A couple of older NAS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

souwen

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2 older NAS systems, I wonder if anyone would like. Prices are OBO+ Actual Shipping

1. Lenovo iomega 2 bay system, stock OS, 1 usb 2.0, 1-1gb NIC, currenty 2-3TBs in RAID 0 - been running this for 6+ years now $80 w/drives
20230725_142111.jpg20230725_142128.jpg

2. Bufflo Terrastaion Quad pro 4 bay system, PC rom so you need to use 1 bay for the OS, 2-2.0 2-3.0 USB, 2-1Gb NIC - Just bought this off a local guy, but I think it's to slow cpu to do what I want $80 NO Drives20230725_142105.jpg20230725_142140.jpg

Last edited:
Does this model ix2 store the firmware on a drive or itself? Ie, can you use it if you want to put in a different set of drives? I have an ix2-dl so am familiar with these and their quirks, hence the question.

This one is embedded firmware. I got it with no drives
Thank you. What are the drives that you currently have in it? Did you have any problems with performance as the volume got full? What version of the firmware is currently installed?

latest firmware for the this unit Version:4.1.408.34845
currently running 2- 3TB toshiba HDWD130 drives, I pulled them and check SMART from a usb dock - NO ERRORS at all.
Again I have been running this setup for workstation/phone (pics) backup and media storage (another PC was serving it with Jellyfin), for about 5-6 years with no problems

it does have built-in HTTP management and sharing, FTP, Rsync, NFS, SMB and a bunch more protocols

Last edited:
latest firmware for the this unit Version:4.1.408.34845
currently running 2- 3TB toshiba drives, I pulled them and check SMART from a usb dock - NO ERRORS at all. I think this unit is only sata1 and is only 10/100 so not fast transfer even empty.
Again I have been running this setup for workstation/phone (pics) backup and media storage (another PC was serving it with Jellyfin), for about 5-6 years with no problems

it does have built-in HTTP management and sharing, FTP, Rsync, NFS, SMB and a bunch more protocols
Thank you for the additional details. Any idea what the poh on those Toshibas are? Surprising yours is only 10/100 as mine is gigabit and all the documentation I have run into says yours should also be gigabit. Is yours maxing out at 10MB/sec read and write?

Yep, pretty familiar with the unit--just trying to see if it's basically the same as the one I have or where it is different. FWIW, I've been able to install an 18TB drive in mine no problem.

POH - equaled 5-6 years, I don't remember the exact number over 45,000 each DoM was Oct 2016, so thet were new at the time
I guess it just seems slow after doing SSD transfers - getting 53MBps on a test dump. I looked of the specs they are SATA2 bays with 1Gb NIC
specs also say 128MB ram, mine is show 241MB available

Last edited:
well, I might be wrong about everything in this unit... it has been 6 years since I got. I'm pretty sure it was an ebay purchase, I thought it didn't come with any drivers. now that I'm playing with it again. I can't connect to it without any drives.
I'm going to try and boot it with a blank 1tb drive

Does this model ix2 store the firmware on a drive or itself? Ie, can you use it if you want to put in a different set of drives? I have an ix2-dl so am familiar with these and their quirks, hence the question.
must be it keeps it on the drives. it won't boot with the 3Tb drives at least one of them

POH - equaled 5-6 years, I don't remember the exact number over 45,000 each DoM was Oct 2016, so thet were new at the time
I guess it just seems slow after doing SSD transfers - getting 53MBps on a test dump. I looked of the specs they are SATA2 bays with 1Gb NIC
specs also say 128MB ram, mine is show 241MB available
Thank you for the additional information--yep that's like how fast my existing one is, so that sounds about right.
well, I might be wrong about everything in this unit... it has been 6 years since I got. I'm pretty sure it was an ebay purchase, I thought it didn't come with any drivers. now that I'm playing with it again. I can't connect to it without any drives.
I'm going to try and boot it with a blank 1tb drive
must be it keeps it on the drives. it won't boot with the 3Tb drives at least one of them
It won't boot without any drives--you have to put in a drive and it has to be initially set up. If you can't do this with the 1TB then you might be right--it might have the firmware on the drives and not on the unit, which means it's going to be dead without the drives and the firmware on it. There are restoration packages for it for when this happens, but it's not as easy as the newest synology/qnap/etc units that you just pop in a new drive and that's it.

I didn't really give it any time with the 1TB drive. I just couldn't ping it and it had a red power light, with no drive activity.

I didn't really give it any time with the 1TB drive. I just couldn't ping it and it had a red power light, with no drive activity.
When I was testing an 18TB drive in mine, I was able to get to the webui and then see the drive there without formatting it. I then put back in my 8TB and it was back to normal. Yours is a different model so it might need to be reset or something like that to set up the 1TB drive.

thanks for all the info, I'll just sell it with the 2 3TB drives. Are you interested?

thanks for all the info, I'll just sell it with the 2 3TB drives. Are you interested?
I am, but was more interested in it if it had the firmware on the unit like my ix2-dl so it won't completely die when the drives die. If you make me a solid deal on it, I'll probably take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back