Anyone using Bitlocker to encrypt extenral drives?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
instead of using Veracrypt, I'm going to use Microsoft Bitlocker to encrypt the next external hard drive I get. I haven't used bitlocker before but based on what i've read about it it seems like it will do what I need it to. I would probably use the password option since I'll be building a new computer later this year or next and I'm thinking with the password option, There won't be any issues of getting that external drive recognized by a different windows install.

If anybody has been using bitlocker, what do you think of it?

Does it degrade drive performance at all terms of transfer speeds?

instead of using Veracrypt, I'm going to use Microsoft Bitlocker to encrypt the next external hard drive I get. I haven't used bitlocker before but based on what i've read about it it seems like it will do what I need it to. I would probably use the password option since I'll be building a new computer later this year or next and I'm thinking with the password option, There won't be any issues of getting that external drive recognized by a different windows install.

If anybody has been using bitlocker, what do you think of it?

Does it degrade drive performance at all terms of transfer speeds?
I haven't used it for an external drive. But, lots for internal.

For daily use, their is no perceptible performance difference. You might be able to find a difference if you really look for it. But, if you really need secure data, its worth it.

I would have as many recovery options as possible.
If you are using the password method-----make sure its a good password. The typical bitlocker keys are so long, they probably couldn't' ever be brute forced. And that's the point ;)

Thanks guys

And a more general question is, what is the quickest way to encrypt or password Protect a drive?

I'm buying a massive 44TB WD external drive will be RAID 0 since it the data will be backed up on other drives, so it won't ever be my single source of data. If I were to encrypt it in the way I used to do using Veracrypt.It would take literally weeks.I'd much rather not do that and if i'm able to just set a password without having to spend days encrypting it that's much better. I think that the drive comes with AES encryption software that might enable me to do that. But if i'm using Bitlocker would I be able to just set a password and not have to encrypt every sector in the drive?

Thanks guys

And a more general question is, what is the quickest way to encrypt or password Protect a drive?

I'm buying a massive 44TB WD external drive will be RAID 0 since it the data will be backed up on other drives, so it won't ever be my single source of data. If I were to encrypt it in the way I used to do using Veracrypt.It would take literally weeks.I'd much rather not do that and if i'm able to just set a password without having to spend days encrypting it that's much better. I think that the drive comes with AES encryption software that might enable me to do that. But if i'm using Bitlocker would I be able to just set a password and not have to encrypt every sector in the drive?
Make sure bitlocker is compatible with a raid array.

Raid 0 is risky, externals usually have a bit harder life, if anything changes on the array, wouldn't that prompt for bit locker key?

Back