AMD Screws Gamers: Sponsorships Likely Block DLSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something's obviously up whatever that is
The inevitable phasing out of DLSS is probably up yes.
Proprietary things only survive until a good enough universal option exists. VHS displaced BETA. DirectX displaced Glide.
FSR is not an agreed on standard... but it seems to me the industry is starting to see it as one.

Still much speculation all around, no real hard evidence that I can see from the HUB video.

IDK may be developers are just tired of Nvidia's closed source shit and if it has FSr2.2 they don't really give a shit about DLSS. I mean there have been so many reports of Nvidia having iron fist with partners and even screwing over GPU partners etc. I am wondering if dev's are just giving middle finger because it seems like more dev's are siding with AMD on top games. Well not like it doesn't work on Nvidia hardware I guess is their point.

I never thought the all these guys would be fighting so hard for something proprietary lmao. Then these guys wonder why nvidia will charge more and more with DLSS being an upsell feature lmao. It all goes hand in hand.

AMD could still just say 'no' if that were the case.

Watch the video. All the way through. Please.

why would amd care about Nvidia, its business at the end. May be Nvidia needs to stop making proprietary solutions to upsell and screw over their own buyers from last gen. I really don't buy this shit that DLSS3 has some sort of special hardware. Its how Nvidia does business, they wont even pass on new software to their existing users.

Why does AMD need to care about Nvidia to respond 'no' to multiple third parties, and tech news/reviewers at that, when asked directly by now multiple tech news/reviewers?

Youtubers ran out of things to talk about and now its AMD being Anti consumer when they are the only ones that make open source shit lmao. Then the same reviewers will talk about how nvidia is ripping you off and upselling you dlss4 and its not supported by last gens lmao.

AMD sponsors work for their hardware. Maybe there's a clause saying "we're paying you for this, so don't use this money to do that!" That would only be reasonable. If "this" is done, and there's revenue enough to do "that" from sales, maybe they'll add it later. Or maybe nvidia sponsors "that." Maybe it doesn't matter to nvidia enough to sponsor it. Has anyone asked nvidia?

Why does AMD need to care about Nvidia to respond 'no' to multiple third parties, and tech news/reviewers at that, when asked directly by now multiple tech news/reviewers?
You don't find it interesting that this "story" breaks on a Friday... of a long weekend. If this was or is real some developer would leak a contract, or leak that they where told something. Zero evidence, the entire story is speculation... and a sales person on the way out the door on a Friday afternoon said hmmm I don't know no comment.

IDK may be developers are just tired of Nvidia's closed source shit and if it has FSr2.2 they don't really give a shit about DLSS.
That does not match Sony title developer action or many non AMD sponsored title either.

I am not sure closed source has any relevance to the game dev, I doubt they which they could do change to the upscaling code and do it for FSR.

why would amd care about Nvidia
Public statement is not about Nvidia obviously, not that they care but if they want to talk to them, they can call, it is for the pundit community and the online discourse.

It is obviously reasonable for a sponsor to ask something in exchange, I am sure Nvidia sponsored title as some RT clause (like A plague tale having some useless RT added on month after release), if it was unreasonable the developer would not enter those agreements.

P.S.: Why was the previous thread deleted and buried?
The amount of backlash going around was high. I don't see this thread sticking around for much longer.
Still zero proof of anything.
One more youtuber I think less of. lol
Yea, I'm gonna have to put a strike on Hardware Unboxed for this one. It's all opinion and without confirmation from AMD it will continue to be speculation. Just a reminder that DLSS is not good for the PC gaming industry. If anyone is wondering why the RTX 4060 and 4060 Ti perform mostly like the 3060 and 3060 Ti, that's because Nvidia is betting on wide spread adoption of DLSS to make up that performance difference. Which again, DLSS3.0 only works on RTX-40 Series cards which nobody is buying. To say that it hurts choice in the PC gaming industry is ignoring the past mistakes Nvidia made with technologies like Physx and Hairworks. Also as another reminder that if AMD did pay money to have FSR and no DLSS, they did pay for it. This is not a new practice, and historically Nvidia has done this more often than AMD. At least everyone can use FSR, unlike DLSS and Physx. As far as I can tell, FSR isn't biased to AMD like Nvidia's Hairworks was to their hardware.

In the end we need Microsoft and Kronos Group to step in with their own upscalers that can put an end to DLSS and FSR.

In the end we need Microsoft and Kronos Group to step in with their own upscalers that can put an end to DLSS and FSR.
Really not they just need to have a compatible API as they require very similar input and does the same output, how the internal upscaling is done should not matter and a competition on how is done is perfectly fine and healthy, it could be like RTX and other things.

And MIcrosoft-Kronos Group thats quite "AMD" heavy here, I am not sure if they would agree to do it, seem like a big lost for AMD and they should probably use their vote against it, if they wanted to I imagine it would have been done a good while ago.

If anyone is wondering why the RTX 4060 and 4060 Ti perform mostly like the 3060 and 3060 Ti, that's because Nvidia is betting on wide spread adoption of DLSS to make up that performance difference
Does this analysis take into account the 7600 performance, so close to the 6650xt and even lower than the 4060 ? It could be that this generation was developed during a strange time for customer GPU demands and thought they could get away with that kind of generation jump.

. Also as another reminder that if AMD did pay money to have FSR and no DLSS, they did pay for it.
I would not assume direct exchange of money depending of what people mean by pay, an we will include your game in the sales of our cpu-gpu type of deals and a marketing campaign are nice form of payments.

Yea, I'm gonna have to put a strike on Hardware Unboxed for this one. It's all opinion and without confirmation from AMD it will continue to be speculation.
Speculation but informed one when reached game devs and AMD does not want to deny it.

Last edited:
Stay on topic please. The topic is as clear as day if you even watched the video. AMD continues to side step questions regarding them blocking developers in adding dlss in their sponsored games. They could have ended this debate day one by saying no. And the fact that they still haven't when pressed multiple times is a smoking gun.

Whatever. No big deal.

DLSS is proprietary. It should die as should all proprietary things in the industry.

FSR works on any GPU. Just use that instead.

I say this as an owner of a 4090. I want all things proprietary in the PC industry to die. They are harmful to gamers.

so nvidia says that to use dlss they don't make devs not use fsr BUT... if it's an nvidia sponsored game are they allowed to advertise or use use ccmpetitor's tech?

because the whole issue is talking about AMD sponsored games. not all games that currently use dlss and/or fsr are nvidia sponsored games.

because i remember the whole g-sync freesync debacle where the only way they could even get a gsync compatible (sticker) you couldn't say ANYTHING about being AMD freesync compatible anywhere on the box.

I would not assume direct exchange of money depending of what people mean by pay, an we will include your game in the sales of our cpu-gpu type of deals and a marketing campaign are nice form of payments.
I don't think the big AAA game devs honestly care all that much about AMDs little baby marketing spend. I mean does EA or MS need AMD marketing funds? For that matter do they really need AMDs development help either ?

I think reality should be pretty freaking clear on this one. AMD doesn't have the resources or the pull to do what they are being accused of. Apparently they don't even have a marketing team capable of dealing with some tubers jumping to dumb conclusions. I don't think AMD has the marketing machine they are being accused of having here.

Is it possible AAA console first developers are skipping DLSS.... sure very possible. Does that mean AMD is behind it? Hardly.

I really hope y'all are getting paid $$$ by AMD/Nvidia to spew this PR/branding horseshit in these threads.
... otherwise you're certified braindead for giving your time freely to defend these corporations. Holy shit.

I don't think the big AAA game devs honestly care all that much about AMDs little baby marketing spend. I mean does EA or MS need AMD marketing funds? For that matter do they really need AMDs development help either ?
When it is a big dev like Sony the situation does not occur (I would not assume Bethesda title will occur either).

Does Respawn Entertainment, Striking Distance Studios, Luminous Productions type of developer care that much ? Hard to say but they are not asking much in exchange either, specially the not do something part, thats really easy for them to do.

Is it possible AAA console first developers are skipping DLSS.... sure very possible.
That a strange statement, yes many devs are skipping DLSS, that the fact with the reason being speculated.

Does that mean AMD is behind it? Hardly.
Why does game studios and AMD when asking by people they have a relationship with does not simply say that it is not the case then ? Could be for some reason no one has thought yet, but what could it be ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back