Active Directory health check and reporting

boss6021

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I know there are tools from Microsoft that will do health checks, but they have very limited reporting abilities.

What software are you guys using to do reporting to customers? I would like something that will examine an environment and report on the current issues it has.

Thanks

SBS/Essentials has reports built-in. Otherwise there is System Center Operation Manager.

SBS/Essentials has reports built-in. Otherwise there is System Center Operation Manager.

Understood. I am looking for reporting that is easy to understand for non-technical managers. This will also be for Operating systems pre 2008 at times. Like I stated, the reports that come with 2008+ are inadequate. Ideally, I would like something that has a counsultant license model, and does diagnostics and reporting in one package. So far, the closest to this has been from Quest, but is far too expensive.

Thanks

Specifically for Active Directory I like ManageEngine's AD suite. Has all sorts of reporting, auditing, and automation for a relatively cheap cost. I would recommend this is for small, medium, and large sized businesses but quite at the enterprise level.

I would ask what do you mean by reporting? What do you want to report on?

There are a ton of different layers and aspects to AD that you could report on, and that will drive the tool you need.

Hi,

The identity and access management infrastructure for many enterprises are based on Microsoft Active Directory.

JiJi Active Directory Reports provides the web portal for generating AD compliance reports.
With the wide variety of adhoc reports on AD resources, it supports inventory and compliance auditing.

Features
- Insightful charts at the home page as a gateway for reports
- Inbuilt reports with the flexibility to be edited to create a new report using conditions.
- Create your own AD reports using LDAP /SQL query and conditions from product UI.
- Automation of report creation and notification using Schedulers.

I ended up using the following tools to gather the reporting needed.

ARKAD
ExchangeMAPICDO
JiJi Active Directory Reports
Quest Migration Manager
Quest Reporter
AD Reports
AD Check
ADTD
ADXRAY
Health Scan Wizard
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
Microsoft IT Environment Health Scanner
Microsoft Assessment and Planning Tool
Rapid Fire Network Detective
Quest Discovery Wizard for SQL
Solarwinds NCM

No one tool gave all of the information the client and third party were seeking. Once this information was gathered, I compiled a 700+ page report for them as requested.

Thanks for all of your input.

Cacti -> Free
Nagios - > Free
PRTG - basically the above 2 but cost money, worth it in the end really, takes the best of both of the above and some!

Back