9th Annual BOINC Pentathlon 2018 Strategy & Preparation

fastgeek proxy went down again. We should be able to get it back as long as we have no more surprises once he turns it back on.

If he can before the end.

sure hope Fastgeek or someone has something in reserve. If we do poorly in rosetta at the end we might want to move everything into NF and forget about asteroids...

Not much bunker from me, at most 10K+ from one rig which I will release in a few hours.

I'll do asteroid for maybe 2-3 days, just to keep our overall team position and switch all to NF in the remainder days and hopefully we get to the podium once for the first time in the Pentathlon history.

Some good teams are playing the bunker very well. Thus far, we were pretty quick off the block but unable to catch up at the end of the race as I see it.

BTW, if we want to do NF, we should bunker, keep our output low and other teams will guess if we are running asteroid or NF, at least for the CPU projects. Let them guess wrong.

But we need a few people on board.

Happy to go whichever way the team decides. I've got significant amounts of Asteroids and Primegrid bunkering though. I was planning a bomb drop on Tuesday or Wednesday but I can change course.

I'm not sure what's going on, but am having major issues with keeping the proxy up. Could be IT has finally gotten wise, or my web host. Could also be a fluke. Sometimes it's stable for days, or a couple weeks; other times it will have some sort of issue every few minutes. Could also be due to the sheer amount of simultaneous traffic that's happening. Did login remotely ~8 hours ago and reconnected it a couple times. Some systems made contact with the project, and the connection was still up when I disconnected, but no additional systems have updated since. Will try reconnecting later, but really do hate doing that via remote sessions. *paranoid*

Yep, once Rosetta closes out we'll have to reconvene and decide the final strategy.

I still want a better overall position than a single medal in one of the sub projects.

That's my opinion, but right now I am aiming for a top 5 finish overall and 3 in the marathon. I've got a small asteroids bunker to drop as well. once Rosetta is over I will be switching everything over to Asteroids in hopes to keep us in the top 5 overall.

wonder if we should come up with a better system for consensus. so far in the comp we have all expressed a lot of opinions but unless i am missing something we are not tracking any official strategy plan. I mean we are doing pretty good with an informal method don't get me wrong, but just a thought

With 2hrs left on rosetta i wonder if we are going to see the next bunkers drop with in the hour. I had a machine that stopped uploading to rosetta not sure why but i got it back on . had about 8rs of not updating, not much but everything counts at this point :)

Very risky to dump a bunker this late. Something goes wrong it's nearly impossible to fix it in time.

Come on atp1916, we need you badly bro.

I am dumping a very small cache of work from the box I was testing upload speeds with. Not sure if it will help...but that is about it.

wonder if we should come up with a better system for consensus. so far in the comp we have all expressed a lot of opinions but unless i am missing something we are not tracking any official strategy plan. I mean we are doing pretty good with an informal method don't get me wrong, but just a thought

Most all the people I have recruited I've got PMs going with them telling them where to move their systems. haha

Most all the people I have recruited I've got PMs going with them telling them where to move their systems. haha

I had dark eagle move his GPU to prime on friday, but my other 3 recruits won't commit theirs and i figured it would be easier to keep them on NF the whole time. There output hasn't been huge but might equal around 500k on NF when all is said and done, so i can't complain. Seems likely that Darkeagle might keep on crunching for us in future sprints and i might be able to pull in the others depending. I think Darkeagle is starting to get the crunching bug :ROFLMAO:

While we didn't get a medal the 4th place was pretty good and its nice that we edged out both TC and Seti.germany. to bad those crazy czech's came out of nowhere to mess things up.

Get them on here!

Dark eagle told me he is "lurking" but he isn't really one to post. he does read this thread every so often . the others were hard to get to commit and i don't want to harass them anymore at this point. maybe after the contest i can try that :D

No one except the few elites with the password can read this thread. :p

Nah I wouldn't do that.

Whats his name on here? Asking for a friend.

hmm maybe he didn't register yet since i can't find him and he uses the same name for everything. maybe he was just reading the open DC forum *shrug

So after everything, four of my systems have been offline since the 11th UTC and I have no idea why. Unfortunately they were high end boxes, too. 2P-6136, 2P-5118, two 4P E5-4640s and the 4P E7-8867. I don't know why this was the case and wasn't comfortable with trying to work on them remotely. But am pissed as it could've very well been the difference between 4th and 3rd. Sorry, team. :(

It's all good man. If you haven't already toss things on Asteroids, but we need to watch numberfields closely. I fear our 3rd may be challenged by TC soon.

Everyone is bunkering asteroids it seems. Look how low all the scores are for each team!

Aren't all tasks the same 480 points like GPU tasks?

This is when people need to decide quick... if you are going to hit Asteroids hard...load up on work to increase possibility of validation. If you are not...then run Numberfields to secure our place at 3rd. This is critical people.

So after everything, four of my systems have been offline since the 11th UTC and I have no idea why. Unfortunately they were high end boxes, too. 2P-6136, 2P-5118, two 4P E5-4640s and the 4P E7-8867. I don't know why this was the case and wasn't comfortable with trying to work on them remotely. But am pissed as it could've very well been the difference between 4th and 3rd. Sorry, team. :(

You have no reason to apologize for anything. Your output has been amazing.

Back