All-Intel Linux build?

Anyone currently using an Intel card in a Linux build? I’ve heard they are very Linux friendly and am putting together a new build as a secondary machine. Was thinking about going with an all Intel machine. Wondering how others have fared here.

Intel as in their IGPs, or Intel as in their new discrete GPUs?

Intel IGPs have almost always worked fine under Linux, the problems come when wanting to use them for 3D acceleration. Open source drivers in general almost always have performance penalties using them. Both AMD and Nvidia GPUs perform markedly worse with open source drivers, and often are missing features.

I can't say how their newer discrete GPUs fare though, since I've never used one, but from reviews on them under Linux, they're not going to be a trouble free card.

Reactions: pavel
like this
Watching some benchmarking on A770 last night. Can't remember which reviewer it was said kernel mode driver not supported until 6.2 for ARC cards. Here are his findings on A750 linux benches.

Watching some benchmarking on A770 last night. Can't remember which reviewer it was said kernel mode driver not supported until 6.2 for ARC cards. Here are his findings on A750 linux benches.
Because it's a new card, I guess. Intel drivers for igpu have been in the kernel for a while - since, Intel hasn't made drastic changes to their integrated graphics, probably.

As for ARC cards, yeah, probably good to use a distro with a more recent kernel or a rolling release distro.

Edit: I'm gonna say, my guesses sound pretty good. Here's some discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IntelArc/comments/12ltewk/what_is_the_current_situation_of_intel_arc_on/

The question was indeed based on an all-Intel build utilizing ARC.

Thank you for all of the input. I'll be building this over the next couple of weeks and will post progress.

The question was indeed based on an all-Intel build utilizing ARC.

Thank you for all of the input. I'll be building this over the next couple of weeks and will post progress.
Definitely keep us posted. I have been itchin to do an all intel linux box. I just never got around to getting an intel gpu. I do have a 12400 system that I just sold a 3070 ti out of, so.... Who knows.

What flavor of linux are you going to try?

Back