Antec HCP-1300 + 4-Way SLI -PLEASE HELP!-

Baasha

Limp Gawd
Just joined this forum!

I picked up a brand new Antec HCP-1300 from NewEgg and installed it on Friday.

My rig has 4x GTX-Titan SCs (stock clocks/bios for now), CPU @ 4.8Ghz, a bunch of peripheral devices (10 SSDs etc.).

I am using the ASRock Extreme11 Mobo on the 3.20 BIOS.

I actually picked up the Antec HCP-1300 after reading the HardOCP review of it.

The main issue is that the PSU comes with 5 PCI-E connectors (each with 2x 8-pin (6+2) connectors). However, only THREE (3) of these connectors are 8-pin on the side of the PSU (where it plugs in to the PSU). Two of them are 16-pin connectors that span two 12V rails.

So, with 4 GPUs, I am forced to use at least one of these 16-pin connectors spanning 2 12V rails.

Each of the 12V rails is rated up to 50A which is more than enough for the GPUs.

This particular PSU also has a 'weird' 8-pin connector hanging from the 24-pin MoBo connector - something that needs to be connected to the PSU (read NewEgg review section).

Here is the problem:

The computer keeps shutting off and then rebooting automatically when under stress (benchmarks & games).

The connection configuration is as follows:

1.) 12V1 --> 8-pin from MoBo cable; 2x CPU EPS 8-pin
2.) 12V2 --> 1 PCI-E for GPU (8-pin)
3.) 12V3 --> 1 PCI-E for GPU (8-pin)
4.) 12V3 & 12V4 (spanning 2 12V Rails) --> 2 PCI-E for 2 GPUs (2 x 16-pin)

Please see pic for reference:
1391482815nlmTkdozhw_3_1_l.jpg

I also tried 3-Way SLI and a bunch of different combinations - still crashes!

In fact, I just tried 3-Way SLI by using ONLY the three (3) 8-pin PCI-E connectors (removed the 16-pin connectors altogether) on separate rails (12V2, 12V3, 12V4 while connecting the mobo 8-pin, 2x CPU 8-pin, and peripherals to 12V1) and I still got crashes! :confused:

Does this mean the PSU is a lemon/dud?

If it can't even run 3-Way properly (without sharing the rails for the GPUs), it most certainly won't run 4-Way SLI.

By the way, please don't post about this PSU "not being enough for 4-Way SLI" etc.

I used to run the EXACT same setup (4-Way Titans @ 1.212V and OC'd, 3970X @ 4.8Ghz, same 10 SSDs and other peripherals) on an Antec HCP-1200 - it used to run all day without breaking a sweat. Played every game and ran every benchmark without a hiccup!

Really regret selling that HCP-1200! :(

Would really appreciate any help/advice with this.

What happens when running at stock?

When running everything at stock (CPU, GPU, RAM), I still get the same shutoff + reboot.

The strange thing is, I played AC4 for about 15 minutes without issue. BF4 crashed a couple of times but then I was able to play about 4 rounds continuously with everything maxed out. :confused:

The game that seems to crash EVERY time consistently is GTA IV. I'm playing it with many mods including ENB and it works great in 2-Way SLI - I can play it all day without issue.

The moment I try it with 3-Way SLI, the game crashes within one (1) minute! :mad:

It seems so strange - I can't seem to put a finger on it. What could be causing this?

I also tried looping FireStrike Extreme and it crashed after a couple of loops.

Unigine Valley, however, runs fine at stock - ran it for several loops in 3-Way SLI.

HELP!

Hey Basha. I am going to necro this topic because I am having the same problem. I thought I was having problems with my old HCP-1200 so Antec offered to upgrade me to a HCP-1300 for free.

Long story short, I upgraded my setup, was running on two 980Ti's just fine, decided to add a 3rd. CTDs! Reboots! Lockups! This is on a Haswell 5820k setup @ 4.3GHz. I sent an email to Antec and got a response that the HCP-1300 doesn't have the same overhead as the HCP-1300 and I should use the link function and buy another PSU and run it outside my tower (or buy a stronger PSU).:rolleyes:

So much for "upgrading" me for free. I had to pay $45 for shipping too. I want my HCP-1200 back.:mad:

3x 980Ti's should be fine, just as with 3x 290X. You need to reconfigure which rails you're using for which cards. It's been a while since I upgraded from my old HCP-1300 (I loved it for Trifire, but it's not enough for Quad) so I'm not sure which rails exactly, just play with it and it'll be fine.

From memory, set each GPU to its own rail, have both CPU connections in the middle between the shared rail ports, and put your peripherals on the remaining rail.

How do I know any of this and how can I ensure it will work for you? From 4+ hours messing with my quadfire 295X2 setup to get it to work (which it did for regular stuff and low-end games, but during max load it kept hitting OCP so I had to upgrade to my current Corsair AX1500i)

Oh, and for emphasis, the key to me getting it working was to not have the GPUs split over rails and to have them exclusively on their own rails.

For example, put GPU 1 on 12v4 only, top and bottom. I think I left 12v1 for peripherals because it's shared with mobo and used the other 12v2-12v4 for GPUs, but I can't remember anymore.

I use the EVGA P2 1600W because it has one 133 amp rail.

3x 980Ti's should be fine, just as with 3x 290X. You need to reconfigure which rails you're using for which cards. It's been a while since I upgraded from my old HCP-1300 (I loved it for Trifire, but it's not enough for Quad) so I'm not sure which rails exactly, just play with it and it'll be fine.

From memory, set each GPU to its own rail, have both CPU connections in the middle between the shared rail ports, and put your peripherals on the remaining rail.

How do I know any of this and how can I ensure it will work for you? From 4+ hours messing with my quadfire 295X2 setup to get it to work (which it did for regular stuff and low-end games, but during max load it kept hitting OCP so I had to upgrade to my current Corsair AX1500i)

Thanks Xinmosni- This is a pain in the ass because Antec gives no instructions with the thing. I need a diagram on how to set it up. I have a dust shield covering it (Haf-X), so I need to open up my case and remove all my cards in order to reconfigure it and start messing around with cable configurations I guess.

I'm a little confused over what you just described. I really need a diagram on how exactly to do this. What's the point in offering a dedicated motherboard connector if I can't use it? I won't have enough connectors for my peripherals if I set it up this way.

I'm concerned about using a 1500+ watt PSU in my unit. My building is >30yrs old. I don't think the wiring can handle it. I'm tempted to try tho- the Lepa 1600 is kind of inexpensive. I really wish I had my HCP-1200 back tho, that thing was a beast.

Basha said in Tri-SLI he put each card on it's own rail and it still didn't work.

Last edited:
If going inexpensive, I'd get the eVGA 1600w before the Lepa, just based on reviews and resell value. Either will be fine for Tri-SLI 980Ti's, but I've heard the Lepa has similar OCP issues when pushed.

+1 for EVGA. The Superflower platform is awesome, i believe the P2 is the model you would want but don't quote me on it. Those Titans take some serious juice to run, and if you're only gaming, then I can't imagine what benefit you would get from having 4.

Hmm. Will a 1300w eVGA be adequate? I don't want to spend so much. I'm trying to keep my costs down. As cheap a PSU as possible that will handle my setup will be fine.

It don't want to spend hours fooling around with the HCP-1300 only to have it fail again. It seems Baasha had no success with 1 PS and ended up with 2 (but he was running 4, I am only running 3 way SLI, a single PS should be adequate). I am definitely not going that route. I honestly don't think my apartment wiring can handle a 1600w PS anyways... Probably trip the circuit left and right.

This whole topic has me confused. I'm tempted just to try buying like an EVGA 1300w PS for ~$150 and seeing if that works.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/6292/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review-ultra-hd-in-ultra-quality

This guy tests out 3 and 4 way 980Ti on 1200w and 1500w PSUs and it seems the Seasonic Platinum Series 1200W can handle 3-way OK.

Last edited:
no....give it a day or 2 cause there are some real experts here that can recommend the best purchase...trust me a couple people havent posted yet

no....give it a day or 2 cause there are some real experts here that can recommend the best purchase...trust me a couple people havent posted yet

There are some deals to be had on Jet.com with the 20% off discount coupon. Someone just point me in the right direction and I'll make a purchase.

I'm also running 7 onboard drives too (including two SSD in Raid 0) off the PS so keep that in mind.

HCP-1200 was awesome.:(

Last edited:
Nah. I'd like to get a PSU that lasts. I just don't want to spend a fortune (much over $300) and primarily take advantage of that 20% off Jet.com coupon before it gets pulled. Some really incredible deals going on right now, so if I need to pick up a 1600w PS I can grab one for a decent price.

In the meantime I think I have one bad 980Ti that I need to RMA anyways. I'll try and narrow that one down. It's hitting 91C even at stock. (Another one is hitting 87C but that's when gaming/benching so at least it's not maxing out.) My third one maxes out @ 67C.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with my power supply issues tho.

So guys I'd really like to get a new PS for my setup to take advantage of that third 980Ti. Should I just throw in the towel and pick up a EVGA 1600G2 or P2? There's a $40 difference between the G2 and P2, what are the differences?

Do I even need a 1600w PS for my setup?

Back