8GB systems...

Slade

2[H]4U
4x 2GB pieces... if 2 pieces ran fine at 1.8V and another 2 pieces prove to run fine at 1.8V then if both are installed (overclocked CPU mind you) then possible that 1.8 might not be enough voltage for the 4?

RAM testing takes awhile so I'm just running with some ideas in my head as to why all 4 are failing prime in 5 mins when all are installed but passing when in pairs...

some systems aren't stable with 8gb of ram and overclocked sadly.

What is your NB voltage currently set to? And did you increase it when you added the second 2x2GB sticks? 4 sticks of RAM is more stress on the NB than 2 sticks, so a voltage bump is usually needed to work properly.

Also, is 1.8v the max as recommended by Mushkin? If not, increase the voltage after seeing if a NBv increase solves the problem.

I never considered the stress on the NB, I'll play with that setting first.

The ram is good up to 2.1V, but temps go up quite a bit with a voltage bump, add in the fact that all 4 are in proximity to each other now...

System was prime stable for 48hrs with 4gb, but with 8gb I kinda skipped the testing. No setting changes other than adding ram which makes me think I need to tweak, but went here first for ideas on culprits for failing prime.

edit.

NB options are 1.25, 1.40, 1.55, 1.70... which one is default? I'm trying 1.40 right now since logically 1.25 would "sound" like default. Prior setting is that I left it on auto.

edit
Went to 1.55 as had explorer just lock on me.. but prime was working fine past the 5 min mark...

Did 1.40v on NB not pass Prime?

EDIT: Oh, did you mean explorer locked up on you with 1.40 NBv?

1.4 and 1.85 gave up the ghost, prime failed within 30 mins

trying 1.55 NB and 1.85ram

1.85v is way too much NBv. 1.55v may be too much too, you'll have to check on that. I'd try upping the DRAM voltage to 2.1v. Also, make sure the RAM speed and timings aren't OC'd. Set the speed to 1:1 with the FSB and the timings to 5-5-5-18, if you haven't already.

1.85 is what I set the RAM to, 1.55 is the most I've tried for the NB and the max is 1.70, RAM is undertimed to 5-5-5-15 and each set has been individually tested at 1.8 and 450 and 5-5-5-15 for 48 hr prime stable, it's when all together that something is not working...

currently trying a combo of 1.55 NB and 1.90 RAM, it seems as though the increased NB is working. I'm doubting the ram itself requires a big bump in voltage considering how stable each pair is on its own, but both sets probably need a bit more voltage as now we have 4 pieces grabbing power. I understand the NB straining to map to 4 pieces of ram so I'll play some more with 1.55.

MB temps are fairly good, about 43C, though getting toasty on the NB I think, I'll have to track down my infrared thermostat to test the NB better.

Just wondering... would dropping the multiplier from 9x to 8x while ramping up the FSB from 1600 to 1800 or higher allow for better performance with the DDR2-1000 RAM I have? My system is extremely stable but I always like knowing if I can push some more power from it while on air.

Just wondering... would dropping the multiplier from 9x to 8x while ramping up the FSB from 1600 to 1800 or higher allow for better performance with the DDR2-1000 RAM I have? My system is extremely stable but I always like knowing if I can push some more power from it while on air.

Yes, higher FSB with lower CPU multiplier is better performance than lower FSB with higher multiplier. The higher your FSB gets, though, the harder it will be to maintain stability.

1.55 and 1.90 failed... looks like I'm on verge of a break through

Auto and 2.0 lasted almost 2 hours

going with the 1.55NB and 2.0RAM now as it seems increasing the nb voltage helped and increasing the ram helped so a combo of both may equal toast or it may work out.

Progress is good. Hopefully you find a setting that works. You may want to see if 1.55v is safe for the P5K Deluxe NB chipset, though.

Bump your RAM voltage just a hair. With the extra current needed by 4 sticks, you'll experience a bit of voltage drop. Start at like 1.9 and maybe bump from there.

Going to let it toast itself with 4gb and 2 sticks to make sure the ram is safe. So far it's at 6hr+ and still chugging. It failed at 1.55 and 2.0V, I'm going to verify each pair individually first then subject it to the frying pan of 1.55 and 2.1, if that still fails... well there's always 3.6ghz with 9x400... but repeated testing for me shows 8x450 to be significantly faster especially with video encoding 20% faster in some cases. Also when I compile programs, run heavy iteration type code and data parsing, the faster ram shows itself to be faster. Game wise, a few fps here and there, HL2 engine games showed the same benefit as the encoding, especially when dealing with HDR lighting.

Anyone else with a P5K and running 4 sticks? I don't think it's specifically a 8gb issue anymore but a 4 stick issue...

Back