issue it won’t transfer it, but if a version is available for what you are moving to then it would still download the updated version. So it’s only a problem for old software that is no longer maintained (the problem being it won’t transfer and you can’t get it from the App Store).

Part of the issue is for every other version part of the data transfer is a requirement to upgrade to the latest iOS versions on the source and target devices. The shipped iOS17 install does not enforce or prompt that step for some reason so it’s yet another thing they missed. So somebody last minute must have made a change to the shipping version and someone in testing missed that part too.

Classic new OS fumble, not normally one Apple has made in the past though, so this one is a bit of an oddity. Their new versions aren’t without bugs, but UI ones are rare, Apple sort of prides themselves on UI and User Experience so this one’s kinda embarrassing for them.

Last edited:

No, you don't need to worry. Yes, some apps break with major releases. If it's actively supported it will be updated to fix whatever bug it has, if any. iOS restores & upgrades are one of its biggest benefits over Android.

Thanks for the explanations.
iOS restores & upgrades are one of its biggest benefits over Android.
What does restoring or upgrading mean generally? Are you saying iOS is supposed to be good for transferring or upgrading to a new iPhone?
I don't want to derail this thread, but I am considering buying an iPhone. It would be the first time I have used iOS in about a decade. I still have my old Apple ID. I worry that the moment I link my Apple ID to a pristine new phone, a whole bunch of unwanted stuff will appear just because Apple remembers it all from forever ago. Short of starting over with a new Apple ID, is there a way to opt out of downloading or syncing old crap?

Thanks for the explanations.

What does restoring or upgrading mean generally? Are you saying iOS is supposed to be good for transferring or upgrading to a new iPhone?
I don't want to derail this thread, but I am considering buying an iPhone. It would be the first time I have used iOS in about a decade. I still have my old Apple ID. I worry that the moment I link my Apple ID to a pristine new phone, a whole bunch of unwanted stuff will appear just because Apple remembers it all from forever ago. Short of starting over with a new Apple ID, is there a way to opt out of downloading or syncing old crap?
When you setup the phone you can choose to restore from a backup in iCloud which basically restores your new phone in exactly every way like the phone with the backup was.

You don't have to do this if you don't want to, and just setup the phone new. However, depending on how long ago you used iPhone it might have been pre-icloud backups anyways. Pre-icloud with iPhone backups had to be saved by the user on their computer locally.

That puts me at ease. Thanks. I think it was a first-gen iPad mini (not to mention iTunes on Mac and Windows going back a couple decades). I'll be sure to disable any iCloud backup option on the new iPhone in order to start fresh.
You don't have to do this if you don't want to, and just setup the phone new. However, depending on how long ago you used iPhone it might have been pre-icloud backups anyways. Pre-icloud with iPhone backups had to be saved by the user on their computer locally.

That puts me at ease. Thanks. I think it was a first-gen iPad mini (not to mention iTunes on Mac and Windows going back a couple decades). I'll be sure to disable any iCloud backup option on the new iPhone in order to start fresh.
No, keep iCloud backup enabled. You want that moving forward. Just don't choose a restore at setup if it offers you one.

You are nicely reminding me of things I need to consider before I buy the phone.
No, keep iCloud backup enabled. You want that moving forward. Just don't choose a restore at setup if it offers you one.
While I don't know how, I hope to go around Apple to some extent. If possible, I want to back up and sync outside of the Apple ecosystem. I fear getting locked in (and/or succumbing to the Big Tech idea of "privacy"). So I bought a lifetime pass for Filen storage, hoping I can keep all my photos there and circumvent Apple's servers.

The other thing I want to figure out is how to privately and securely back up my contacts outside Apple. I don't know how to accomplish that but I hope to see some sort of export option.

Or I can give up and do the easy thing like you suggested. Maybe I'll have to.

You are nicely reminding me of things I need to consider before I buy the phone.

While I don't know how, I hope to go around Apple to some extent. If possible, I want to back up and sync outside of the Apple ecosystem. I fear getting locked in (and/or succumbing to the Big Tech idea of "privacy"). So I bought a lifetime pass for Filen storage, hoping I can keep all my photos there and circumvent Apple's servers.

The other thing I want to figure out is how to privately and securely back up my contacts outside Apple. I don't know how to accomplish that but I hope to see some sort of export option.

There are always ways around all of these automated functions. But I have to say that it's kind of just fighting upstream. It's more work to do what you're thinking. Nothing stopping you though.

If possible, I want to back up and sync outside of the Apple ecosystem.
Not really possible outside of a jailbreak. I mean you can use like Google Drive for documents and Amazon photos or other equivalent. But an actual backup of the phone, as in “oops I need a new phone; put all my accounts and settings back where they were” then no. You’ll be doing manual encrypted backups with iTunes or backups to iCloud.

Given the number of Authenticators I have, being able to backup the seeds in an encrypted form means I’m not locked out of every account that’s MFA protected if my phone goes poof.

You realize that iCloud backups can have end-to-end encryption enabled now, correct? Apple can't access your data. Period. Even if the FBI serves a warrant, they get jack shit because no one but you has a decryption key to it all.

You realize that iCloud backups can have end-to-end encryption enabled now, correct? Apple can't access your data. Period. Even if the FBI serves a warrant, they get jack shit because no one but you has a decryption key to it all.
Yes but not quite, it's not that they can't they can but it takes a shit load of very very valid warrants and a whole bit through the legal system.
The data can be decrypted on any trusted device, where you have signed into your Apple ID on that device.
So if the FBI or CIA or whoever has gone through the whole process, Apple can reset your Apple ID password, enroll a new device as a trusted device, and pass that device over to law enforcement so they can go over the data you had saved in iCloud while said law enforcement agency sends your actual device over to Israel so they can break into it for them for a "nominal" fee.
But it's not like Apple just does that because somebody asked nicely they make them go through the whole court process which takes months and years in the event the phone is registered to a user in another country because that brings international courts into play. So law enforcement just doesn't bother outside of a friendly letter that basically reads "Daddy Apple, pwease..."

Yes but not quite, it's not that they can't they can but it takes a shit load of very very valid warrants and a whole bit through the legal system.
The data can be decrypted on any trusted device, where you have signed into your Apple ID on that device.
So if the FBI or CIA or whoever has gone through the whole process, Apple can reset your Apple ID password, enroll a new device as a trusted device, and pass that device over to law enforcement so they can go over the data you had saved in iCloud while said law enforcement agency sends your actual device over to Israel so they can break into it for them for a "nominal" fee.
But it's not like Apple just does that because somebody asked nicely they make them go through the whole court process which takes months and years in the event the phone is registered to a user in another country because that brings international courts into play. So law enforcement just doesn't bother outside of a friendly letter that basically reads "Daddy Apple, pwease..."
Not with iCloud end to end. They'd have to know the specific encryption key. Without iCloud end to end you are correct.

Not with iCloud end to end. They'd have to know the specific encryption key. Without iCloud end to end you are correct.
I use end-to-end and I am pretty sure I have never been asked to enter my encryption key when I set up a new device, just username, password, and authorize my 2 factor.

Thanks for the ideas. If we ignore privacy for a moment, does Apple make it hard to get data out of their ecosystem? Like, what if all my contacts are in Apple and I decide later I don't want to use Apple's stuff anymore? How do I transfer my contacts elsewhere?
Is there possibly an assumption at play here? Namely that Apple will always demand certain legal requirements to be met? In principle, Apple could get cozier with law enforcement in the future. (I'm neither trying to imply they will or won't.)

But it's not like Apple just does that because somebody asked nicely they make them go through the whole court process which takes months and years in the event the phone is registered to a user in another country because that brings international courts into play.
Hum, I am not so sure the Russian military avoiding iPhone are paranoid and wrong to think that apple would never share data to the US-Ukrainian military/intelligence. Apple say they are wrong and maybe they would never do it... but how could one know ?

Back