8 Core Opteron for $416

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
If any of you are interested, geeks.com has Opteron 2356 (2.3GHz Quad) for $178 refurb, but guaranteed. Compare that to newegg's $700.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=OS2356WAL4BGD-R&cat=CPU
They have 9 left as of tonight.

They also have a board for it for $62, but i dont know that I would buy a refurb board, newegg has a tyan dual socket F for $60 as well though.

I wish I hadn't just built my single-quad system, cause I'd be on this.

Just wondering, how do these things perform compared to a Core 2 Quad at the same speeds? I have no need for eight cores just yet, but... curious :D.

Hopefully someone else knows, I have no idea as I don't have any experience with the opterons or xeons at home. I would assume damn close to my Phenom 9650 which has the same clock and cache.

Well unless your running some program that can actually use 8 threads, I'd hit up a dual core or quad Intel and overclock the crap out of it. Even at stock speeds, programs that make use of 1-2 cores would benefit much more w/ the intel platform/higher clocks.

Well unless your running some program that can actually use 8 threads, I'd hit up a dual core or quad Intel and overclock the crap out of it. Even at stock speeds, programs that make use of 1-2 cores would benefit much more w/ the intel platform/higher clocks.
Might not be the greatest for a workstation, but this is a nice deal if you're looking to make one hell of a 3D rendering workhorse. :D

woah dang this would have been an awesome deal for a powerful server/workstation.... the MB is still in stock and now at only $39! If the cpu was still in stock... it would be $310 + $39 (MB) + shipping... let's just say $400 shipped. Add in 8 sticks of DDR2 2GB from newegg ($240 total), throw in a 260GTX card and you yourself a very well equipped workstation/rendering machine for around $1000!

I think a better deal is a Dell refurb 540 desktop
6gb, 750gb HDD, dvdrw, quad core 2.33ghz (1.33ghz fsb) ATI vid card and Vista 64bit for $509

they have some 2x 640gb HDD and 8gb ones for $609
but for 509 you still get 4 cores like the Opty deal

Yep, thats the section with the nice deals.
another plus is the machine will be super quiet.

geeks.com has several dual opty 2ghz/4gb ddr/120gb ide 1U machines for 159, I especially like the 1/2 depth 'Rackable' brand system, those would be perfect for Untangle boxes for small bus or home

There's a pair of 1.8GHz quad opterons on ebay right now for $150 "buy it now", that fit that board as well. $190... not bad. I was thinking more of a Virtual Server though.

B2 stepping.... It has the bug.

Prices on the Barcelonas are dropping with the release of the 45nm Shanghai chips.

the processors mentioned have the TLB bug

It usually shows when the cpu is under 100% load.
after doing some research it seems that the bug only shows on single socket F boards, and it does not appear when infected chips are used on dual or quad socket motherboards.

K-TRON

The 2356 is back in stock at geeks.com for $155 now, I think KTRON was referring to the 1.8GHz model, because I just read up on the 2356 and it appears to be B3 with no TLB bug. Of course, now they dont have the motherboard in stock, and newegg's went up to $80, oh well. If they're still available on the 1st, I'm buying two.

Yeah, OS2356WAL4BGD is a B3 stepping. Since this is not a "geek special" you can use a 10% off coupon code like "MCEXCLUSIVES", "FATWALLET" or other codes. There are 16 of those CPUs in stock right now.

If the board was still available, you could get that and 2 quad opterons for ~$333 (or $340) + shipping (and tax in CA) after 10% coupon. Smoking hot.

Back