Alienware - AW2518H 25" 1080p 244hz TN LED FHD GSync Monitor $349.99

BurntToast

2[H]4U
Sick deal but this deal seems to be on rotation every so often.

Great monitor for "competitive" gaming. Not so great for anything else.

Someone convince me to not jump on this. Looking for a competitive monitor. The xl2546 and xl2540 seem like the best alternatives. 1" smaller, no gsync but perhaps some other advantages like faster response time and maybe the black equalizer comes in handy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aw2518h-25-led-fhd-gsync-monitor-black/5953300.p?

I have one of these screens. Even though it's TN the color is quite good. Bought it for $429 a year ago. Used it a lot when I played PvP in Destiny 2. Well built and performs nicely.

Not bad if all you do is game. But even at 1080p, you'll still need quite a bit of GPU power to get anywhere near 244hz in most games (at least with the eyecandy all turned up). Maybe it's just me, but I find the 2560x1440 144hz monitors to be a better compromise.

if you need refresh rates that high you probably? don't need ALL of the eye candy turned if your moving around in fast paced multiplayer. i find 75-85 hz seems decent enough then again that's CRTs which is already low latency due to analogue.

$350 for a 25" still seems overpriced!

But G-Sync is the real deal and I know that's just the way it is for now.

If I was on a tight budget I'd have to recommend an AMD freesync monitor and VA or IPS rather than a g-sync with TN. Freesync or gsync - it does't matter - they are BOTH excellent.

I'd also prefer 2560x1440 for a display. or perhaps one of those LG 34" 2560x1080 instead of a 25" 1080P TN.

Something like an HP Omen 32 and a RX580 is a good budget option IMO. (if you have the deskspace for a 32" or 34")

Also, you don't need 240FP or 144FPS if you have freesync or gsync. You just need to stay in the freesync or gsync range and everything feels silky smooth. My 1080TI and my Alienware AW3418DW monitor feels buttery smooth down into the random low/mid 40's range on Early Access Hunt Showdown with g-sync.

Not bad if all you do is game. But even at 1080p, you'll still need quite a bit of GPU power to get anywhere near 244hz in most games (at least with the eyecandy all turned up). Maybe it's just me, but I find the 2560x1440 144hz monitors to be a better compromise.
And in many games you would be laughably cpu limited even with an 8700k loooong before you get anywhere near 240 hz.

yep that is the sweet spot. And even then the fps don't really matter much when you have freesync 2 or HDR. its butter smooth.

yep that is the sweet spot. And even then the fps don't really matter much when you have freesync 2 or HDR. its butter smooth.

I don't need an ultra high refresh rate monitor, but even I know that people interested in rendering that many frames aren't concerned with (just) smoothness. They are concerned about more data to their eyes and what it allows them to do from a reaction time perspective (not of the panel, although that helps, but in their own physical movements). Where people (or me in this case) question that is: "Does having 100 extra frames matter over 144hz?"
Some that play primarily FPS games like CS:GO or Overwatch or perhaps Fortnite in a competitive environment would say "yes" and others "no". I've already weighed in my personal opinion in the great debate, that having the capability of displaying an extra 100 fps doesn't matter to me and I'd rather have a resolution increase and a panel fidelity increase (IPS over TN) rather than an extra 100 frames (or rather just the upwards capability of displaying another 100 frames. Whether it's even possible to consistently get 240 frames a second, all the time, always, is an entirely different can of worms).

EDIT: Since I've basically already given an entire opinion piece, I'm personally waiting for 4k 120hz. The panel manufacturers are incredibly slow to roll this out. And with that, I'd also go as far as to say, I'd take the further visual fidelity of 4k/IPS/DCI-P3/HDR + 120Hz over 144Hz+. After 120Hz, there is diminishing returns (to me).

I'm also rather annoyed that BFGD (which we were promised over a year ago) still hasn't arrived yet. BFGD I think would push TV manufacturers and other monitor companies to start amping the 4k 120hz arms race. I personally don't want a BFGD (because I'm generally speaking not buying nVidia parts), but like I say, it will get other manufacturers to start making competing stuff.

EDIT 2: HDR is for visual fidelity. It doesn't have anything to do with high frame rates or frame syncing.

Last edited:
I don't need an ultra high refresh rate monitor, but even I know that people interested in rendering that many frames aren't concerned with (just) smoothness. They are concerned about more data to their eyes and what it allows them to do from a reaction time perspective (not of the panel, although that helps, but in their own physical movements). Where people (or me in this case) question that is: "Does having 100 extra frames matter over 144hz?"
Some that play primarily FPS games like CS:GO or Overwatch or perhaps Fortnite in a competitive environment would say "yes" and others "no". I've already weighed in my personal opinion in the great debate, that having the capability of displaying an extra 100 fps doesn't matter to me and I'd rather have a resolution increase and a panel fidelity increase (IPS over TN) rather than an extra 100 frames (or rather just the upwards capability of displaying another 100 frames. Whether it's even possible to consistently get 240 frames a second, all the time, always, is an entirely different can of worms).

EDIT: Since I've basically already given an entire opinion piece, I'm personally waiting for 4k 120hz. The panel manufacturers are incredibly slow to roll this out. And with that, I'd also go as far as to say, I'd take the further visual fidelity of 4k/IPS/DCI-P3/HDR + 120Hz over 144Hz+. After 120Hz, there is diminishing returns (to me).

I'm also rather annoyed that BFGD (which we were promised over a year ago) still hasn't arrived yet. BFGD I think would push TV manufacturers and other monitor companies to start amping the 4k 120hz arms race. I personally don't want a BFGD (because I'm generally speaking not buying nVidia parts), but like I say, it will get other manufacturers to start making competing stuff.

EDIT 2: HDR is for visual fidelity. It doesn't have anything to do with high frame rates or frame syncing.

There will be more TVs coming out with free sync. Xbox already supports it and I think playstation will support it eventually as well. Af far as BFGD goes! Nvidia has priced it for the luxury class. Cuz I am not sure how it’s going to push other manufacturer when it’s going to cost 5k or somewhere around there. Another overpriced nvidia junk. It will be the consoles that push tv makers to step up I think. Not bfgd. It’s alteady delayed and on top too expensive.

There will be more TVs coming out with free sync. Xbox already supports it and I think playstation will support it eventually as well. Af far as BFGD goes! Nvidia has priced it for the luxury class. Cuz I am not sure how it’s going to push other manufacturer when it’s going to cost 5k or somewhere around there. Another overpriced nvidia junk. It will be the consoles that push tv makers to step up I think. Not bfgd. It’s alteady delayed and on top too expensive.

It’s not just having some form of sync, it’s also about having 4K + 120hz. And most TV manufacturers don’t have an incentive to make a tv above 60hz, outside of gaming and likely whether or not the ps5 and Xbox 4 (whatever it will be called) support refresh rates above 60hz (which I find to be unlikely).

I hope it happens. I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t find it likely without gaming hardware manufacturers pushing for it.

true about HDR. Never really said it had anything to do with high frame rates or frame syncing. As far as 4k 120hz. There is a gsync one below, but honestly if never see myself paying that much for a monitor, I am cool with my 1440P 144hz Freesync 2 HDR monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...8&qid=1539632258&sr=8-1&keywords=gsync+4k+hdr

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back