A taste of Nostalgiagasm for you all....

I was 12 when I got the N64.

I remember my mom calling around and finally finding one at Media Play, yea Media Play.

I remember us searching hardcore for an additional controller. They were impossible to find. we ended up finding a third party one at some completely random store that we would have never thought had game stuff...they had 1.

wow, i dont remember games being that expensive, i thought they were in the $20 range but i guess my parents used to buy me them when they were on sale lol

Takes me right back to 7th grade.

Waking up like an extra 30 minutes early before having to go to school and going downstairs in the basement (where we kept our N64) and sneaking in some game time before we had to leave.

I miss going to KB toys in the mall (are they even around?: Haven't seen one in forever) and looking at the games, seeing all the new ones. Back then before we had the internet you'd go to a store and just look at all the games you never heard of before, looking at the back of the boxes and trying to figure out which one you'd actually enjoy and hope it wouldn't end up sucking. Even if you did read gaming magazines (I did) there were still plenty of games that'd slip through the cracks or you just never heard of.

Or having some friends over for the weekend and going to the local video rental store and browsing the new games and picking like 3-5 games to rent for the weekend and playing through them.

Those were the days.

Waking up like an extra 30 minutes early before having to go to school and going downstairs in the basement (where we kept our N64) and sneaking in some game time before we had to leave.

I miss going to KB toys in the mall (are they even around?: Haven't seen one in forever) and looking at the games, seeing all the new ones. Back then before we had the internet you'd go to a store and just look at all the games you never heard of before, looking at the back of the boxes and trying to figure out which one you'd actually enjoy and hope it wouldn't end up sucking. Even if you did read gaming magazines (I did) there were still plenty of games that'd slip through the cracks or you just never heard of.

Or having some friends over for the weekend and going to the local video rental store and browsing the new games and picking like 3-5 games to rent for the weekend and playing through them.

Those were the days.
Computer gaming world was my read with pc mag. Tom vs Bruce :) yea having steam hasbits pros and cons. Not actually owning a game I miss. ..damn drm

The price of SNES games were insane. I remember having my girlfriend when I was 16 buy me secret of mana. The cart cost 80 dollars and that was in 1995.

ROM was not cheap on those days...in 1995 4mb of ram was selling for $1600 a stick.....

ROM was not cheap on those days...in 1995 4mb of ram was selling for $1600 a stick.....

I remember my dads toshiba lap top in the 90s was like 6 grand and hd one of those mobile pentium CPUs and like 49MB of RAM or something. It was a weird off number of RAM and freq. It couldn't even play half life lol. We tried to play counter strike beta 5.2 and it was basically impossible like 8 FPS lol. (this was when it was already a few years old and we were just trying to play vs each other since we only had one desktop since those wete expensive as shit too lol. Voodoo card and all.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/media/...-810-laptop-as-is-for-parts-or-repair-77e.jpg

Looked like that lol.

So yea we got it good now compared to the 90s or heaven forbid the 80s :p I can't imagine paying 6 grand for a laptop that is average performance lol. High end laptops didn't exist back then and if they ddi they be like 20 grand lol.

I remember my dads toshiba lap top in the 90s was like 6 grand and hd one of those mobile pentium CPUs and like 49MB of RAM or something. It was a weird off number of RAM and freq. It couldn't even play half life lol. We tried to play counter strike beta 5.2 and it was basically impossible like 8 FPS lol. (this was when it was already a few years old and we were just trying to play vs each other since we only had one desktop since those wete expensive as shit too lol. Voodoo card and all.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/media/...-810-laptop-as-is-for-parts-or-repair-77e.jpg

Looked like that lol.

So yea we got it good now compared to the 90s or heaven forbid the 80s :p I can't imagine paying 6 grand for a laptop that is average performance lol. High end laptops didn't exist back then and if they ddi they be like 20 grand lol.

Lol, I have that exact laptop sitting on a shelf next to me at work. We have a bookshelf full of all sorts of old computer stuff, just for nostalgia/fun.

As someone born in the communist block, we never could afford any of these consoles in the 90s. I don't even remember anyone owning a gaming console in my entire school. The most wealthy kid had a Pentium 166 computer in 1996, but that was it.

Those were the days.

makes me think of the 9th grade. Every morning, Duke3d, Kali, and DOS...MP goodness before school.

Speaking of PC gaming.

How many of you went with consoles before pc gaming?

My first taste of gaming on pc was at school, circa the early late 80's/early 90's, I don't even remember what computer it was exactly but in like the 3rd grade we had a computer in the classroom and if you wanted to you could play on it. I remember some friends and I huddling around it playing Super Tecmo Bowl.

Then in 4th/5th grade it was Oregon Trail and Where in The World is Carmen Sandiego.

Later on in 7th grade I believe, in our math class we had a couple of computers and the teacher had put some games on them, one of them being Police Quest. This game was hilarious, we'd spend so much time typing stupid things into it to see what'd work and not working, you'd be surprised at the jokes you'd find in that game.

Finally got my own computer around that time too and it was off to classic adventure games (Gabriel Knight) and all sorts of amazing games.

I never stopped playing either since then, when I could afford it at least.

I was in line at 5am for the N64 the day it came out. RAN to the electronics section and grabbed one up, and extra controller, and 3 games for a cool $400. Still got it in a box somewhere. Maybe I'll fire it up one day for some Killer Instinct Gold.

Speaking of PC gaming.

How many of you went with consoles before pc gaming?

My first taste of gaming on pc was at school, circa the early late 80's/early 90's, I don't even remember what computer it was exactly but in like the 3rd grade we had a computer in the classroom and if you wanted to you could play on it. I remember some friends and I huddling around it playing Super Tecmo Bowl.

Then in 4th/5th grade it was Oregon Trail and Where in The World is Carmen Sandiego.

Later on in 7th grade I believe, in our math class we had a couple of computers and the teacher had put some games on them, one of them being Police Quest. This game was hilarious, we'd spend so much time typing stupid things into it to see what'd work and not working, you'd be surprised at the jokes you'd find in that game.

Finally got my own computer around that time too and it was off to classic adventure games (Gabriel Knight) and all sorts of amazing games.

I never stopped playing either since then, when I could afford it at least.

My first game system was the Sega Genesis.
I was like 6 or 7 at most. It came with Sonic Pinball and a second controller.

Oregon Trail was awesome back in elementary school. Buffalo hunting FTW!

A Labor day BBQ in 2000( I was 12), my dads friend brought over counter-strike to play on our PC. (HP Pavilion, 733 MHZ P3, 16 MB Nvidia Vanta Lt, 128 MB SDRAM and a huge 40 gig hard drive ) Ballin!
This was my first PC MULTIPLAYER game.
I was hooked instantly. I've never cut school for anything, except for that game. lolol
Funny too, my dads friend played with the arrow keys instead of the AWSD keys, so that's what I used for like 2 or 3 years.

My dad hated me playing it, so he deleted it off of the family computer every time he saw it. So what I would do is install it, update it, play it at night when everyone was asleep and then delete/uninstall it before I got off, every time. lol
His friend made me a second copy of the half life disc with out my dad knowing about it. lolol

Good times back in the day when CD Keys weren't used. haha

Last edited:
My first game system was the Sega Genesis.
I was like 6 or 7 at most. It came with Sonic Pinball and a second controller.

Oregon Trail was awesome back in elementary school. Buffalo hunting FTW!

A Labor day BBQ in 2000( I was 12), my dads friend brought over counter-strike to play on our PC. (HP Pavilion, 733 MHZ P3, 16 MB Nvidia Vanta Lt, 128 MB SDRAM and a huge 40 gig hard drive ) Ballin!
This was my first PC MULTIPLAYER game.
I was hooked instantly. I've never cut school for anything, except for that game. lolol
Funny too, my dads friend played with the arrow keys instead of the AWSD keys, so that's what I used for like 2 or 3 years.

My dad hated me playing it, so he deleted it off of the family computer every time he saw it. So what I would do is install it, update it, play it at night when everyone was asleep and then delete/uninstall it before I got off, every time. lol
His friend made me a second copy of the half life disc with out my dad knowing about it. lolol

Good times back in the day when CD Keys weren't used. haha

lol I remember having one of those old "cd folders" crammed with games that i'd take over to a friends house and play and we'd exchange games if one of us didn't have it or wanted to try it.

Cd keys came along and ruined that, at least if you wanted to play online of any kind. Also sucked buying a game only to realize it sucked and not being able to take it back to babbages or eb games if it was "opened" because they had no way of knowing if you used the cd key or not.

Can't say I miss lugging that crap around though.

PCgamer and quake 2 article with 3d card looked amazing.. WOW! It really didnt matter the platform, there was magic in the air for all of them..

Back