Anyone repair bad flashed bios motherboard?

Rashean700

Gawd
I had a bad flash happen last night and wondering if any of the members here do bios chip repair or replacement....The motherboard is from a laptop hp dv8000 and I was trying to remove the whitelist wifi cad so i could use a wireless N card. If anyone can help me out that would be great :)

First you have to determine if the BIOS chip is removable. Take the laptop apart and find it on the board.

ugh. check with the manufacturer and see if they offer any flash fix features. for example, booting off a floppy or cdrom and autoloading a flash file found there. second possibilities - shadow flash files. if no, you can then whip out the screwdriver....

If nothing else works, there are several YouTube videos about desoldering chips. If you don't have access to special equipment, you either 1) Use Chip Quik solder, which melts at just 138 Fahrenheit and costs $1 an inch; 2) clip the pins with tiny wire cutters, like Xcelite 170M (below), close to the circuit board if you intend to reuse the chip; or 3) use a heat gun. The last is considerably riskier and should be done only outdoors, on a fireproof surface of ceramic, concrete, or steel. It's best to practice on a junked board that has a chip with similar surface mount leads (J-shaped). If you have an old SATA or IDE (PATA) hard disk controller card, its BIOS chip may be useable on the motherboard. Also these controllers can flash that chip with the motherboard's BIOS. Another source of these chips are old CD and DVD drives, and they're often socketed (i.e., a source of sockets, too).

wire_cutters.jpg

Try to solder a socket where the chip went, if there's enough clearance around it. The easiest socket for this is the type where the contact pads can be accessed from above with a small soldering iron (no more than 20 watts).

Back